Does anyone here use Over-eaters Anonymous? Does it work?

frakasattack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By frakasattack

I definitely need to go to some meetings but the only one near me is near where I work . It's kind of embarassing but does anyone know what they do there? Is it a 12-Step type program? Would I be able to meet friends there? Like are we allowed to have sponsers? How is it working for those people that go? THanks for any info, guys.

nemt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By nemt

Are you actually affected by a psychological compulsion to overeat, or do you just lack the willpower to diet and exercise?

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Not sure if troll or guerrilla marketer.

frakasattack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By frakasattack
@nemt said:

Are you actually affected by a psychological compulsion to overeat, or do you just lack the willpower to diet and exercise?

Wow, that's kind of deep and I'm not really sure what the difference between the two is but I definitely do have a problem with something mental about eating.
frakasattack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By frakasattack
@528seven said:

Not sure if troll or guerrilla marketer.

Trust me, brother, I WISH I were one or the other. Although I'm not really sure how marketing would work for OA since they don't charge anything. I went onto a couple other of my favorite website forums and posted this question and for some reason of all the very cruel comments this one cuts the most. :(
duskvamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By duskvamp

I reserve my right to anonymity. 

theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By theguy

This exists? That makes me sad.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#8  Edited By Sin4profit

@frakasattack: shouldn't be embarrassed fer tryin to better yerself, brah.

frakasattack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By frakasattack
@theguy said:
Why would it make you sad?
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Xeiphyer

If someone admits to going to it, that kind of makes it not anonymous.

Loose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Loose
@Xeiphyer said:
If someone admits to going to it, that kind of makes it not anonymous.
theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By theguy
@frakasattack said:
@theguy said:
Why would it make you sad?
Because being fat is not a disease. ( I know that in some cases there are physical and psychological conditions beyond your control, I'm talking about the vast majority of cases) 
 Also look at the steps : 

The Twelve Steps of Overeaters Anonymous

1. We admitted we were powerless over food — that our lives had become unmanageable.
  2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
Powerless over food? There's an easy way to lift the blame from yourself. Power greater than ourselves restore you to sanity sounds like some grade A bullshit. 
Want to lose weight? Eat less and excercise. 

I don't meant to sound harsh thats just how I feel.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By toowalrus

@theguy said:

Powerless over food? There's an easy way to lift the blame from yourself. Power greater than ourselves restore you to sanity sounds like some grade A bullshit. Want to lose weight? Eat less and excercise. I don't meant to sound harsh thats just how I feel.

That's not just how you feel- that's actually how it is. I know a kid who's lost 150 lbs on his willpower alone- that 'powerless over food' shit is... shit.

Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Nate

Dang. Harsh replies. The AA, NA, etc. programs have had great success and most psychologists, social workers, and average people would say go for it. If you have a problem, OA is probably a good place to talk about it with others who have the same problem.  Whether you believe in the "powerlessness over food" or a "higher power" probably doesn't matter as much as the good connections you can make and support you can receive.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Arabes

Support people? Sure. Talk about your problems? Definitely. Admit that you have a problem? Abso-fucking-lutely. State taht you are powerless over that to which you are addicted ? Fucking nonsense. I have never understood that part about 12 step programs, saying that you are powerless and that you need a higher power to save you is fucking bull shit. Only you can save yourself, you just might need some help from other people in the same situation.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By DeeGee

Avoid any 12 step programs, as they are disgusting. All blame is taken away from yourself, that you were somehow helpless to stop what happened and the only thing that can help you is a higher power. Nonsense.

sixtyxcelph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By sixtyxcelph

I don't know anything about OA, but, I can try to offer some helpful advice.  Figuring out what exactly is the problem would be mighty helpful, if you can do that on your own.  For me, personally, I've always had a problem with eating whatever was put in front of me instead of stopping when I was actually full and saving some leftovers.  The easiest trick there is careful portion control.  If the entire bag of chips is not right in front of me, I won't eat the entire bag.  So, at home, baggie everything into portion sizes. Even the bags of chips.  And then when you're getting something snacky, only grab the one bag from the cabinet.  Also try to cook smaller amounts of food.  Or, if you're even more like me, the bags of frozen fish sticks and french fries.  Separate that out into single-meal portions and only ever cook one bag.  If you're eating out a lot, getting smaller portions can be difficult, so, try splitting meals with someone.  Or just not eating out, if that's possible.

Of course, if there's another reason you're overeating, for instance as a coping mechanism for depression, that won't be much help.  All I can really say is I hope you find something to help with that.  And support for either case is important, so, if you don't have that, give OA a look-see, if only for that.

McBEEF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By McBEEF

Just help yourself you dont need a program- if you have to eat, why not eat salad? or water instead of coke? you can do it alone you dont need some higher power nonsense.

oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By oatz

You know what works best? Not drinking that you're-powerless-kool aid and just not overeating.

sixtyxcelph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By sixtyxcelph
@oatz: It's not always as simple as that.  A person's certainly not powerless but sometimes you need some tips to trick your mind away from a habit.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22  Edited By crusader8463

It's funny reading all the people who never had to live with being overweight saying stupid stuff like just do it. If it was that easy to do no one would be overweight.

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By hoossy

Don't listen to these assholes. 

You shouldn't judge something that you have never had to deal with.  The fact of the matter is, ANYTHING that produces endorphins in your has the opportunity to become an addiction.  Add the fact that America has an extremely unhealthy culture that promotes eating huge portions of processed foods, and I'd say there are probably plenty of people who suffer from this. 
Just because I don't, and am not someone who personally believes in a higher power, doesn't mean that a 12 step program can't be of use for this guy/gal. 

Like it or not, these programs have worked for millions of people.  It is the constant blaming of yourself that fuels the problem.  I know my constant self doubt of my own abilities have greatly hurt my abilities in college, etc.  A support system can be incredibly beneficial.  Hell, the only reason why I ever work out is because I can do so with others! 

Search the internet and local papers, I'm sure you'lll find something.  Good luck.

Rave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Rave

Its always surprising to me when I see any topic related to weight on these forums, so many people in this community are insensitive and assholes to over weight people. I hate people who preach to people that are over weight thinking they are actually better people because they are not. Anyway I dont know anything about this program but I have a friend who is in AA when he was recovering from a drug problem and it works for him. Well the program may not always work, having a group of people with similar problems to go through will maybe help you build a support group of friends that can actually relate to your problems.

I think you should check it out, it may be the first step for you to change your life. Sure it maybe a little embarrassing but everyone has something they would like to change about themselves.