[Excercise] These shoes are made for walking

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bill_mcneal

Long and short of it is that I've decided to get my lazy ass up and in shape, mainly focusing on cardio. To do so I've started walking and will graduate to jogging and then running. What I'm looking for is suggestions on good--but affordable--shoes. I'm going to stick with this, but still don't want to spend a ton (at least right now).

[edit] And a question for the guys, boxers or boxer briefs?

xGryfter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By xGryfter
thatbendorf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fila and Sketchers are my go to running shoe. And they're pretty affordable. Pumas are great too, but might be a little more pricey. New Balance and Asics are great if you can find a deal. I'd suggest doing a little digging on Amazon, you can find some really good deals on last year's model of shoe.

Also, if you're just walking, or jogging under 3 miles, boxers will be fine. Anything over that and you might wanna step up to boxer briefs to keep from chafing....speaking from personal experience.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4  Edited By LawGamer

@bill_mcneal said:

Long and short of it is that I've decided to get my lazy ass up and in shape, mainly focusing on cardio. To do so I've started walking and will graduate to jogging and then running. What I'm looking for is suggestions on good--but affordable--shoes. I'm going to stick with this, but still don't want to spend a ton (at least right now).

[edit] And a question for the guys, boxers or boxer briefs?

A couple of other options include compression shorts or going commando. Ultimately the biggest factor is going to be comfort - a lot of runners suffer from chafing and consequently wear tighter clothing that isn't as likely to bunch up. The only hard and fast advice I'd give is to avoid anything made of cotton. It's just going to absorb sweat and end up being chafe-y and nasty. If you pick up a pair of running shorts, I'd also check the support lining before you buy them. It's gotten better in recent years, but a lot of brands still have a really thick band of stitching on the leg holes of the liners that gets obnoxious.

EDIT: I may as well answer your original question as well. I wear New Balance. The problem for me is that I have alien duck feet that are ridiculously wide and have really high arches, so New Balance is about the only brand I can wear. I've had bad experience with Nike and Asics in the past. Nikes tend to be really narrow and Asics have ridiculous amounts of thick padding that screw with the fit and I always have to take out. Like the shorts thing, it's all about comfort. Also keep in mind that shoe companies have an obnoxious habit of changing everything about their shoes every year, so if you find a pair you really like, buy more than one so you have a spare if the next year's model sucks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5879a8792e775
deactivated-5879a8792e775

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Boxer briefs....don't listen to anyone else.

I've had Adidas shoes for walking and they are a godsend. No issues whatsoever with comfort. Many styles to choose from but any trail-running shoe is the way to go. I'm a huge hiker so comfortable footwear is very important to me. I have wide feet and Adidas typically fit great and are true to size.

mjhwwbg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mjhwwbg

Good for you buddy! You've got it right in that you need to start slow and build up. Depending on distances you may be alright in whatever shoes you have at the moment. However, as your the length of your walks increase it may be worth considering specific trainers for walking in. When you get to the jogging stage though I'd definitely recommend picking something specific up as you may get injuries from not having appropriate shoes.

Just a few questions so people can help you out in the best possible way:

What country are you based in? Obviously most Nike branded shoes are going to be available anywhere but many of the options at the cheaper end of things (don't worry, you can still pick up something decent) are going to be dependant on where you live. Also, do you have a budget in mind? No amount here is too small, just might mean that your looking at previous years shoes in sales rather than this years designs. Finally, do you have any existing medical stuff with knees, ankles or feet. Nothing too personal but sometimes if you have flat feet (I do!) then it may be that shoes that offer more support are going to be beneficial further down the road.

Once again, congratulations on deciding to do something. Its a positive step!

Edit- Sorry missed the other question! To start off with you'll probably be fine in whatever. However, as those distances start to come up you might be really grateful of picking up some compression shorts as @lawgamer suggests. When I started I didn't really understand what they did but they just create less friction between your legs and they really can transform the enjoyment of walking long distances if you're a heavier guy and suffer from chafing between the legs.

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bill_mcneal

Thanks for the responses so far! At the moment I'm at about 2.5 miles with a couple of pretty steep inclines and haven't had a problem with boxers. Thankfully the weather has cooled (SoCal). I'm glad to see that people have recommended New Balance, I got a pair as a gift last year and they've been a Godsend at work (retail), but they're a little thrashed because of how often I wore them. I really liked the fact that they were light and breathed. I may just clean those up a little and replace the laces for now.

I'll definitely look into what's been suggested and will be suggested. Thanks!

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mjhwwbg: US, Southern California. I've got credit on Amazon from their e-book snafu a while back so that's probably where I'll get them--but it doesn't have to be, I'm open to any retailer with a good deal. I was thinking $100 range is fine, but not too much over.

"If I'm sitting in traffic for most of my commute, a Ferrari isn't going to do me much good" ;)

And no, no medical conditions related to feet/ankles/etc.

I'm currently alternating between a light jog and walking at a brisk pace but know what my limits are. I do work retail and am always on the move (at a rapid pace), so it's not that I don't move, but when I get home I just relax. I'm also not overweight, I just lounge around too much. Thankfully I have a pool too so when thing heat up again (probably pretty soon too).

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

my pair of beat up new balance serve me well, only 30 buckaroos too. my legs are kinda falling asleep while walking sometimes which i really should get checked though.

good luck on your fitness voyage!

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By monetarydread

I think the best option is to go to a proper running store.

The shoes might be marginally more expensive but Running shoes are designed to people's specific gait. For example, I used to have an issue with overpronation when I ran, on your generic pair of running / athletic shoes it would always lead to foot problems or just straight chaffing from the insole rubbing where it shouldn't. If you go into the specialized running store there should be someone there who will look at your gait and biomechanics to pair the right kind of running shoe for the best comfort.

azulot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monetarydread said:

I think the best option is to go to a proper running store.

The shoes might be marginally more expensive but Running shoes are designed to people's specific gait. For example, I used to have an issue with overpronation when I ran, on your generic pair of running / athletic shoes it would always lead to foot problems or just straight chaffing from the insole rubbing where it shouldn't. If you go into the specialized running store there should be someone there who will look at your gait and biomechanics to pair the right kind of running shoe for the best comfort.

I'm also going to suggest a local running store. They can fit you properly and find a shoe that suits you. At my local running store, I bought a pair on clearance ($40), and they were supremely helpful and the most comfortable shoes I've owned to date. As mentioned above, they'll take care of you and make sure it's beneficial to the type of running you'll be pursuing.

Also, I'm female but fiance wears boxer briefs. For his gym visits he has these nice puma athletic ones that are super smooth and prevent chafing as well as like too much sweat buildup and what not. Got them on amazon for a decent price.