Fast 9 is drifting back into theaters this summer

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Poll Fast 9 is drifting back into theaters this summer (289 votes)

Team Jeff 80%
Team Ben 7%
Show me the results 13%
It's been too long
It's been too long

With the full trailer of Fast 9 out, I think we have all heard the news of Hans return. This serious franchise about not being a cop, about ejecto-seato-cuz and about drug tunnels is now introducing resurrection tactics into the mix. So the question to the Giant Bomb community is are you on Team Jeff or Team Ben? Do you think this is absolutely the best move as Jeff does, or do you side with Ben thinking that after all said and done Fast and the Furious took things TOO far?

Personally I'm team Jeff all the way. Bring back Han and give me some of that sweet Tokyo Drift back in the game. Hell I wouldn't mind if they got the main guy from Tokyo Drift to join the gang either cause I just love that dumb movie. At this point, what are rules anyway? What IS life? How can WE judge what an explosion can or can't kill? I mean I've never been in one, I'm no expert.

• 
cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm a big fan of fun, it can't be anywhere near as silly as Hobbs and Shaw and i thought that movie was pretty good.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeff is 100% right.

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyborg Han, 2020.

Or possibly Han's identical twin brother Jan, who has been told about the crew's dynamics by Han so they don't need to spend time adjusting.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#4 chaser324  Moderator

Justin Lin brought back his boy! I'm on board for it.

I can kinda understand Ben's frustration, but bringing back Han has always seemed like a possibility. FF has already done this exact thing before (Letty was dead in FF4 and then back in FF6), and even the introduction of Han into the main crew in Fast Five played fast and loose with the timeline by retconning Tokyo Drift to be in the future.

Now that I've gone back and rewatched that FF6 post-credits scene, there's nothing in there that's 100% conclusive. The door is wide open for them to come up with some sort of explanation for Han surviving. With international terrorists and the Yakuza both wanting you dead, the best option is probably to let them think you're dead, right?

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

There's already precedence for reviving someone (Letty also got blown the hell up in a car, but in FF4), so I'm not really sure where Ben's coming from. Found his reaction a little strange, but I guess it makes sense if you just forgot about Letty's return from the grave.

As someone who really hated 8, and had no interest in seeing a ninth film, bringing back Han was the thing that did it for me. I'm of the same mind as Jeff on this one: I trust that they're going to do a good job here.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Never saw Hobbs and Shaw as Im only interested in mainline F&F movies, I guess. 8 was bad and not the good kind so I was not really looking forward to this, but hearing this new I'm back in dammit.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Fast 8 and Hobs & Shaw proved that it is possible to be too dumb. I'm fine with Han coming back just dont make him a cyborg or a clone. The stuff they did with Letty was fine.

I cant say i'm too hyped about this movie. I feel like they should have stopped after Paul Walker died but of course they didnt. It's still more interesting to me than the dozen or so superhero movies that come out every year though.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

Han is back so...I'm ALL IN!

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@relkin: People forget about the Letty thing a lot and I think it's because Tokyo Drift was the third movie, but canonically it was like sixth? So you've 3 movies worth of knowing he's going to be dead, while Letty is kind of only briefly dead by comparison.

Avatar image for captaincharisma
CaptainCharisma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The more ridiculous the better. They must push the nonsense until they either go into space or Vin Diesel is driving Optimus Prime.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Relkin

@jesus_phish: True. I guess I get how someone could see those two events being different enough for one to be okay and the other to be upsetting. Personally though, bringing someone back from the dead is bringing someone back from the dead. Those stakes haven't existed for most of the franchise's existence, as far as I'm concerned.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Humanity

@jesus_phish: On one hand I think it’s easier to bring someone back from the dead after a longer period of time because it doesn’t feel like a weightless cop out as was the case with bringing back Letty from movie to movie. On the other hand they devoted a lot of time and additional footage showing us that Han is dead which then makes bringing him back feel a lot more contrived as we will inevitably get a third flashback from another angle showing him scurrying away.

Either way it’s not like Fast and the Furious ever had any stakes to begin with so I’m not sure why it would bother anyone. These movies have crossed the Rubicon into comic book territory a long time ago.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

As someone that doesn't take film lore too seriously and wants creators to do whatever they want, give me more dumb shit.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By MezZa

Team Jeff. Han is my favorite character and him coming back has revitalized my interest in 9 to be honest. It's been long enough since the character "died" in the third movie that it still feels significant. Plus, with Lenny coming back, it seemed pretty apparant that they wouldn't let the FF3 favorite stay dead for the rest of the series.

I don't take these movies seriously, so bring on whatever it takes to get the most enjoyable cast of characters into a movie. I'm cool with this series being inexplicably superhuman individuals driving vehicles through extreme secret agent antics.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree and disagree with both. They shouldn't bring Han back but the problem started way earlier when they messed with his death and did the whole making Shaw team up with the good guys.

What's even the point of bringing him back if we're not going to have a dramatic scene with his girlfriend's reaction? But of course Gal Gadot is too big and expensive for them now that she's Wonder Woman.

Fast and Furious died with Paul Walker. The seventh movie was already bad, the eight movie was straight up garbage, and Hobbs and Shaw looked so bad I didn't even want to watch the full trailer. This new movie also looks like trash, it's like they grabbed the characters of this fun and simple racing/detective work franchise and just placed them on a shitty new franchise trying to do a mashup of all the latest action movie trends.

The first three movies will always be the best they did and I highly doubt they will ever manage to do better than those.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brainscratch: If they can afford Dwayne Johnson then they can definitely afford Gal Gadot but her character died in Fast 6 so yah they're probably not going to bring her back for a weird frankenstein reunion - although at this point that would be really hilarious and stupid.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: I completely forgot she died on 6! I thought she still showed up on 7 for some weird reason

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brainscratch: She shows up in 7 in some photo I think. Don't worry, I only know this because I Google'd "Does Gal Gadot die in Fast and Furious" cause I had no idea either. I do vaguely recall her doing a John Woo backwards dive while shooting a bad guy shortly before being run over by the plane I think.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

The last two F&F movies plus Hobbs and Shaw and I can't have high expectations for the series, even for dumb fun.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Yes

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Ben is, of course, wrong.

ildon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If anything, they didn't take things too far enough.

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I already know what the twist will be here. It's gonna be Han's twin brother. Easy call. That's why his hairstyle is a bit different.

Anfortas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Much respect to Ben, love hearing from him always, but this time I gotta side with Jeff. 'Bringing back Han' is a tool to use and I'm glad they used it, the F&F series is better with him in it.

SeriuzBiznus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

FAMILY. I’m with Jeff.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, on the one hand, this movie looks bad but on the other hand, they brought back Han so I'm sold.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#28  Edited By liquiddragon

Bring Jin back you cowards. He's the only good Asian in the FF movies and I’m Asian.

No Caption Provided
Loading Video...

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gonna laugh when it's revealed they went all Tony Almeida (but worse) with Han and they set him up as the big bad of FX.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If we're discounting Hobbs and Shaw we haven't had a bad Fast and Furious movie in a decade so I don't know what ya'll are worried about.

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 6

It looks like Han is back

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By glots

Now that I actually re-watched the scene from Tokyo Drift and then the retconned scene with Statham, I feel like they could do just about anything to explain Han's return, because who cares how it originally happened.

• Have him fly out of the car due to the force of the explosion, without any of the dozens of people watching it from aside noticing it. He loses his memory because of it and something something, until Fast 9 happens.
  • Have the car end up right on top of a manhole cover, with some super agents cutting it open in half a second, along with the car's roof, pulling Han into safety. How exactly were those guys right under that cover at that moment? Doesn't matter.
  • ...I don't know. Those same super agents get him out of the car just before the explosion, again without ANY of the people around seeing it, including the main character who saw the whole crash in Tokyo Drift.
  • Han stays in the car, ends up with horrible burns due to the explosion, but gets treated with some kind of special medicine, because he's just a street racing thug and no one's going to miss him if he dies from complications. Somehow it cures ALL of his wounds, but he has lost his memory. Until it just randomly comes back around the time Fast 9 takes place.
  • ...time travelling?
  • It's his twin brother...OR the one who died in the explosion was his twin brother. I don't know (again).
Nikana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lets be honest...we all are here to see how they bring back Han. THe rest of the movie is just gravy at this point.