First Commentary Channel

JesseG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By JesseG

Hey guys. My friend and I have recently taken our own stab at the whole video game live commentary thing. If a few of you don't mind, could you check it out and let me know what you think? The audio quality isnt 100% yet but I'll be fixing that today and setting up proper microphones. The first game we've been playing through is New Super Mario Bros. for the Wii and it has proven to be quite funny.

The channel is http://www.youtube.com/user/DuaneAndWrigley 

Any feedback, moreso on the commentary itself and not the technical aspect of it would be great. Also any tips on how we can improve would also be appreciated. Thanks guys.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mfpantst
@JesseG said:
" No one? "
beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By beej

You aren't really providing an interesting discussion of the game or anything. I'm sorry but listening to you two say "woooah" and "oh my god" over and over isn't particularly compelling.

JesseG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JesseG

Okay thanks guys. I understand that it's been done, it was more of something that we wanted to do because we thought playing Mario would be fun. Also, beej, there is no interesting discussion about Mario. We aren't like hardcore Call of Duty commentary guys - that's not fun.

JesseG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JesseG

Hey guys, we're still posting our commentary and the episodes we're posting now are some from a later session. We've gotten a bit better but are still looking for ways we can improve. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgfKbxn4oBQ  (a link to a later episode where the overall quality of our commentaries has improved, I believe anyways)

We realize that Mario has been done before but it wasn't something we were doing to get insanely popular or get a lot of views or that kind of thing. We watched MisterFantasmo (big Youtube/Machinima guy) do a dual commentary run of this and it was hilarious so we decided to try our own for fun. About the comment of not saying anything interesting about the game itself - what do you suggest we say about Mario that would be remotely interesting and hasnt been said 1000 times?  

We've really been enjoying doing this and I think for our first time, it isn't bad. We are actually thinking of doing some other games like Splinter Cell: Conviction. I think that'd be pretty funny because it's serious enough to create an interesting discussion about, but difficult and tense enough that our failure and inability to co-operate will generate some good laughs. Do you think that could be good, or something you'd be interested in (if you're into commentaries obviously)?

Any other co-op game suggestions would be really appreciated and feedback (good and bad) would also be appreciated. 

Thanks guys

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By JCTango

Just do it for fun and not worry about what others think (unless you're trying to get into the business).

If you start making it like a job, you might end up stopping because you're not enjoying it like a hobby anymore.

Have fun with your friend doing this sorta thing while you can because as you get older, the opportunity to do this dwindles =(. 

Also, it would be a cool thing to look back on when you're older... and see all the good times you had... untarnished by a "did we do this right?" sort of mentality

Just my 2 cents. :) 

@JesseG said:
Any other co-op game suggestions would be really appreciated and feedback (good and bad) would also be appreciated. 

Hmm... maybe try Army of Two... I've never tried it, but it seems like it would be a pretty good Co-Op thing.

JesseG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JesseG
@JCTango: Yeah we like to do it and will continue to do it because it's fun. But it'd still be nice to have some views, you know what I mean? We like to think we're at least somewhat entertaining and someone enjoys watching us aha. 

Also, Army of Two could be good, I'll definitely consider that one. We'll literally play anything, really terrible games are also okay because it could make it pretty funny.
wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By wrighteous86

If you have nothing interesting to say, maybe you shouldn't do it.  Or at least not be so upset when people say you're not interesting.

JesseG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JesseG
@Wrighteous86: I'm not upset at all. A lot of people do commentaries and don't talk about the game at all (even some very popular game commentators). I was just curious as to what he suggested we say about Mario.
benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By benpack

Just a suggestion try not to take longer than three minutes to start your first level. Jump into the action right away. Also talking about how good you are and how much the other guy sucks might be funny between the two of you, but for us you just sorta seem like a jerk. Not saying that you are, it just comes off that way.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12  Edited By wrighteous86

Fair enough.  If you want honest criticism, I'd say try to have more fun with it.  If you're the guy that was talking about moving it along quickly in the Ep. 15 video you posted, I'd say it's good that you were trying to keep things moving, but just try to have fun, rather than be entertaining.  If you're having fun, the audience probably will, but if you're trying to "be entertaining" it comes across as false.  Then again, the only videos like this I've ever watched are the Endurance Runs on Giant Bomb.

JesseG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JesseG
@GlenTennis: I see what you're saying. Most other episodes jump right into the action because we record like 45-an hour long segments and then I chop them up. This one just happened to be at the beginning of a whole new day so I wanted to recap, but in terms of continuity of the series, you're right. I suppose I should have just cut that out. 

Thanks
JesseG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JesseG
@Wrighteous86: Thanks. I think there are definitely some times we could pick it up. I'll try and work on this on our next session - try and go with the flow a little more if that's what you're getting at.