First day of School.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Edited By Bruce

College. Yeah. Staccato writing. Yes. Anyway, when picking up my High School diploma after our graduation, College seemed like a distant place that I would have several months to prepare for; my first day of school is TOMORROW. I will be starting my French, Math, and English Comp courses, with the intention of majoring in English and then Secondary Education for my Masters. I'm not exactly nervous, OK bullshit, yes I am, but hopefully it won't be that bad as I'm getting used to the 'College life', which for some people I know, meant developing drug habits and being put on academic probation. 

SO, who else is starting College this week? How are you feeling about it, and what are you expecting? For me, it feels like the first day of High School all over again, except now I'm 6' instead of 5'3. However, I still don't know anyone at this place, nor do I know what I'm going to wear tomorrow, so it pretty much is just like my first day of High School.

I think I'll be listening to Daylight on loop for the entire commute, just to maintain a zen-like state of mind.
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Bruce

College. Yeah. Staccato writing. Yes. Anyway, when picking up my High School diploma after our graduation, College seemed like a distant place that I would have several months to prepare for; my first day of school is TOMORROW. I will be starting my French, Math, and English Comp courses, with the intention of majoring in English and then Secondary Education for my Masters. I'm not exactly nervous, OK bullshit, yes I am, but hopefully it won't be that bad as I'm getting used to the 'College life', which for some people I know, meant developing drug habits and being put on academic probation. 

SO, who else is starting College this week? How are you feeling about it, and what are you expecting? For me, it feels like the first day of High School all over again, except now I'm 6' instead of 5'3. However, I still don't know anyone at this place, nor do I know what I'm going to wear tomorrow, so it pretty much is just like my first day of High School.

I think I'll be listening to Daylight on loop for the entire commute, just to maintain a zen-like state of mind.
Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Stang

Good luck Bruce. I miss college a whole lot. The first few weeks will be tough no doubt, but you will assimilate quickly.

Shermanator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Shermanator

My first day of school is four days after my birthday.  I hate high school

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

I started college on August 17th.  

:(

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Stang

Bunch of young bastards on this site. I hate you all!

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By artofwar420

I'm in the shit right now, got some advice for you. Do not procrastinate, it's bad juju.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mikeeegeee

I've always done pretty well at school, so I just applied the familiar formula to college and the grades stayed the same. Have really got procrastination down to a science. Just remember, if you choose to experiment with drugs, which many people do, do so in a responsible manner. You've no right to get stoned or visit boomtown if you've got shit to do. Reward yourself later.

Also, stay away from coke and adderall. If you never needed adderall to study before, you sure as shit don't need it now. Those two are pretty big here at UNL.

Finally, get out and meet people. Your smaller classes are your best bets for that. Lecture halls are pretty devoid of interaction.

nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By nrain

I start univeristy about a month from now, so I got quite a lot of chillaxing before then. Good luck dude.
cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By cloneslayer

I've had classes for a week already :(

college is fun, go to lots of parties and get wasted.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By artofwar420

Don't do the pills or the peyote. Your butt will hurt the next day.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Emilio

Just remember to do you work. ALWAYS. Keep yourself from being distracted by all your gadgets, games, girls, and grogs or you'll start slipping.

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RetroIce4
@Emilio said:

" Just remember to do you work. ALWAYS. Keep yourself from being distracted by all your gadgets, games, girls, and grogs or you'll start slipping. "

Grogs?
tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By tekmojo

Smoke drugs and binge drink, it builds character.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Emilio
@RetroIce4: 
Drinks, ya patootie! 

NOW LETS HAVE A ROUND ON ME!

Waitaminit.
nintendont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By nintendont

first days of school r always the worst
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By artofwar420
@nintendont: I disagree, the first days are the best because there's barely any work to do. Now by midterms, you need a diaper.
Arcavial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Arcavial

I'm with ya. Classes start tomorrow for me as well, but I'm not exactly starting out. Its senior year for me, and I would be all preparing for all that 'real life and responsibility' afterwards, but I've got a masters to work on. So, I'm good.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Having just finished my undergrad degree about a year ago, I've had some time to reflect on things and I'll share some tips with you that I wish someone had shared with me:

• In your college years, you will likely have more free time than at any other point in your life. How you choose to use that free time will play a major role in shaping the rest of your life. Now is the time to decide on the type of person that you want to be and to take the steps necessary to make it a reality.
  • Balance. It's all about balance. Party or Study, Science or English, etc. Choose wisely.
  • Be yourself. Better yet, take the time to figure out who you really are. High schools tend to have a fairly limited diversity of students in comparison to colleges which tends to lead high schoolers into making concessions just to fit into a specific clique. In college, you don't need to do that. Learn what your real interests and beliefs are and learn to deal with the people that don't agree.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Stang said:
"Bunch of young bastards on this site. I hate you all! "
I hate you for being old enough not to go to school anymore and be able to live a relatively free lifestyle.
karneh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By karneh

I'm too kool for skool

Sabata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Sabata

Do the work and go to class.   

No seriously, go to class.  Just by being there you pick up information.  Plus the prof. might will notice you're always there, and that can mean the difference between a B+ and an A (or a C- and a C).

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bruce
@artofwar420: 

Ah, so do my work, and also avoid the post-drug use gay sex. Got it.
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By artofwar420
@Bruce: You got it, but eh... just watch out for girls that want to "peg" you. 
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By iam3green

i have school tomorrow also. i'm a bit nervous of what my classes are going to be like. the thing i like about college is that we start late :) high school i would wake up at like 6:30, but in college i get to wake up at like 8:30, 10. tomorrow i don't have class until 11. i go to community college.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
@artofwar420: Is this a Rebel FM reference on GB? I haven't listened to that podcast for a long time, but I still vividly remember their discussion about "peg parties" when Peggle came out on XBLA.
SgtThom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SgtThom
@artofwar420 said:
" I'm in the shit right now, got some advice for you. Do not procrastinate, it's bad juju. "
troll.
Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Stang
@FluxWaveZ:  Freedom comes with a whole lot of responsibility! I think I remember from a post of yours, you are 15? Have fun while you can....once you are a working stiff life sucks donkey balls.
herreno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By herreno

I start my first year of college next week, I expect to be a year older then most people in my classes because i decided to take a year off.

*sigh*

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Chaser324 said:
" Having just finished my undergrad degree about a year ago, I've had some time to reflect on things and I'll share some tips with you that I wish someone had shared with me:
  • In your college years, you will likely have more free time than at any other point in your life. How you choose to use that free time will play a major role in shaping the rest of your life. Now is the time to decide on the type of person that you want to be and to take the steps necessary to make it a reality.
  • Balance. It's all about balance. Party or Study, Science or English, etc. Choose wisely.
  • Be yourself. Better yet, take the time to figure out who you really are. High schools tend to have a fairly limited diversity of students in comparison to colleges which tends to lead high schoolers into making concessions just to fit into a specific clique. In college, you don't need to do that. Learn what your real interests and beliefs are and learn to deal with the people that don't agree.
"
This sounds like what they'd say in a video game like Fable or something.
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By artofwar420
@Chaser324 said:

" @artofwar420: Is this a Rebel FM reference on GB? I haven't listened to that podcast for a long time, but I still vividly remember their discussion about "peg parties" when Peggle came out on XBLA. "

You made me lol, yes I heard it first there. Great episode.  

Edit: Don't even google "pegging" actually.
chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
@FluxWaveZ: Damn you caught me. I just copied and pasted it from a Molyneux presentation on Fable 3 where he was talking about your hero's college years. LOL.
Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Absurd

I'm starting my last year of high school next week. I don't know how I should feel about that.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
@artofwar420 said:
" @Chaser324 said:

" @artofwar420: Is this a Rebel FM reference on GB? I haven't listened to that podcast for a long time, but I still vividly remember their discussion about "peg parties" when Peggle came out on XBLA. "

You made me lol, yes I heard it first there. Great episode.    Edit: Don't even google "pegging" actually. "
Nice job on the quick edit...people are better off not knowing about "pegging".
ImHungryx10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By ImHungryx10

My first week at college (last week) had it's ups and downs (mostly downs) and it sucks for awhile, but I guess fate will have it where you will meet cool people and have your own fun. But I must say be prepared to go to events and movies by yourself. Not that it's depressing but you have to be comfortable with yourself, alone, before feeling "at home."

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Stang said:
" @FluxWaveZ:  Freedom comes with a whole lot of responsibility! I think I remember from a post of yours, you are 15? Have fun while you can....once you are a working stiff life sucks donkey balls. "
Eh, maybe it's the hormones or something but I'd rather waste my time and suffer but get paid (work) than wasting my time and suffer and all this to supposedly assure my future (school).  And to top it off, this may sound immature or something, but I'd at least be able to buy all the video games (and anything else) I want with no restriction from parents and (hopefully) little restriction from money.
phlegms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By phlegms

God damn it!
I've still got 21 days until freshers week, which is basically a week long drinking session until lectures start.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Bruce
@artofwar420: 

I was already a huge gay guy magnet, (My ex-girlfriend thought it was hilarious) due to my young Joaquin Phoenix/Brando type look, but now I have to watch out for gay guys AND girls with strap-ons? Sooooooooooooooooo weak.
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By artofwar420
@Bruce: Just go with the flow bro, whatever happens happens, if a lady happens to stick you with her dildo so be it. The more the merrier.
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Bruce
@FluxWaveZ: 

God, I remember when I was fifteen and said such asinine things. 

Wait until you're in the 'young-adult' age group, you'll be changing a ton of your opinions rather soon.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Oh, and I started my 2nd year of high school Friday.  It was basically a half day where we received our class and schedule, where the school listened to the principal's speech for an hour and where we listened to our class' teacher's speech for another hour.  Exciting stuff.

@Bruce: I certainly hope it's not a "ton", though because if that's the case I won't recognize myself anymore.  :d

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By artofwar420
@FluxWaveZ: You won't, I think I don't I would even like my 3 years ago self.
twhalen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By twhalen

I started college today. As in, right now I just got to my dorm room and am typing this. Well, I did have three days of orientation, but today I actually moved in. Classes start Wednesday. I'm at a school that emphasizes "classical" education, as they call it, so I'll be reading quite a lot of ye olde literature and philosophy, more so I'm told than the typical college. I'm noticing a lot of free time, but I'm going to train myself to only do homework and reading, and just have a little bit of chill time in the evening. I'll be going home for the weekends, so plenty of time for gaming then. I hope I adapt soon. After a long, jobless summer in which many games were played, it'll take some work.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@twhalen said:
"I'm at a school that emphasizes "classical" education, as they call it, so I'll be reading quite a lot of ye olde literature and philosophy, more so I'm told than the typical college. "
 Oh God, those can often be a pain to read/comprehend properly.
Canberra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Canberra

@Bruce: 

I listened to music when I was going to college for the first time. I’m practically doing the same thing in a week, going to a new college.
BTW just to make you think, your video post resulted in a iTunes purchase and I will, no doubt, be listening to the same song now, doing the same as you did sitting on my bus.    
Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Don't worry about it too much. Don't think it's going to be like all those college frat boy movies you might've seen. Just wear what you want. That's what most people do in college. It's easy to tell the new college students because well, they're all dressed like high school students lol. But don't try to dress like a college student either. Just wear whatever you want.

College takes a lot more dedication than high school. That's why many enter, but much fewer actually finish. Best advice I can give is to stay focused and be ready for any kind of change that may come your way. Don't be too set on the classical "hey I can't wait until I finish college so I can just get on with my life and do what I want and buy my own place blah blah blah I'm going to finish in 4 years." Guess what, most likely that won't work out as you plan. Those are usually the people who don't finish college. Don't go to college because you can't wait for it to be done. Go to college because you want to go.

College is different from high school. You are paying way more for an education. Make the most of it. Don't waste money or your time. Live your life as it unfolds, don't hold back for a finale. This is it.

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By gearhead

So how long have you been taking French for?

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By kmdrkul

Yeah, I'm starting back up tomorrow at a new college that I transferred to.  Not going to lie, I'm a bit nervous.  Especially since I haven't the slightest idea where to park, and only the vaguest idea where my first class is :P

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Stang
@kmdrkul: Reminds me of my first day. Atleast you are not a dumb ass like me and completely miss your first day! My school was clever and designated "h" for Thursday classes in the catalog....my schedule read "th" for all my classes. Needless to say I thought I had one day of school a week, that being on Thursday.  Fuck me, I am a retard. College fail.
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Bruce
@kmdrkul: 

I have a map, with some letters that say where the buildings are, that's about it. I'm not even sure if I should bring a bookbag for the first day or not.
kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By kmdrkul
@Stang said:
" @kmdrkul: Reminds me of my first day. Atleast you are not a dumb ass like me and completely miss your first day! My school was clever and designated "h" for Thursday classes in the catalog....my schedule read "th" for all my classes. Needless to say I thought I had one day of school a week, that being on Thursday.  Fuck me, I am a retard. College fail. "
Haha, I plan on doing the ol' "get there really friggen' early" trick so I don't bust into my first class in a panting frenzy :P