Football/Soccer/Futbol Fans/Players I Have Some Questions

LuffyUzumaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By LuffyUzumaki

Okay so I downloaded the 2010 fifa world cup demo and i played it like crazy. I then got interested in football and started practicing in my backyard for about an hour and half to 2 hours every day. It's now been a month since I've started that and I've gotten pretty comfortable with the ball and have learned some things like the Cryuff turn, the Maradona etc... I've signed up for a rec league that starts August 11th and games start September 11th. So i just want some tips from people that play football. Some dribbling exercises stuff like that other things i can do to help with my game. But only stuff I can do by myself, there are two kids in my neighborhood who play football but we don't get along. So any tips would do wonders. I do look up videos on the internet but those only go so far.   
Also tryouts for Junior Varsity Soccer are sometime in spring so I have months to prepare even though i haven't played soccer before. 

Avatar image for guitarjunkie1123
guitarjunkie1123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By guitarjunkie1123

Don't really have any experience with soccer/football/futbol, but I do feel compelled to give you respect for finding something you enjoy, sticking with it, and developing your skill. In my experience not very many people follow through on something which interests them and they let so much potential slip through the cracks. If I had the pic, I would start the slow clap for you

LuffyUzumaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By LuffyUzumaki
@guitarjunkie1123 said:
" Don't really have any experience with soccer/football/futbol, but I do feel compelled to give you respect for finding something you enjoy, sticking with it, and developing your skill. In my experience not very many people follow through on something which interests them and they let so much potential slip through the cracks. If I had the pic, I would start the slow clap for you "
well thank you i usually procrastinate with everything i do and usually can't stick with anything i do for a long time. but for some unexplainable reason i am so committed to soccer. once again thank you
AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AlmostSwedish

You probably should look at real soccer matches (if you havn't already) to learn how to play as a team.

LuffyUzumaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By LuffyUzumaki
@AlmostSwedish said:
" You probably should look at real soccer matches (if you havn't already) to learn how to play as a team. "
that is defiantly something i do i have seen all the world cup games so far which is i believe 60 games. 
Uglytuc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Uglytuc

Get in shape because you run a lot.  Basically for 90 minutes straight.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TwoOneFive

soccer is gay. 

LuffyUzumaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LuffyUzumaki
@Uglytuc said:
" Get in shape because you run a lot.  Basically for 90 minutes straight. "
i defiantly need to improve my conditioning but i'll improve on that gradually.
AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AlmostSwedish
@LuffyUzumaki said:
" @AlmostSwedish said:
" You probably should look at real soccer matches (if you havn't already) to learn how to play as a team. "
that is defiantly something i do i have seen all the world cup games so far which is i believe 60 games.  "
If it is possible, you might wan't to consider finding some random people in a park or something to play with. You can only go so far by yourself
SoylentGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By SoylentGreen

Football (soccer, outside of my home) is an endurance sport. Doing some endurance-related exercise every few days to every day should help a lot, and drinking several glasses of water daily helps as well.

As for skill-related practice, put the ball under your foot, with the center of the ball just a few inches in front of your heel. Roll it back and forth, side to side, and so on; it's a good stretching exercise, and it lets you get a better feel for the ball.

As it's also a team sport, it'd probably be best if you could find someone (a friend, brother, parent, dog, whatever - they don't even have to be very interested in soccer itself) and pass it back and forth at various distances. This is important; there's no "i" in team, especially in soccer.

LuffyUzumaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LuffyUzumaki
@AlmostSwedish said:
" @LuffyUzumaki said:
" @AlmostSwedish said:
that is defiantly something i do i have seen all the world cup games so far which is i believe 60 games.  "
If it is possible, you might wan't to consider finding some random people in a park or something to play with. You can only go so far by yourself "
well my real goal is to make the JV team in spring which something you actually have to tryout for to make the team. so i'll focusing on playing with people in my rec league next month.
sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By sixghost

There is absolutely nothing you can do on your own that can simulate a majority of the aspects of a soccer game. You mentioned that you are trying out for your JV team, so just sign up for your High School's soccer summer camp. You just need to get on a field with other people and learn how to pass and move without the ball.

If that's not an option, get in shape. You'll be shocked at how little your lack of skill and experience will matter if you are faster and in better shape than the people you are playing against. You need to be running longish distance(2-3 miles is fine), and also doing interval training(which is stuff like ladders, and walk/run/sprint. i.e. walk 20 seconds, run/jog 20 seconds, sprint 20 seconds, repeat that until your feel like dying). Also, lifting weights would be helpful too, soccer gets a bad wrap as a non-contact sport, but there's so much pushing and shoving that goes on in soccer, so some upperbody strength would be helpful.

Other than that, just learn to dribble and shoot, that's really the only stuff you can practice by yourself.

LuffyUzumaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By LuffyUzumaki
@sixghost said:
"

There is absolutely nothing you can do on your own that can simulate a majority of the aspects of a soccer game. You mentioned that you are trying out for your JV team, so just sign up for your High School's soccer summer camp. You just need to get on a field with other people and learn how to pass and move without the ball.

If that's not an option, get in shape. You'll be shocked at how little your lack of skill and experience will matter if you are faster and in better shape than the people you are playing against. You need to be running longish distance(2-3 miles is fine), and also doing interval training(which is stuff like ladders, and walk/run/sprint. i.e. walk 20 seconds, run/jog 20 seconds, sprint 20 seconds, repeat that until your feel like dying). Also, lifting weights would be helpful too, soccer gets a bad wrap as a non-contact sport, but there's so much pushing and shoving that goes on in soccer, so some upperbody strength would be helpful.

Other than that, just learn to dribble and shoot, that's really the only stuff you can practice by yourself.

"
thanks for the tips . You mentioned my high schools soccer camp the thing is there isn't one i live in Georgia in the southern United States where football is huge pieces of muscle running around smacking each other while one person runs around with the ball. See where i live soccer falls under the stereotype of gay, a pussy sport, a women's sport etc...  here's an example of how football is treated in my high school' the soccer website hasn't been updated in about 7 to 8 MONTHS.
sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By sixghost
@LuffyUzumaki said:
" @sixghost said:
"

"
thanks for the tips . You mentioned my high schools soccer camp the thing is there isn't one i live in Georgia in the southern United States where football is huge pieces of muscle running around smacking each other while one person runs around with the ball. See where i live soccer falls under the stereotype of gay, a pussy sport, a women's sport etc...  here's an example of how football is treated in my high school' the soccer website hasn't been updated in about 7 to 8 MONTHS. "

That's still weird that there isn't a soccer camp. Maybe try getting the email address of the Varsity or JV coach and asking them if the team does any organized stuff over the summer. Back in HS most of the teams would enter tournaments and play in summer leagues as a team.

Also, you should work on your trapping, just go find a brick wall somewhere and kick the ball against it.

By the way, do you have any idea what position you want to play?