Getting hung up on small details that ruin the overall game.

Flavbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Hey guys. A friend of mine have a bit of a problem getting in to some games. He and I have been talking about it and it seems like he gets caught up in details that annoy him, details he can't stop thinking about ruining the entire game for him. And we both feel it is making him miss out on cool games that he will most likely love if he got further in to them. Things that he can't see past could be for example the science isn't 100% accurate in a game, or a character rubs him the wrong way. Once he notice it he just can't see past it, and I think he understand it is somewhat unreasonable. Do you guys have any tips on how to get past this?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Just ignore it. If you can't deal with any imperfections then you won't like anything or you will only like the most bland homogenized garbage imaginable.

Flavbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corruptedevil: That's not very helpfull... As I said he want to get over this.

mattgriffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Does he have this problem with other areas of life? I would suggest seeing a therapist, and I say that sincerely. It can help immensely, in so many aspects of living.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think you could make him 'get over it' if that is the sort of things he finds issue with, then that is just how he is right? There isn't going to be any magical phrase that makes him go "I see the light! And now the little things don't bug me!"
Maybe the real answer is to not let it bug you that it bugs him?

Flavbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zolroyce said:

I don't think you could make him 'get over it' if that is the sort of things he finds issue with, then that is just how he is right? There isn't going to be any magical phrase that makes him go "I see the light! And now the little things don't bug me!"

Maybe the real answer is to not let it bug you that it bugs him?

Yea maybe I shouldn't have said "get over it". I understand it's more complicated than just 'doing better'. Maybe you are right, this isn't the biggest problem in life really :)

Does he have this problem with other areas of life? I would suggest seeing a therapist, and I say that sincerely. It can help immensely, in so many aspects of living.

Thanks. He have expressed a similar inability to complete certain creative projects because he's been too obsessed with details. I'll ask him to consider it :)

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flavbot: Well, good luck with it all the same, maybe one day in the future he'll look back on it as that silly thing he used to do.
For the longest time when I was younger I used to hate and refuse to interact with things that were deemed 'popular' I was partway through a Harry Potter book when the news broke it was going to be a movie and put it down and refused to read any further because it must be complete crap now! But eventually I stopped that way of thinking, and stopped missing out on content I would have otherwise enjoyed. And it was all due to time, it was a waiting game, one day it just sort of clicked with me "Oh, that was dumb of me."