Have you ever felt weird doing a favor for a stranger?

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

When I was at work on my lunch break. I went to Tim Hortens that's inside the store I work at. So I ordered a sandwich and the cashier asked if I worked here, I said yeah. Then he asked if I can do a favor for him. Now considering the fact I don't know him and I was on my break. I didn't want to do jack shit for him, but since I work there, and I'm usually around that area on break I didn't want to seem like an asshole. So I said sure, then he reached into the donation jar and asked for some pringles chips.

Now on my way to get the chips I didn't feel right at all. The fact that he didn't grab that money from his pocket didn't sit well with me, and the last thing I wanted was to get in trouble again over some bullshit. So I went back and said that it wasn't enough money so I couldn't buy it, he looked at me funny and put the money back in the donation jar. Now after work when I was leaving I notice people was leaving donations in the same jar he got the money from, and now I'm glad I didn't buy those fucking chips.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Normally I don't feel weird at all doing a favour for a stranger. However, if that favour involved buying something for them with money they stole from a donation jar...I would decline.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

That's some wack as shit! I don't think I've ever had to deal with something like that. And Pringles chips sounds like the exact type of bullshit, where that guy could get you in trouble saying he never even talked to you or doesn't know you.

Next time, I would maybe try saying that you lied last time and you don't really work there. At least if he starts ragging you enough.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's some wack as shit! I don't think I've ever had to deal with something like that. And Pringles chips sounds like the exact type of bullshit, where that guy could get you in trouble saying he never even talked to you or doesn't know you.

Next time, I would maybe try saying that you lied last time and you don't really work there. At least if he starts ragging you enough.

Yeah, I ain't going back to that Tim Hortens. Only reason why I went over there was to eat a healthy lunch, instead of getting the fast food that I normally get on break.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Just get him some chips. That's like $1. He probably just didn't have any change. Poor chips guy went hungry that day.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

@blu3v3nom07 said:

Yeah, I ain't going back to that Tim Hortens. Only reason why I went over there was to eat a healthy lunch, instead of getting the fast food that I normally get on break.

I dunno.. A nice salad every once in a while sounds alright. Mm, maybe if just wanna avoid his eye at all costs, then yea I guess.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@falserelic said:

@blu3v3nom07 said:

I dunno.. A nice salad every once in a while sounds alright. Mm, maybe if just wanna avoid his eye at all costs, then yea I guess.

For me I just don't want to have anything to do with that guy. If he gets caught I don't want to be in the middle. I damn sho don't want to get fired because of someone else bullshit.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By TruthTellah

That doesn't really sound like a favor as much as... something you just shouldn't do. ha. Sure sometimes people will ask you for bad or questionable "favors". It's natural to feel weird about that and just say, "Nah."

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By NMC2008

I would have just told him to put the money back and I would have bought him a bag of chips. *shrugs*

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Not really. About the only time I felt a bit weird about doing someone a favor (recently) was when I was a Resident Assistant I held some beer for one of my residents. He was of legal drinking age (and didn't have a roommate, so I didn't have to worry about someone else being under age) and he had a good reason why he couldn't use his fridge for a bit (had to clean it out and wash it down because he forgot to clean it out before a week long break and it smelled awful) so I'm not sure why I was a bit worried about it, but nothing ever came of it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@nmc2008 said:

I would have just told him to put the money back and I would have bought him a bag of chips. *shrugs*

Yeah, me too. *shrugs*

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Milkman

Are you sure it was a donation jar and not a tip jar?

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By falserelic

@milkman said:

Are you sure it was a donation jar and not a tip jar?

It had a sign on the side that said donate.

EDIT: I also like to add that at my job, we can't accept tips from nobody or well get in trouble.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

One time I was buying cigarettes for my sister. When I left the store someone asked me for a light.

I did, but it was awkward because I kept failing to light the match. x)

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Canteu

I bought a dude a lighter once. The guy was clearly older than me, but wouldn't serve him without ID. I don't smoke but I didn't mind since I was getting something from the counter anyway.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

That isn't a favor, that's aiding and abetting something shady.

You made the right call. Always trust your gut.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Like sexual favors?

Disembodio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeaaahh that's super weird. But the real question is what flavor of Pringles? For Sour Cream and Onion I think I would do some messed up stuff.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One time i let a guy use my iPhone to call his friend for a ride. I was convinced he was gonna run off with it. In my defense he was a total stoner (white dude with dreadlocks come on). I wanted to help the guy out so i did, but man was i paranoid it was gonna go bad on me. Luckily it didn't.

On a side note slightly related to the first post. I was behind a guy in line at a convenience store. He was buying a bag of chips or a pack of gum or something it was a snack i dont remember what exactly, but when prompted for the money to pay for it he just dumped the "take a penny leave a penny" thing on the counter. Oddly enough it worked, mostly cus the guy was shady looking and the cashier was a super skinny guy so he was probably scared of angering the guy. But man, ballsy right?

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

That doesn't really sound like a favor as much as... something you just shouldn't do. ha. Sure sometimes people will ask you for bad or questionable "favors". It's natural to feel weird about that and just say, "Nah."

Could you do me a favor and hold this gun? I can't carry it and wipe the blood off at the same time. Thanks!

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshwent said:

@truthtellah said:

Could you do me a favor and hold this gun? I can't carry it and wipe the blood off at the same time. Thanks!

I don't know... it feels a little weird to be doing this... but uh... sure!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#23  Edited By Hailinel

I haven't really felt weird doing favors for strangers, but I've met strangers in odd situations that asked for favors.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Steadying

Man, that's pretty gross. I really wish weirdos would just leave random strangers the fuck alone.

Anyway, I'd probably feel weird I guess.....I don't think I remember ever actually being asked for a favor by a stranger. Huh. :/

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By wjb

Well, you never know when you're on a hidden game show on some cable channel you've never heard of to win modest cash prizes, so...

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Usually I try to help everyone I meet but I got robbed with a knife held to me thinking I'm helping a lost tourist find his way. I'm became paranoid but I'll still hear anyone out.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

You really buried the lead with that thread title.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I was walking out of a mall once and there was this guy at the entrance who was asking for donations.

When I opened the door he walked right in front of me, which I was not expecting, so I jumped a little bit and said "what?" and he said "its cool man, Im just asking for donations". I said I didnt have any money on me, apologized, and kept walking.

While making my way towards the bus stop, about 50 feet away from where he was, I realized 'oh shit, that guy totally thinks I'm racist now' (he was black). Me being startled, confused, and surprised probably made me have a weird look on my face (I swear, I didnt see him coming and was legit surprised when he walked in front of me). I felt bad about this, but I kept walking. Then I reached into my pocket (I do this to make sure I have my wallet and phone) and felt that I had 5 dollars (which I forgot I had). I said to myself 'I'll feel bad if I don't go back'. So I went back and said I forgot I had it, he said thank you and gave me some airheads and I went home.

Started out weird, but I felt happy with how it concluded.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You call that a lunch?

No Caption Provided

Featuring...

Wiltshire ham, pastrami and Oakwood smoked cheese on buttered brown bread with salad leaves and apple chutney.

No Caption Provided

Featuring...

100% West Country beef burger with American cheese, gorgonzola, bacon aioli, rocket, onion jam, pickled onion, house mayo, brioche bun with skinny fries. Just behind my skinny fries are some sweet potato with bacon aioli fries.

Pathetic.

Source: 2014 High-Res Lunch Photo Thread of the Last Hope for Delicious Noms

Nah, but fo reals, tho. It depends on the person and it depends on the favour and it depends on the situation. You were getting jerked around.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By falserelic

@clonedzero said:

One time i let a guy use my iPhone to call his friend for a ride. I was convinced he was gonna run off with it. In my defense he was a total stoner (white dude with dreadlocks come on). I wanted to help the guy out so i did, but man was i paranoid it was gonna go bad on me. Luckily it didn't.

On a side note slightly related to the first post. I was behind a guy in line at a convenience store. He was buying a bag of chips or a pack of gum or something it was a snack i dont remember what exactly, but when prompted for the money to pay for it he just dumped the "take a penny leave a penny" thing on the counter. Oddly enough it worked, mostly cus the guy was shady looking and the cashier was a super skinny guy so he was probably scared of angering the guy. But man, ballsy right?

I've dealt with alot of shady people growing up. Some people will use kindness or play the sympathy card on you. That's why I usually trust my gut and not be easily influence by people. I could go on forever about some of the stuff I've seen back in Detroit, but a more recent incident I had was walking to work one time. This older black guy comes to me and started asking about directions. Since I'm a black guy he said he didn't want to deal with white people. Which I wasn't surprised at (Since I have family members like that), but if your lost why not ask anyone for directions regardless.

Anyway he goes on to say that he was from Atlanta, and that his car broke down at the mall. He was walking about an hour from there, and he asked how long it would take to get to gratiot. I told him it was about an hour walk or you can ride the smart bus. Then he said he didn't have any cash, and since we both are brothas he asked for about 80 bucks. I'm thinking is he fucking serious? I told him I'm broke(Which I wasn't) and that I couldn't help him and just walked away. I really hate when people try to pull that '' since were black we should be helping each other " type card.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fattony12000: That sandwich does look good btw. It reminds me of some of the sandwiches I had back in downtown Detroit, like the S.O.B (Son of a bitch Sandwich) or corn beef sandwich with the fries and pickle.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

So did he take this dollar from the tip jar, or from a registered charity donation box? If it's the former then so? If it's the latter then he's a scummer.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would've asked him why the hell he was putting his hands in the donation jar. Seems really weird to me.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#35  Edited By monkeyking1969

@nmc2008 said:

That's what I would have done too, I would just buy him some chips. Order my stuff, pay, leave a tip and that's it.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Scrawnto

That seems like a particularly sketchy situation, so I don't blame you for feeling weird.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm surprised people in here would be willing to buy him the chips. Taking money out of a donation jar is some pretty messed up shit.

On topic: Yeah. When I was in fourth or fifth grade I had to walk over to the middle school and meet up with my cousin as my mom was running late to pick us up. On the way there I ran into some middle school kids, two guys and like four girls, and one of the guys asked me to give him a hug because I guess if I did one of the girls would give him a dollar. I have no idea why I did it, but I did and he thanked me a million times. All for one measly dollar.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thinking about it, it does sound weird but maybe he just didn't have his wallet on him? I know cash register operators (whatever they're called) aren't allowed wallets on them because y'know, they could be thieving from the till and just putting it straight into their wallet. If he was just like, 'Hey can you get me something, I'm hungry and can't leave my station, I'll take the money from here for now and pay it back later' then yeah, that seems like a probable situation. But I dunno, if you don't know the guy I'd just be like *shrugs* sorry, guy.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He knew that you worked there, and then he stole from the donation jar right in front of your fucking face? And then told you to buy something for him with the money that he stole from your employer?

And this made you feel weird?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@hollitz said:

You really buried the lead with that thread title.

You'd think, but there's a shocking lack of terrible jokes in this thread.