Help me stock my new Android tablet!

Bumpton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Bumpton

Fellow bombadiers, I come to you with a request... Help me put a bunch of awesome stuff on my new tablet!

For Christmas I got the Google Nexus 7. It's one of the smaller (7") Android tablets and it's pretty rad. The only problem is, this is my first Android/iProduct anything so I'm extremely clueless. I'm still rocking a sweet flip phone (mainly so everyone thinks I'm a drug dealer) and have no idea where to even start in terms of what apps I should check out. I've downloaded a handful of stuff (Jetpack Joyride, Wargames: WOPR (which is awesome)), but not really sure where to go from there.

I'd love to hear suggestions of stuff to check out. Doesn't just have to be games either; just stuff you guys like/use regularly. Free is obviously preferred, but not opposed to spending a couple bucks for good apps.

Thanks in advance, duders!

renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By renmckormack

get Doggcatcher for podcasts. Its swell.

renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By renmckormack

ALSO there is this Snes Geneiss Emulator (its on the top of paid apps). Since you can plug any usb xbox controller into the thing (with a micro usb converter) it makes the nexus a fun on the go-ish style emulation machine.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Sooty

Flipboard all the things.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@Sooty said:

Flipboard all the things.

Second this, Flipboard is fan friggin tastic. And it's probably one of the most well designed apps you'll ever see.

The Kindle app is a must if you like reading e-books, if you download the Kindle uploader on your computer you can just drag and drop books into it and it'll automatically send it to your devices which sync how far you get. It's awesome. Comixology is great for comics, looks nice, easy to find stuff you want. Pretty sure both of those are free, Kindle definitely is. Evernote is a good note taking app you can sync with other devices from the cloud. Haven't really found a Twitter app I like yet, no Tweetbot unfortunately but Flipboard incorporates twitter so that might be enough. MX Player is good for playing movies, handles most formats I've come across. Getting a File Explorer app is a great idea, makes it easier to get into your folders and whatnot.

As far as games, Sword and Sworcery is great if you're like me and didn't play it when it was big, Waking Mars is cool, Plague Inc, Avadon: The Black Fortress. And yeah, there's great emulators on this thing, that was one of the first things I did when I got it. Unfortunately the latest Android updated borked Wiimote support but if you get an OTG cable you can use a wired 360 controller. The cable is like 3 bucks on ebay.

Bumpton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Bumpton

Whooomg. Yeah, Flipboard is amazing. I can definitely see myself losing a lot of time distracted by it. Not sure if I'll make the dive into plugging in a controller... but it's good to know that there are some decent emulators. Went ahead and grabbed Kindle, Evernote, and MX Player too.

Thanks for the recommendations, guys! Keep 'em coming!

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

For games, Dead Trigger, Shadowgun, Sonic CD, Vice City. Emulators work great on the Nexus 7, but some of them cost money. Netflix and Kindle Books if you're a member.

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By uniform

Definitely Flipboard. Look into ResidualVM if you're into Grim Fandango. It works on my Jelly Bean Galaxy S III, so I can't see why it wouldn't work on your tablet. Also ScummVM for some classics.

You can get controller overlays (on-screen touch gamepad) for emulators, so you don't have to use external controllers.

Avatar image for zombiesatemycereal
zombiesatemycereal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Zedge is basically a giant directory for ringtones/notifications/wallpapers you can search from, so you don't have to manually change them. I really like Swiftkey as a keyboard replacement. It's on sale for a couple bucks, but I think there's also a free version. Plague Inc- if you've ever played Pandemic, it's basically the opposite. You create a plague and try to infect as many people as possible. Songbird is a really great music app, which also has a desktop version. If you're into twitter, my favorite client so far is Plume.

Also Tested just ran an article a few days ago of their favorite apps of 2012.