How do I find people to help me develop a game idea

JohnK1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JohnK1

How would I go about finding people to help me develop a game idea? I want to take the best parts of: DDO, RIFT and Dragon's prophet (basically- instances, open world and character customization) and wrap it in a sandbox MMORPG. Not one of those 'new' old school rpg's but one where you actually play and grow the character. Many classes, all armor for all classes, no timers... especially for escaping an instance after finishing! I am looking to back the project with my own money, but will not be paying the developers.

Basically, where do I find the staff to help me create a game?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

@johnk1 said:

I am looking to back the project with my own money, but will not be paying the developers.

Wait, what? How are they going to get paid? If you're backing the project but not paying the people making the game, what is that money being used for?

This doesn't make any sense.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@johnk1: So you're looking for a development team that has no ideas and opened up some forum for people to give them ideas and throw a few bucks their way?

I don't think that is a thing. You could try to find some friends with useful development skills and make a prototype of the game and see if it's actually worth pursuing.

Avatar image for thephantomstranger
ThePhantomStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You wouldn't happen to be really good at baseball would you?

On-topic: You should start small. Like 2d game small. Like your the only developer small. If you can make a game, any game of any length/size/scope, then from there you can think about scaling up to the bankruptcy guaranteed MMO space. I'm not even trying to be mean here but your request is crazy.

JohnK1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JohnK1

@Mike: yes it does... there are plenty of costs to bringing a game to market. Or, do you think the forums, servers, advertising, etc. all are free?

@Onemanarmy: Not in the least... but it is my money and my vision. I am always looking for input to flesh out the details. There are only 2 things the game will absolutely not have under any circumstances: PvP & timers!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@johnk1: Don't be silly, of course they aren't free. But those things are all sort of secondary to having an actual team of people that can come together and build something worth advertising and eventually playing. Again though, how is everyone going to get paid if you're not going to do it? Kickstarter?

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@johnk1 said:

I want to take the best parts of: DDO, RIFT and Dragon's prophet (basically- instances, open world and character customization) and wrap it in a sandbox MMORPG.

SOUNDS GREAT I'M IN

perrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

What you're looking for doesn't exist. There's isn't a team of devs out there capable of putting together an MMO based on your ideas that would do it for free. Good news tough is you can make games yourself, just not your grand plan, maybe you'll get there one day but you've got to take baby steps first.

These might be of help:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/wiki/getting_started

http://www.youcanmakevideogames.com

For the record btw MMOs are pretty much the most difficult genre of games to build. What you have in mind is most likely of the scale of tens of millions of dollars in funding at its smallest scale. Start small.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By MezZa

I don't mean this in an offensive way, but from what you're describing you sound either very young or very naive. Or very hopeful, i guess. It's not a bad thing, but reconsider the way you pitch yourself. If I were a developer looking for work and I read this thread, there's no way I'd consider working for someone who doesn't seem to have any clue about the process and logistics of developing a game. Why would I make someone else's ideas when I am qualified to just go make my own. Money? Plenty of people have money who also know the business. You sound like you need to put the work in instead of just expecting others to make your ideas for you.

First of all, you are never going to get anyone on board for a project of the size you are talking for free. You have to give them a reason to come to you. If you were a big name in the industry maybe you'd have some weight to throw around, but since you have to ask random internet people what to do about staff I'm assuming you haven't made a name for yourself. That leads me to another point... don't ask random internet people. If you want to look qualified you have to be professional. This isn't the place for a business professional to get their ideas.

Second of all have you ever heard of scope? You need to consider yours. Your description for a game sounds insane. Add onto the fact that it would be an mmo? Do you hope to be developing for 15 years, or do you plan to have a team the size of ubisoft? Just cause the No Man's Sky team can defy expectations doesn't mean everyone can be miracle workers with the size of a project.

Third, mmo's are among the worst games to develop. So many are out there and so many are dead. Can your game beat Warcraft or Final Fantasy? No? Well, good luck maintaining a player base for your game that took 15 years to make. Assuming you got there without going bankrupt first.

Not trying to be mean. I encourage you to pursue game development if that is what you really want. But take the time to learn before you decide you're going to make the next WoW with an unpaid team of internet devs. Get some game making software and start making random stuff. Whatever aspect of game design that you think you are best at. Teach yourself to be a dev and work your way into the industry if this is what you want to do. If you are already qualified to skip these steps and be an idea's guy then go apply to company's or start kickstarters instead of coming here. I'll be honest, though, there are actually very few idea guys and chances of getting a position like that are slim unless you put in the hard work and climb over everyone else.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

@johnk1 said:

@Mike: yes it does... there are plenty of costs to bringing a game to market. Or, do you think the forums, servers, advertising, etc. all are free?

How can you bring the game to market when the game doesn't exist?

My only assumption is that you want someone to create your game for nothing then will pay the minimal amount for some advertising and marketing. A final point is that nobody will invest the time to create you an MMO or massive scale project for free (no salary or payment for making the thing).

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Simple: pay them.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

lol ok JohnKonami2

ok, jokes aside, How is this game supposed to make money? Through micro transactions, subscription, full game purchase? If you're not paying the developers do they get a cut of the profits or a stake in the company?

pcorb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnk1 said:

yes it does... there are plenty of costs to bringing a game to market. Or, do you think the forums, servers, advertising, etc. all are free?

What are you going to put on servers, what are you going to advertise, and what are people going to discuss on your forums if there isn't any actual work being done by developers (which, I hate to disappoint, there most assuredly won't be if you aren't paying them)?

@perrin said:

For the record btw MMOs are pretty much the most difficult genre of games to build. What you have in mind is most likely of the scale of tens of millions of dollars in funding at its smallest scale. Start small.

He should consider moving to Rhode Island IMO

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By DocHaus  Online

Look everyone, it's an IDEAS GUY! On the internet!

Longer answer if you are being serious: find a local IGDA branch, attend a meetup, form a small team and participate in a 2 or 3-day game jam. Learn about terms like "scope" and "user experience." Try and think of one thing you are really good at, whether it's telling a story, making art, designing puzzles, programming logic, wrangling a crew together, or mixing sound, and use that to contribute to your team.

Or, if you happen to have a large amount of money to throw around, hire people with those skills and start out with a simple game.

But seriously, don't be an Ideas Guy. No one likes those guys.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If you ever do end up finding a team willing to work for you, for goodness sake don't let them see this thread that shows you weren't going to pay them.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You wouldn't happen to be really good at baseball would you?

Hahaha...

laserguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I have an idea.