I fail with Excel. Can anyone help?

TehPickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

If there's one thing I've learnt over the years of being a GB user, it's that I should never underestimate the knowledge of it's collective userbase. With that in mind, I have a weird issue that I'm hoping someone might be able to assist with.

So, at my place of work I recently created a system of gathering 'Management Information' within MS Excel 2003 using a macro that has been assigned to a button. The idea being that on pressing the button, the macro will bounce between two separate files and transfer information onto a summarising table. It seems to work exactly as intended.

The problem is, my boss (who I created it for) is unable to use it on their PC, and I cannot for the life of me understand why. I've tried looking around on the web, but none of the resources I've found talk about this particular issue:

On my (or anybody elses) PC, it works without a hitch, but on my bosses, the macro fails with the standard pop-up, and the VB editor highlights the very first action (which is a standard workbook.select). The PC build itself is no different to anybody elses: same hardware, same software, same network, trust settings etc.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what might be causing it?

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto

I'd wager your boss's PC isn't able to locate one or both of the files that your macro is linking to, or something to that effect. Might be a networking problem, are these files on a shared server of some kind?

I know I had a similar issue with some Access databases at my job recently, and the issue was that while all the users had access to the same shared drive, some of them were mapped slightly differently than others, which was causing problems similar to what you're describing.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I agree with Kevin_Cogneto. I had a similar issue with a whole bunch of AutoCAD files last year.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Maluvin

Drive mapping might be the issue as mentioned above. Another possible related issue might be folder permissions might be slightly different between the two of you.

TehPickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@maluvin: @skullpanda1: @kevin_cogneto: The problem with this is that the files are already open, so it cant be a file location issue.

It's setup thus:

• Prior to running the macro, two files needs to be open (call them 'summary' and 'feeder').
  • Press the macro button in the summary, and it takes information from the feeder and brings it back to the summary.

I wish the problem was that obvious :(

Any other suggestions perhaps?