I toasted my computer

Conzed92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Conzed92

So, yesterday I received my Geforce GTX 560 TI, HURAAAAH, and I was on my way to install it, everything seemed fine. One problem however was that my old PSU was not compatible with it, so I had to get a new one, an OCZ 750 W PSU, finally I seemed to get close to Battlefield 3!

BUT!

For some reason me and my dad had some trouble installing the PSU, in my computer, and in my brother's (we installed an identical GTX 560 TI in his) the computer turns off whenever a game is booted. At first my computer failed to boot, and as we reconfigured the the plus (found out we missed one) the PSU got fried (possibly also the rest of the PC), NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Then we tried to put in my old PSU again to test if it was the new PSU that was broken, but the old one was fried too, it is unbelievable!

My current specs:

Processor: AMD Athleon X4 640 processor, 3.00 GHz

RAM: 4.00 GB DDR3

Graphic card: GeForce GTX 560 TI

PSU: OCZ ZS 750 W

http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-zs-series-550w-750w-power-supply.html

As of now, we are completely clueless to what caused the frying of my PC and how to avoid it once we get new spareparts.

Am I totally retarded or might it be a faulty model?

Conzed92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Conzed92

I am sorry, I did not mean double post.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Did you wear anti-static gear & ground your shit?  If not, you
probably fried it with a static charge.  I've never had this 
problem.  Anyhow, if there is power coming out of the 
PSU, then it's working (fans are blowing??).  If not then
the PSU is fried.  

I'd put everything back the way it was before you installed
the video card & see if it'll fire up.  Otherwise, time to replace
the guts.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#4  Edited By alistercat

As always, you will get better responses over at Tested.com. They have a help forum.

I have the 850W version of that PSU and had issues but I can't say I know how to solve or troubleshoot your problem. Get a different brand PSU, strip down the PC to essential components only and start adding them one by one until it doesnt work.

Conzed92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Conzed92

@Lind_L_Taylor: No, we did not wear any anti-static gear, which in retrospective was stupid, but I guess that is just the way it is. Also, we used magnetic tools, again not the best thing to do.

I guess I should take it as an expensive lesson.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#6  Edited By alistercat

@Conzed92: Based on advice from Will Smith, pressing the power switch on a PC when it is not plugged in will discharge any static from inside the case, and touching the inside of the case will ground you. I'm not knowledgeable about electronics, but I trust him and I do these things whenever I take apart a PC.

Static usually isn't an issue.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Christoffer

I feel your pain. I'm no expert but I've been meddling with a lot of computer components lately. I'm happy I haven't run into that sort of problem yet.

Also I agree with AlisterCat on this. The Tested forums are quite great at this.

@AlisterCat said:

As always, you will get better responses over at Tested.com. They have a help forum.

Conzed92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Conzed92

@AlisterCat: See, that is interesting. I actually did that. And after that my computer got toasted.

Bottomline: I will have to wait yet another week to play BF3 :D

This might kill me.

Conzed92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Conzed92

UPDATE!

Neither of the PSU's are actually fried, we tested them, and they are both functional. The computer can receive power, however it does not boot properly. There seems to be a problem with, maybe Im not sure, the motherboard. The fan is blowing, the computer is receiving power (I can tell as the fan for the processor is spinning and the lights on the computer go on), but it is not booting for some weird reason. It is mighty strange!

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Aetheldod

Im no tech expert so all Ican tell you is good luck in making your pc work :)

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By iam3green

that sucks, one reason why i hate computers. i've had some bad luck with computers. 

my power supply broke for some reason. a the same time the fan for the video card didn't work. i had to find a new video card to buy. 

my friend was installing the video card. there was like an couple inches from the video card and the cpu heatsink, i was like man you would think it wouldn't fit. i was like ooo i just got shocked. luckly the computer stills works.

CosmicQueso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By CosmicQueso

@Conzed92 said:

UPDATE!

Neither of the PSU's are actually fried, we tested them, and they are both functional. The computer can receive power, however it does not boot properly. There seems to be a problem with, maybe Im not sure, the motherboard. The fan is blowing, the computer is receiving power (I can tell as the fan for the processor is spinning and the lights on the computer go on), but it is not booting for some weird reason. It is mighty strange!

Yep that sounds like an expensive lesson with a mobo. Don't worry, happens to everyone. Replace the mobo, don't do stupid things like use magnetic tools (common sense man, come on) and you should be fine.

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Fajita_Jim
@Conzed92 said:

UPDATE!

There are several connectors that need to be connected to the motherboard. There's the big one, and then there's the 4-pin that a lot of people forget about.

This.
This.

If you're sure you've got everything hooked up right, remove the battery from the motherboard for about 5 minutes, replace it and then try a boot. 

Does it beep at all during POST?
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By zeforgotten

A toast! To your old PC! We hardly knew ya. 

CrimsonNoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By CrimsonNoir

I don't think it's necessary to wear anti-static gear. Like AlisterCat said touching the metal case should work, that's what I've always done. What made you think you fried it? Was there any noise or smoke? 

If it's receiving power, but not booting make sure everything is connected correctly. Your ram may have gotten loose or something too.

Oldn_Pudgy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Oldn_Pudgy

If our power starts and then kills your bios probably registered an error and has not reset. Unplug all power and take out the clock battery for 15 minutes. This will reset the bios memory of the error and let it start normally. Usually any power or thermal cpu problems will trigger this.

Conzed92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Conzed92

@Oldn_Pudgy:

A newbie question, but what do you mean by the clock battery?

Conzed92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Conzed92

@OtakuGamer: Cool, I was looking at that, just had to be sure when dealing with this equipment.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
@Conzed92 said:

UPDATE!

If you plug a monitor in, what is the error on the screen?  Does
it test memory or show a date time or anything??  Or is the 
screen blank?

As for static charges, the gloves & a floor mat don't cost very
much, so I don't understand why people are saying they don't
need it.  Better safe than sorry.  If the system is hooked up 
properly & all you did was change the video card & then the
mobo stopped working, then likely there is some electrical or 
static charge issue or something is unseated.

When I had some oddball issues upgrading my system (to a
quadcore i5, 8G ram, etc), my system wouldn't boot either
& it turned out to be that the new RAM I put in wasn't seated
properly.  I just shoved that shit in hard, started it all up & 
it worked.   I've never had a static charge issue, but I have
had failed mobos.  This is because I was buying them used
& at discount from a fellow PC builder buddy of mine.  However,
after having two of them go out after only a year's time each,
I've gone back to buying them new & it has been the best
& is very reliable. 

How old is your mobo?  Do you see any capacitors leaking
or busted open?  If so then the mobo has aged to the point
of needing to be replaced.  I've had that happen to me as
well.
Conzed92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Conzed92

UPDATE!

It is working! YEAH! HAHA :D And it is awsome, especially BF3... Man that game is great!

I guess most guys here are US based, but if anyone is up for some EU BF3, add:

Conzed92 on Battlelog.

CYA!