LUMIN4RY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By LUMIN4RY

I found this quote...

"I know but one freedom and that is the freedom of the mind." -Antoine De Saint-Exupery

It got me thinking about freedom of thought and how the internet lets us research and learn about anything that comes to mind that interests us or that we are curious about. Google, Bing etc. are tools that we use everyday. Sometimes I even write down notes during the day to look up later on my PC.

Things you look up on the net can be tracked and pulled from records, such as if your curious about explosives or speak badly/ threateningly about the President and what not. It's not truly freedom of thought then is it, in a way it's taking freedom away from you because it can always be looked up by Gov. agencies. and used against you in a court of law. Emails are the same thing.

It's almost as if the internet is Big Brother watching and recording everything you do on it. Some people still keep written diaries/journals for thoughts, ideas and feelings but they can always be destroyed whereas writing on the internet can always be recovered in some way.

LUMIN4RY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By LUMIN4RY

I found this quote...

"I know but one freedom and that is the freedom of the mind." -Antoine De Saint-Exupery

It got me thinking about freedom of thought and how the internet lets us research and learn about anything that comes to mind that interests us or that we are curious about. Google, Bing etc. are tools that we use everyday. Sometimes I even write down notes during the day to look up later on my PC.

Things you look up on the net can be tracked and pulled from records, such as if your curious about explosives or speak badly/ threateningly about the President and what not. It's not truly freedom of thought then is it, in a way it's taking freedom away from you because it can always be looked up by Gov. agencies. and used against you in a court of law. Emails are the same thing.

It's almost as if the internet is Big Brother watching and recording everything you do on it. Some people still keep written diaries/journals for thoughts, ideas and feelings but they can always be destroyed whereas writing on the internet can always be recovered in some way.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Example1013

Two things:

No one requires you to be on the internet. Hell, it's a paid service from a private company.

And you should probably learn your rights before you talk about them being violated. In particular I'd suggest you look up what a "subpoena" is.

LUMIN4RY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By LUMIN4RY

The truth is your rights and supposed freedoms can be violated at anytime your Gov. sees fit. Phone tapping, internet watchdogs etc.

People might think that they are anonymous and can do what they like on the net but if it catches the eye of certain people they might get a knock on the door and a search warrant handed to them.

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Twisted_Scot

I half a paragraph written about arguing these points but truth is I really can't be bothered so I'll just tell you that I do like like the music of George Michael.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By veektarius

You're free to think whatever you like in the US.  You aren't necessarily free to disseminate that thought.  The freest society is one without laws.  And yet, paradoxically, you end up less free in such a society.  Maybe you can't say you want to kill the president on the internet, but you can say that you think Joe Schmoe is an asshole, and he can't do anything about it except for bark back because of laws.  In an anarchy, you are free to say you are going to kill whomever you like without legal ramifications.  But if you badmouth Joe, he can come over with a shotgun and see whether you think you're so clever when you're full of buckshot.   And so while actions are not proscribed, people will not make use of their freedom for fear of the consequences.  So what is better, a limited freedom that people make use of, or an absolute freedom that is too dangerous to risk?

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Example1013

This is fucking stupid, and you clearly have no clue what you're talking about, so I'm going to post random nonsense instead.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sanity

The only free society is one where your the only person, as long as theirs others there will always be compromises.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Example1013

@dudeglove: Don't even joke. This guy's not even a good hitman wannabe, nevermind a good clone.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#10  Edited By wefwefasdf

@dudeglove said:

I thought Hitman was banned...

Hitman was banned? What did I miss?!

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Example1013

@SpikeSpiegel: Oh man, where the fuck have you been for the last 2 months?

LUMIN4RY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By LUMIN4RY

@dudy80 said:

The only free society is one where your the only person, as long as theirs others there will always be compromises.

So true. So "American Freedom" is just a facade in a lot of ways. I guess fake freedom is better than none to some.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By mylifeforAiur
@SpikeSpiegel said:

@dudeglove said:

I thought Hitman was banned...

Hitman was banned? What did I miss?!

Yeah, goddamnit! What happened to Hitman? I feel like part of my soul has been torn away.
LUMIN4RY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LUMIN4RY

@Veektarius said:

You're free to think whatever you like in the US. You aren't necessarily free to disseminate that thought. The freest society is one without laws. And yet, paradoxically, you end up less free in such a society. Maybe you can't say you want to kill the president on the internet, but you can say that you think Joe Schmoe is an asshole, and he can't do anything about it except for bark back because of laws. In an anarchy, you are free to say you are going to kill whomever you like without legal ramifications. But if you badmouth Joe, he can come over with a shotgun and see whether you think you're so clever when you're full of buckshot. And so while actions are not proscribed, people will not make use of their freedom for fear of the consequences. So what is better, a limited freedom that people make use of, or an absolute freedom that is too dangerous to risk?

Things have changed, people are taking what you say seriously on the net. If you type about killing, blowing up etc. on the net, someones going to report you. People are being prosecuted for it and what you type or say might come back to haunt you. Bullying, terrorism are serious and they are being looked at with a microscope. You might of gotten away with typing what you feel when the net was young but now you might be held accountable.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Yeah, but we're all slaves to death, so freedom is cake.

LUMIN4RY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By LUMIN4RY

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

Yeah, but we're all slaves to death, so freedom is cake.

Nice, so true.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CaLe

I don't care. I don't want freedom.

LUMIN4RY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LUMIN4RY

@CaLe said:

I don't care. I don't want freedom.

Just the girl/guy a lot of men/women are looking for.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By imsh_pl

The freedom we have can be suspended if a person does something that is illegal. Would you rather have criminals talking about assassination attempts on internet forums and have nothing done about that?

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By TobbRobb
@dudeglove: He was banned?  I was wondering why everything felt like sunshine and strawberrys around here the last month. Do you know specificaly why he was banned?
LUMIN4RY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LUMIN4RY

@imsh_pl said:

The freedom we have can be suspended if a person does something that is illegal. Would you rather have criminals talking about assassination attempts on internet forums and have nothing done about that?

Your freedom can be taken away whenever the law wants to take it. Plenty of innocent people have it happen everyday.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22  Edited By veektarius
@LUMIN4RY: It does not seem you read my post.  If you did, you have comprehension problems.
imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By imsh_pl
@LUMIN4RY said:

@imsh_pl said:

Your freedom can be taken away whenever the law wants to take it.

Uhm, not really, no.
McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By McGhee

@TobbRobb said:

@dudeglove: He was banned? I was wondering why everything felt like sunshine and strawberrys around here the last month. Do you know specificaly why he was banned?

Yeah and boring too. He was banned because the mods got tired of his crazy and threw a hissy fit. Sad, really.