If you had the chance to live on residence while studying at school, would you?

Avatar image for weegieanawrench
weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By weegieanawrench
Avatar image for weegieanawrench
weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By weegieanawrench

Hey guys, I'm in my first year of College, and am currently living on residence. It's pretty awesome with all the party's and independence that you gain, but if I was ever given the chance to live on residence again, I wouldn't. Why? Well, living with a bunch of teenagers who have no sense of what quiet means already gives you an idea.

So, my whole reason for posting this, is I want to know about your experiences with living on residence/campus good or bad. And hopefully, those of you who aren't in College or University yet may get an idea of what it's like. Happy posting.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By keyhunter

A lot of the big oil refineries here in Alberta let people live in camps at the job site for free, which is awesome. So I voted yes.

crystalskull2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By crystalskull2

I am kinda homesick , so no.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By cstrang

Yeah, sure.  Why not?  I mean, the presence of a cafeteria (where tons of food is almost always available, without YOU having to cook a goddamn thing) is awesome, and probably the thing I miss the most.  Other than that, the rooms were kinda cozy, but livable.  And, even though the bathroom is communal, at least it was cleaned every day.  Of course, the proximity to cute girls that you have no reason to not offend is cool.  Plus, I'm legal now, so I could drink in there and not get in trouble.  If I could get a room with one of my friends, I totally would.

The RA's were pretty good at keeping people quiet during school-imposed "quiet hours" (11pm-8am during the regular school year, all the time during finals), so that was never a problem for me.  Actually...  It was more of a problem for me when I moved out of the dorms and into an "off-campus" residence.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By penguindust

I did for my freshman year and it was a worthwhile experience.  I made some good friends that year that I am sure I wouldn't have otherwise.  Interestingly enough, none of them were my roommates, but it doesn't matter.  It was certainly cheaper than when I was renting an apartment.  Granted, there are more restrictions and less privacy, but for one or two years that is a fine trade-off.  I'd go for it.  As for the noise level of roommates, I usually went to the campus library for intense study time.  Also, the housing laundry mat is a good place since no one ever hangs out there.  I had 7 roommates in my condo-like dormitory.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Cerza

No. Absolutely not. Never again will I live under anyone's roof except my own. In college/uni I moved off campus as soon as I possibly could, which was after the first year. The dorm was awful. I hated it. The lack of privacy and consideration, people constantly taking my shit, the unfriendly atmosphere (everyone always had their door closed, because they were drinking themselves stupid in their room and didn't want other people to see), and all those fucking bullshit rules you had to follow that made no sense. Then there was the floor meetings. A new one every week, which was never good and always felt like getting yelled at for doing something I didn't do. Ugh! I hated the dorms.

tomte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By tomte

well, i live with alot of chinese people on my floor and people from thailand and korea on the floor above, im swedish.
It was nice earlier when there were other westerners living here but now im alone with all these asians. Also there is only one single girl here, and she's not so good looking :(

There are good and bad parts with it, it's cheap and you learn about different cultures, however there is no isolation and i can fucking hear it when my neighbours have sex...

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Burns098356GX

I lived on rez 2 of the 3 years I was in school. First year was awesome, alot of parties ect. It was a good social experience. Second year I asked to be specifically put in that quieter end of the residence. We were lucky enough to have a residence that they could seperate the party people from people who needed quite-time. It worked out pretty good. Except I lived with a Arabic dude who loved too cook curry. And I'm sorry, that shit stinks worse than shit itself.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By ajamafalous

I can walk to pretty much any type of food establishment in less than 5 minutes, so yes.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By fwylo

Not if I can live at home.  I'd rather save the money than have the "college roommate"  experience.

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By JonathanMoore
@fwylo said:
" Not if I can live at home.  I'd rather save the money than have the "college roommate"  experience. "
But have you actually had the experience of not living at home yet? I'd just like to know as this is a straightforward answer from someone, I'm just hoping you have experience as I'm doing this in September.
fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By fwylo
@JonathanMoore:
Ya I moved out for a year after High School and worked before going back to school as well as moving home.

I lived with 2 guy roommates and one girl.  It was good to experience but I don't feel that I gained much from doing it.  Maybe if you aren't a responsible person and need to learn the concept of taking care of yourself then I definitely suggest moving out.  I say if you can stay home and not rack up a large amount of debt while going to school than that is awesome.  Personally I was doing everything for myself at home anyways so it wasn't a big change for me.  I understand people have to move away to college/university/whatever and don't have the option of living at home so don't grill me for that.

But also there are limitations that you have to respect living at home.  Obviously if you get along with your parents and can respect their rules its fine.  But there is something gained from having your own rules when you live alone.  Not saying all these rules do or don't apply when you live at home.  But things like Parties whenever you want, cleaning the house when you want, staying out till whenever you want.  Just not caring and having fun.  It is complete freedom, and if that is what you need to enjoy your post secondary experience then by all means go ahead.  But eventually you are going to have to be responsible and actually DO some shit.  All 3 of my roommates were in school while I was working so it was different for me and them, but the concept of living away from home is the same I think.  They were short for money all the time, but I was fine due to a full time job and not school.  All things you have to consider.

Chances are if you live at home you are either going to have a much lower rent or no rent.  Plus, chances are there will be no food cost/included in your rent.  Food is fucking expensive.  You don't know till you go to the grocery for the first time alone.  Trying to stock up with things you'll need and you think you're fine, until 3 days later when you realize you missed another $60 worth of stuff.

If you have the option to live at home and it is worth it to drive/bus to school then I highly recommend it.  Basically you will save tons of money.  If you can't handle the rules of your parents and need to learn some responsibility then I understand moving out as well.  But if you can live at home and just want that "college roommate"/party life experience.  You can definitely do that from home, maybe go to every party you hear about and meet all the people you aren't by living near them. Also you don't have to clean your house after the party that way.

Hope that helps :P
kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kmdrkul

Yes, I would.  I went to a community college for my first two years, so I missed out on living on campus, and just commuted every day from my parents house.  I've heard friends say that the second they started college at their universities, where they were dorming, they gained a hundred new friends because of the social nature of living on campus.  Meanwhile I was stuck going to a highly impersonal, hands-off community college, where if I wanted to make new friends, I had to go out of my way to make them... they weren't just handed to me on a silver platter the first day I moved in.  

I was too stubborn to accept it then, but now I've come to terms with the fact that I really could have used more acquaintances in my life, and I really do regret going to community college those two years.