Im locked out of my mac!

Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Funzzo

So I was surfing the net on my mac the other day when it froze up, so I held down the power button until it shut off. When it restarted there was a loading bar below the apple logo. This is something I have never seen before. After it was finished loading It brought up my login screen. I entered the only password I have ever had for my mac and the login screen shook because the password was not right. At first I thought I entered the password wrong so I tried a few more times and no luck getting in. I am stuck at the login screen. I have tried holding down the c,d,and alt keys at start up with the mac os disk in because thats what all the forums online say I should try. I dont know what to do now. I am so angry because my mac is not accepting the my password. Also and I dont know if this is important but before it crashed I could just enter the password and then hit the enter key. Now for some reason after I enter the password and hit enter it just highlights the password and I have to click on the login button. I am really starting to regret buying a mac. At least when my PC screws up I can log in and try and fix it. Any diehard Mac users out there that wanna help out a mac noob?    I have also posted this over at tested.com. Please someone help me!!
Avatar image for jackbauerctu225
JackBauerCTU225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By JackBauerCTU225

Well I have had my macbook for over a year and love it . I have never heard of that issue that is weird. I know to fix certain issues you go into system and drag the plist thats giving you trouble into the trash can.  Unfortunately that means you need to be logged in. 

Have you tried calling Apple support they are unbelievable, they are by far best customer support  I have ever dealt with. If you have an Apple store bring it to them they will fix it right up. 

good luck 
so sorry couldnt be more help 
let me know what happens

irish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By irish

Suppose you could try booting up with an external keyboard attached...one of the keys on your keyboard might be fucked. Not idea if taking it back to an Apple store is an option...

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By thebeast

Booting from your installation CD should give you the option to reset your password.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#5  Edited By sins_of_mosin

You could post on the apple forum but they'll probably delete it since they don't like to admit problems exist.  Then they'll send the kill command to the device which will take out a city block.
Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Funzzo

Called apple tech support and the fixed the problem. They had no idea of how my mac changed its password.  Also thanks for the feedback. :)

PepeSilvia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By PepeSilvia

What was the solution in the end? Very rare problem so I'm curious what could've caused it.

nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8  Edited By nickux
@Funzzo: boot from your install dvd. To do this, insert the disc then when you turn on the mac press and hold command+t then select the dvd from the available drives to boot from. You should be able to run diagnostics to fix the problem. I would also forward you to the Apple support forums unless you're still under AppleCare call 1800-MY-APPLE 

Hope this helps! 

EDIT: Sorry, I see you fixed the problem, nevermind. Be sure to post the solution for future users who may encounter this problem.