Driam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Driam

Well, what's all this then?

Okay, so short back-story: I've been in what I assume is the Swedish equivalent of college for the past 18 months where I've been studying game programming (and some other crap that came with the package) and a little bit of math. While I've made a few games during all of this, they've all been in the context of me learning how to program, so most of them are pretty tech demo-y.
Right now there are no lectures for a while, and I've started working on a project intended to end with me having a fully-fledged 3D game that I can release for the 360 through the Xbox live indie marketplace.
The game will be a puzzle game in the same style as something like Kororinpa, with the player rolling a ball through a maze while avoiding enemies and trying to reach the goal, collect a bunch of stuff or something of the kind. I'm set to show off my complete game (or at least something close) to the professor-dudes on the 11th of January and if all goes well I'll be able to submit it for peer review on microsoft's app hub (the place where dudes like me submit their games for certification before they're released) shortly thereafter. 

I'll try to keep this blog going and update it as often as I can. Hopefully you duders will have some ideas or opinions on what I'm doing. If not, I'll at least have some sort of log that I can use when the project's over and see how far I've come or horribly I've failed.

So where you at, dawg?

I've been working in 3D since mid-november and most of it's been spent on technical stuff like lighting and getting the camera fully functional. Right now there's not that much to see. The player controls a ball with the left stick, jumps with A and attempts to roll into the crappy spheres I made in Maya. There are also five black cubes in the middle that he can collide with or jump up on. Pretty psyched about those.

Driam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Driam

Well, what's all this then?

Okay, so short back-story: I've been in what I assume is the Swedish equivalent of college for the past 18 months where I've been studying game programming (and some other crap that came with the package) and a little bit of math. While I've made a few games during all of this, they've all been in the context of me learning how to program, so most of them are pretty tech demo-y.
Right now there are no lectures for a while, and I've started working on a project intended to end with me having a fully-fledged 3D game that I can release for the 360 through the Xbox live indie marketplace.
The game will be a puzzle game in the same style as something like Kororinpa, with the player rolling a ball through a maze while avoiding enemies and trying to reach the goal, collect a bunch of stuff or something of the kind. I'm set to show off my complete game (or at least something close) to the professor-dudes on the 11th of January and if all goes well I'll be able to submit it for peer review on microsoft's app hub (the place where dudes like me submit their games for certification before they're released) shortly thereafter. 

I'll try to keep this blog going and update it as often as I can. Hopefully you duders will have some ideas or opinions on what I'm doing. If not, I'll at least have some sort of log that I can use when the project's over and see how far I've come or horribly I've failed.

So where you at, dawg?

I've been working in 3D since mid-november and most of it's been spent on technical stuff like lighting and getting the camera fully functional. Right now there's not that much to see. The player controls a ball with the left stick, jumps with A and attempts to roll into the crappy spheres I made in Maya. There are also five black cubes in the middle that he can collide with or jump up on. Pretty psyched about those.

Crescendo1897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Crescendo1897

mite b cool

marcinkonys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By marcinkonys

Awesome, I wanna see more :) Gonna study game programming next year, myself, so this is really interesting.

Lab392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Lab392

dis cud b gr8

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By melcene

WITH ZOMBIES IN IT?

Lolimoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Lolimoto

Great stuff. Hope you keep the menu.
Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Scrawnto
@Driam: I gather it's a solo project? 

I'm curious. In your program did you study any game design, or is it all game programming? I'm in my fourth and final year of a bachelor's degree in Computer Game Design, and I'm 1/3 of the way through my senior design project on a team of 7 designers/programmers, backed up by 6 art majors we recruited. It's hard for me to imagine tackling a full game on my own and making it fun to play in such a short time. I've also only done a few small, demo-type projects. 

I wish you the best of luck! And remember: Play test early, and play test often!
Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Th3_James

Or you could call the game "Balls of Steel"

Driam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Driam
@Scrawnto: I'm flying solo for now, but once all the functionality is there I'm gonna get some outside talent for audio and visual stuff.
And yeah, it's all programming. The first course you take if you get accepted into the school I'm at is a light sample of design and programming so that you'll know if you wanna spend the next three years writing design docs and dialogue or if you wanna write code.
Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Scrawnto
@Driam said:
" @Scrawnto: I'm flying solo for now, but once all the functionality is there I'm gonna get some outside talent for audio and visual stuff. And yeah, it's all programming. The first course you take if you get accepted into the school I'm at is a light sample of design and programming so that you'll know if you wanna spend the next three years writing design docs and dialogue or if you wanna write code. "
Interesting. We're required to do some of both, but we have some leeway in choosing the upper level stuff we are interested in. I definitely fall on the coding side of things.