Iron Man 3 and IMAX

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jdh5153

So I'm going to the midnight (well actually 10pm) release of Iron Man 3 in 3D IMAX tomorrow night and was just wondering what to expect. I've never been to an IMAX midnight release, and the only midnight releases I've been to have been for the Harry Potter and Twilight movies (with my ex). Those you had to show up about 6-8 hours before show time to get decent seats (and this was on the east coast, so I'm not so sure how crazy people get out here). I don't think there's as much excitement for Iron Man 3 than there was with those movies (for example the last Harry Potter movie sold out every seat in every theater at the one we went to, therefore when they opened the doors they said you could choose whichever theater you wanted to sit in...It was like a stampede).

I'm thinking that it being IMAX would mean not as many people will be going to that version ($15.50 a ticket!), and it's opening at 9PM for the 3D and non 3D versions in the regular theater.

How early do you think we should show up to get decent seats? I definitely don't want to sit at the bottom for IMAX.... Any guesses? Have you been to a Marvel / DC IMAX midnight release before? Was it sold out?

Thanks!

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Benny

Can't you buy your tickets online? And can you check it isn't sold out?

Edit: And while I'm at it, I've seen the movie and it has one of the weirdest things I've seen in blockbuster cinema in a loooooooooooong time. Also stay till the end right after all the credits for a really cool scene.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@benny said:

Can't you buy your tickets online? And can you check it isn't sold out?

I bought the tickets already. My question mainly deals with how early should I show up to wait to get into the theater and still get a decent seat. For Harry Potter / Twilight 12am releases we always showed up at about 4pm and there were lines of about 50-100 people. I was hoping to show up at like 7:30 or 8pm tomorrow night, but was wondering what the Marvel / DC IMAX midnight release experience is like compared to Harry Potter / Twilight to gauge how early we need to show up.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@jdh5153: Based on what you've said, I'd say getting there around 6 would be best (if you can manage it). 3 hours is a long time, but it will guarantee you'll get at least mediocre seats. The best thing to do is check if it's sold out and/or buy your tickets online. Otherwise, try to buy them tonight or tomorrow during the day. Then you'll have one part of the equation (your tickets) figured out.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Benny

@jdh5153: Oh right, in the UK you pick your seat online, I thought the US had that too?

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@benny said:

@jdh5153: Oh right, in the UK you pick your seat online, I thought the US had that too?

Nope. One of the theaters back home did that for awhile, but people would just get in fights in the theater, so they stopped doing it.

@myketuna said:

@jdh5153: Based on what you've said, I'd say getting there around 6 would be best (if you can manage it). 3 hours is a long time, but it will guarantee you'll get at least mediocre seats. The best thing to do is check if it's sold out and/or buy your tickets online. Otherwise, try to buy them tonight or tomorrow during the day. Then you'll have one part of the equation (your tickets) figured out.

You think that many people would be there for IMAX? The 3D and regular showings are at 9, the IMAX theater is across the street and the showing is at 10. My girlfriend works til 5 and I don't want to make her wait in line all night..haha

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@jdh5153: Well, like I said, if you can swing 6, I'd go 6 just because of the guarantee. Otherwise, an hour, maybe an hour and half will be ok. The guarantee of mediocre seats falls downward as the time gets closer and closer though. No matter what theater you go to, Iron Man 3 is one of those movies.

I might be scarred though. When Iron Man 2 came out, I thought it would be all good, but I ended up underestimating the turnout and had to sit in the front row. Terrible experience. Now when it comes to these event movies (The Avengers, Dark Knight Rises, Transformers Dark of the Moon), I try to get there earlier than I think I should.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By probablytuna

This reminds me of the time I went to see Iron Man 2 on opening night and I got there a little late while most of my friends had already bought tickets. So me and some friends who were also late bought tickets for the next session but sneaked into the one that was showing at the moment. We managed to snag a few remaining seats at the front and fifteen minutes into the movie, about three to four dudes showed up and saw that the whole cinema was packed and they ended up sitting on the steps.

But anyways, hope you have more fun seeing Iron Man 3 than I did. Especially in IMAX.