Is anyone else interested in what's to come for the next Terminator film?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

Yes, more 'are you interested in' a film topic. Considering James Cameron is back on, and while not directing, having a lot of say in the next Terminator (and possible sequels) as Tim Miller -- the guy behind Dead Pool -- directs, I am really excited about what may come out of it. Latest news is that not only is Arnold back as an older model Terminator, but Linda Hamilton reprising her role as Sarah Connor is exciting. Deadpool was an interesting movie because it was a violent Marvel film, which at that time was kind of new (right?) I didn't love it, but it was good enough that I think Tim Miller could do justice to another Terminator that follows directly after T2, which disregards everything from T3 to Genysis. I am doubting that Edward Furlong as John Connor and Brad Fiedel as film composer will be back, but that would be awesome. I am currently watching a video that has both Tim Miller and James Cameron talking about the film, so watch if you're interested. Are you interested in what may come out of this more than the previous Terminator's, or are you feeling the same about it as you have the previous few films?

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Ezekiel

No. Watched Terminator 2 again a few days ago. Never gets old. The story ended fine. I don't wanna see old Arnold in that role. Skipped Genysis and will skip this too. Making more Terminator would just betray the peace message of T2.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Of course. I'm supidly in love with the Terminator universe.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By forteexe21

Have they said if it will have a truck? I think thats what Dan is look for.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Short answer: no. Long answer: I saw Rise of the Machines and gave up on Terminator from there. It's done. Let it rest.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Redhotchilimist

No. I watched 1 and 2 for the first time last year I think, and those are great action movies. But nothing I have seen of the others have recaptured that. I watched Salvation back when it came out in 2009 and that's up there for most forgettable movie. They should just stop, the ending of Terminator 2 was already perfect.

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ungodly

No. I have the unpopular opinion, that the Terminator series has always been bad. I also have the very unpopular opinion, that the only good movie James Cameron has ever made is the Abyss.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

Yes, only because of Tim Miller though. That guy is a super nerd and he really cares about this stuff. If this one is bad, then all hope is lost. THE TERMINATOR is so good. Hopefully they can recapture that magic.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Nah, let it rest. The fourth one was ok but dumb (chased by one terminator when in a terminator factory, wtf!?) but none of them compare to the first two.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless it's a sci-fi horror movie like T1, no I'm not interested.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ripelivejam

I remember I was sort of hyped for Terminator Salvation future war hijinks. Oh man was I let down...

e: Genisys has like zero net effect on me. I'm not sure if that's good or bad in comparison to Salvation. At least that elicited an emotion.

Arjailer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Arjailer

Sure.

T1 and T2 are classics. I actually quite liked T3. Salvation was a forgettable side-story. Genisys was a bit meh, but not overly offensive.

So, yes, I'm interested to see what they do with it.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in the minority in that I liked Genisys. So knowing the new film disregards that I find myself significantly less interested in it.

Slasktotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I have to say that the older I get the less I enjoy Cameron's films. While they look and sound fantastic, I really dislike a lot of the story and character choices he makes. For example in Terminator 2, the whole "Terminator is a dad thing" feels saccharine and tonally at odds with the rest of the movie, the voice over is some real on the nose stuff as well.

In Aliens you have the whole Newt storyline which by jove, really feels stupid.

I'd rather they give Tim Miller the money too make his own stuff! I don't need more terminator stuff ever.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ZolRoyce

The last good James Cameron film was in the 90's, and I have nothing against Tim Miller but the only full fledged movie under his belt was a real team effort it seems, his name holds no weight in and of itself. He's not a Peter Jackson or Martin Scorsese or someone whose name means something, he doesn't have a big enough catalogue to matter at this point. Also Cameron has entered his old man George Lucas phase.
So, not interested no, but I don't route for it to be bad, hell I don't route for freaking Avatar 2, 3 and 4 to be bad. I don't *want* anything to be bad ever. I hope the next Terminator is the best written, best directed, best acted one yet, with killer action.
I don't expect it to be however.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Absolutely not.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me this the last chance of finally getting a real Terminator 3 but it's a shame it's being done now it should of been done in 99 or 00. I actually have some hope this wouldn't be shit since Cameron and Hamilton are aboard. But it will not top T2 no chance that movie hit at the right time and place damn I miss the 90's. :(

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bring back Lance Henricksen somehow. I mean, it's not like he aged at all since the first...

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

I like the series but it's not near and dear to me so I'm down to see another Terminator movie. I've enjoyed all of them to some degree except for Genisys. Whatever they do I probably won't be that critical of it 'cause I see the franchise as just fun sci-fi. The universe seems cool enough for standalone movies yet they seem to always be so intend on attaching all of them to the Connors. Me, I don't need Connor or Arnold, just give me cool sci-fi action.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@ntm: Deadpool is one word.

With James Cameron and Linda Hamilton on-board I will at least watch it.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zolroyce said:

The last good James Cameron film was in the 90's

All of James Cameron's movies are good.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel said:
@zolroyce said:

Fair if that's your opinion, mine is Avatar is far from good, and I know I'm not alone in that. Tech wise, very impressive, even some fun action, but not good.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

No. The series has gone downhill since 2... 3 was uninspired, Salvation was entirely forgetable, and Genesys was one of the worst moviegoing experiences I had that year.

Cameron's involvement does nothing to improve my expectations... he is also credited in other Terminator movies...

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Tim Miller, but I don't like James Cameron. I honestly haven't been interested in Terminator since T2

Ecosse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn’t that interested when I first heard about it, thinking it would be another one in the Genesys “timeline”

But hearing that it’s wiping the slate from everything after 2, I’m midly optimistic.

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm as excited as I am for the Avatar sequels.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flstyle: You're right. Whoops. I knew when I was typing that it looked awkward. I was pretty tired by then. I guess I'll fix it now, thanks.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zolroyce said:
@ezekiel said:
@zolroyce said:

Fair if that's your opinion, mine is Avatar is far from good, and I know I'm not alone in that. Tech wise, very impressive, even some fun action, but not good.

It depends on what you're looking for in a movie experience. I think Avatar in terms of the story fails in comparison to the previous Cameron films as it (like the thing I'll mention next) is pretty basic, and the characters while I liked well enough, they were kind of plain. The biggest draw is the detailed world that was created. I also love the (albeit, not entirely unique) human tech, and even the brief scenes of the Earth scenes. Pandora is great. I was indifferent on the film when I saw it in theaters and then the first time on Blu-Ray but after watching it again, I fell in love with it. I now have, along with a few other Blu-Ray collection movies, the Extended Collector's Edition. It became one of my favorite sci-fi universes (granted, there are quite a few). That all said, while I'll go see the next, last few Avatar films, as a fan of it, I am even lacking enthusiasm as it's been so long since the original, and it's not even coming that soon.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ezekiel

@ntm said:
@zolroyce said:
@ezekiel said:
@zolroyce said:

It depends on what you're looking for in a movie experience. I think Avatar in terms of the story fails in comparison to the previous Cameron films as it (like the thing I'll mention next) is pretty basic, and the characters while I liked well enough, they were kind of plain. The biggest draw is the detailed world that was created. I also love the (albeit, not entirely unique) human tech, and even the brief scenes of the Earth scenes. Pandora is great. I was indifferent on the film when I saw it in theaters and then the first time on Blu-Ray but after watching it again, I fell in love with it. I now have, along with a few other Blu-Ray collection movies, the Extended Collector's Edition. It became one of my favorite sci-fi universes (granted, there are quite a few). That all said, while I'll go see the next, last few Avatar films, as a fan of it, I am even lacking enthusiasm as it's been so long since the original, and it's not even coming that soon.

But I also like Avatar for the story... James Cameron is a good storyteller.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Terminator ended at 2 for me and probably will be for awhile. If they really want to continue this series, they basically do need to reboot it. Maybe this is sacrilegious... but what if they just got rid of all the established characters and had a different timeline that involves different people and a different plot. No more CGI or old Arnold. No more trying to find people that resemble the old cast. Just new people from an altered timeline/universe and they have to deal with a new machine uprising.

The thing about the original Terminator is that it's an old trope of itself, but the idea is still a current debate and possible issue, depending if you take the word of Elon Musk or Stephen Hawking seriously. The series suffers like many of the other popular series from the 80s and 90s were later installments in the franchise just stereotype themselves with writing similar scenes that happened in the original, but now they have a "twist" or they become a punchline and a joke. T1 and T2 were frightening because most of us had never seen or thought of that before, but now that we have, we need something new that isn't more of the same.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Saying they are going to erase all the sequels after 2 is a step in the right direction. Give it an R rating and maybe I'll check it out but I'm not very optimistic.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ec693ca37d2a
deactivated-5ec693ca37d2a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course. I'm supidly in love with the Terminator universe.

I feel the same. I get these new movies are not getting the best reviews, but i'm glad they are fleshing out the universe, as it has so much potential for new stories.

And the Sarah Connor Chronicles, damnit!

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By NTM

@ezekiel: I didn't say it was a bad story, nor did I say people can't like it for the story. I just said it was kind of basic. It was more cliche (just with a sci-fi twist) and to me, with a little less emotion than some of his previous work. I liked it fine though. That said, the universe that he created is also part of the story, and I love that. It is detailed in its own way. My previous comment was just about looking at it a different way. If you go in expecting a lot out of the story, you may be disappointed. It's better to look into the details than the simple story beats of go to the alien world, become good alien, evil humans fight good aliens. The whole cowboy's vs. Indians, Pocahontas story is the basic part, but there's a lot more to it to appreciate.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zolroyce said:

The last good James Cameron film was in the 90's...

He's made exactly one film since 1997, so this statement literally means nothing.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By hippie_genocide

Sure, I'm interested, because who doesn't love a good train wreck? And hey maybe just maybe it'll actually be good, but I wouldn't say I'm all that optimistic about it.

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think there are definitely alternative versions of the story to tell... Sarah Connor Chronicles did cracking job of that. However nothing else has managed it... Terminator 3 had an unbelievable ending that it just didn't earn. Salvation was just dull and Genysis was an absolute mess.

Linda Hamilton being back certainly does make this interesting to say the least.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zolroyce said:

The last good James Cameron film was in the 90's...

He's made exactly one film since 1997, so this statement literally means nothing.

Lest we forget Dark Angel sir. So that's two whole things. Now you might say that A) Not a movie. B) Now you're just being difficult. To which I say, yes.

But seriously, that only strengthens my point, he has only made one movie since the 90's (excluding documentaries) and created (thought only directed 1 episode) of a failed t.v. series.
So yeah, the guy who has made only one movie (and in my personal opinion, a not very good one.) Isn't someone I'll have a lot of faith in. So that doesn't mean literally nothing, that means he's literally only done one mediocre thing, one failed thing, and a handful of documentaries for his admittedly very very cool hobby of exploring the ocean.

I am not in any way shape or form saying people shouldn't be excited for it or have faith in him though, to each their own. He has a very good track record with sequels (T2, Aliens) so who knows?

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in it for the long haul. The Terminator franchise is too interesting (both in-universe and as a fascinating study in what should have been a largely forgotten cult classic becoming a massive phenomenon) to ignore, no matter how bad it gets.

Besides, I... didn't hate Genisys. It was dumb fun, and at least it wasn't a bland yawnfest like Salvation. So really, that makes exactly one entry in the franchise that I actively hate, two that I adore (three if you count TSCC), and two that I'm okay with. Pretty decent overall.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Eh, I'm somewhat interested. I haven't seen any of the films after T3 (which I actually kind of like), so I don't really care about whatever lore was established, will be retconned, etc. I generally enjoy Cameron's work (save Avatar and Titanic), and Miller's Deadpool had its moments. I do think there are some interesting things that can be done with the Terminator universe (see: TSCC, which was awesome), so I'm open to more from it. It's cool that Linda Hamilton is coming back as Sarah, but they probably ought to bring Edward Furlong back as well. Having a later-in-life family dynamic there (provided they do it well) could be interesting. Arnie's getting a little tough to buy as an action hero at age 70, so his reported role as the human whose appearance was used by the T-800 model seems like a good idea. I'll give this a shot.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a chance personally, I hated 3 and Genesys and Salvation didn't feel at all like a Terminator film to me. I'll choose to believe the story ends with 2, also T2 is the only Cameron film I've ever thought was anything but derivative and/or dull.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel it peaked at T2. Are there still stories too tell? Sure. But I'm not interested.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm interested on what Tim Miller is doing but that's mostly it.

I couldn't care less about a new Terminator movie, the first two movies were enough to tell that story. Something else on that universe could be cool, but there's no need to go back to the Connors.

And I also dislike the vast majority of James Cameron's work, I think he is an awful storyteller/writer who happens to be really good at pushing the boundaries of technology in the cinema industry, so I don't care about that part either.

dartell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely yes! I love the series. T5 would of been awesome if they didn't spoil the whole twist. I can pick out a great scene from T3 on that are great.

T3: Car chase scene is absolutely bonkers. I was really let down when I saw this movie in theaters. No Terminator theme, cheesy lines, etc. Watching it years later, it is actually a great popcorn flick.

T4: The escape from the human camp scene is great, very tense. I felt like I was on the battlefield! Also, shout out to the "Cameo" at the end. I went crazy! This movie doesn't hold up at all.

T5: Bringing the T-1000 back was awesome. I really wish the movie focused more on the combination of T1 T2 storyline mixing and less of the twist.

If I had to rate the moves from best to medicore...

T2

T1

T5 T3

T4

I hope John Connor is a different actor. Keep the streak alive!

hawkinson76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

No. I actually liked Genysis, it felt like anime.

My love for T2 has faded a lot over the years.

DarkeyeHails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DarkeyeHails

No, God no, you would have to be some kind of masochist to be excited for another installment of the Terminator franchise.

Ultimately, the blame falls with us, the idiots who keep going out to see this dreck because we hope they "recapture the magic", forgetting that Terminator 2 was (a) an entirely lesser film than the original and (b) only just gets away with stretching the series' premise to breaking point. Everything that follows has been a dreadful mess of sub-par action movies at best and Genisys at worst. Anything that follows will be that. A complete reboot might be an idea but, honestly, I feel like they would be better off just leaving it well enough alone.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By shiftygism

Not really looking forward to it, but will give it a shot simply because both Cameron and Hamilton are involved. I do however hope they actually acknowledge the fact that the original John Connor was just a dude that fell into a leadership role as the Connor we know tries to accept his orchestrated destiny ensuring the human race defeats Skynet in at least one timeline, but may not be as well prepared as Sarah had hoped. Like a dual storyline running alongside each other would be cool....but I doubt they'll ever get that adventurous with Terminator. The last time they were (Salvation) McG and the studio got cold feet over the negative reaction the leaked ending of Mr.Avatar McWhatshisface posing as John to rally the troops instead of simply being his heart donor, which ultimately left the film seeming pointless.