I've been mad for fucking years, absolute years....

DarkGamerOO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By DarkGamerOO7

I've always been mad, I know I've been mad like the most of us are. Very hard to explain why your mad, even if you're not mad. I've been over the edge for yonks.... it all started when I recently  began to discover, embrace, and react to music, but I've done so in such a way that I'm slowly treading down the path to becoming and Audiophile. Soon I will be purchasing a turntable, yes turntable, and start to buy my music almost exclusively on Vinyl. The only time I will think about buy a Audio CD, is if a Vinyl Record costs way to much, or is too hard to find in a playable condition. (Pink Floyd really needs to re-release all of their albums on Vinyl, I don't feel like paying $150 for the Division Bell.)

So my focus is drifting quickly to music and less on games, I really don't see myself buying another game from here on until Christmas. Instead, I will buy music, loads of music. (So far my Vinyl Record to get list is at.....49 and growing). I also don't see myself renewing my Xbox Live subscription again when it expires. I feel I waste to much time just playing random people than enjoying a game's story and single-player aspect.

I've been listing to albums like made. I listened to Make Believe, Weezer (Red Album), 21st Breakdown, The Wall, Wish You Were Here, Animals, Dark Side of the Moon and the Division Bell. I've been listening to on average 7-8 albums a day, sometimes the same album multiple times. Pink Floyd taught me everything I currently enjoy and understand about music, before I started listening to their albums, I view music as more about the songs rather than the album as a whole, and the entire experience it offered. This then led me down the road to take interest in the Vinyl format. I also used to exclusively listen to music from my computer with my music files at a 128 Kb Bit-Rate, now I listen to Audio CD's with music outputting through my sound system because of the quality difference between a CD, and a MP3 file. I've also converted every piece of music I own on my computer to a 320 Kb Bit-Rate.

I really am not too sure where I'm going with this blog other than this is all rather weird for me as I've never really focused on music and now I am, I could never get into Pink Floyd, and all the sudden, about half a year ago something just clicked, and my whole view of music changed drastically and quickly.

This is slightly Off-Topic, but related to my interest in Vinyl. I can actually see the Audio CD being phased (Vinyl has actually been increasing in sales while Audio CD's continue to plummet) out and Vinyl replacing it (which would come bundled with a free MP3 download of the album.) The Audio CD is inferior to the sound quality of Vinyl, and they're useless in terms of portability and convince (the reason Vinyls were phased out by the music Industry starting in the  early to mid 1980's) compared to MP3. There is also something about hold the album cover in your hands, read the notes and watching a Vinyl spin that is magical, even the snap, crackle, and pop of well used records just adds something to the experience you can't get on either a CD or MP3.

-DarkGamerOO7

Videogames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Videogames

The title is kind of confusing, you are mad about games then it turns into a discussion about vinyl format music?

I guess the distortion vinyl gives is more of a nostalgic factor than anything else. I understand why you like it. If I tried to listen to a really crisp and clear version of a Jimmi Hendrix master I don't think I would like very much. And if you had some hardcore kid try to listen to a slipknot song like it came out on vinyl he would probably throw a temper tantrum.

The whole post seems like a blog so all I can really say is... okay bro.

DarkGamerOO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By DarkGamerOO7
@Tastyburger8 said:
" The title is kind of confusing, you are mad about games then it turns into a discussion about vinyl format music?I guess the distortion vinyl gives is more of a nostalgic factor than anything else. I understand why you like it. If I tried to listen to a really crisp and clear version of a Jimmi Hendrix master I don't think I would like very much. And if you had some hardcore kid try to listen to a slipknot song like it came out on vinyl he would probably throw a temper tantrum. The whole post seems like a blog so all I can really say is... okay bro. "
Its more of a, my focus from games is shifting to music kinda thing.
Videogames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Videogames

Well, in that case you should learn to play an instrument. It can be very fun.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By DanielJW

Ohhh I have tons of ancient vinyls lying around. Old record player too. I should really go through them one day, check for anything good. Pink Floyd is a hell of a band, I wish you well on your journey to the vinyl domain.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Xeiphyer

Hmm well I doubt vinyl will ever replace an audio CD because that would be complete nonsense. I suspect the sales increase of vinyls has to do with a mostly nostalgia factor felt by older people and people becoming older and wanting to capture their childhood or teen years again.

And as for audio CDs, I wish they were abolished. Bands receive next to no money from their album sales and it instead goes straight to the publisher. Thats why I have to problem with people downloading music, as long as you support your bands by buying tshirts and seeing them in concert, thats where the bands actually get their money from. I hate when I see greedy corporate music labels complaining and sueing people for downloading music because it "Disrupts their sales and causes the bands to lose money" Not to mention it apperently kills the industry.

For example look at the movie industry. They claim piracy is destroying their businesses and preach all the time about how people are causing them to lose tonnes of money and go out of business. Well heres some interesting information, the MPAA made record profits in 2007 (Most recent available).

So yeah, I hate when people complain that progress and technological advances are ruining their business, Digital distribution is a much more viable and economically friendly way of getting media in consumers hands, and it encourages people to discover new and great movies and music and go out and see them live, or purchase the movies, or go see the next movie from that director they now like.

Ive spent at least $3000+ on going to concerts for bands I probably would have never listened to had I not downloaded them first.

fr0sterson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By fr0sterson

Vinyl will die just like CD will die. Digital (as in on mass storage devices) will be the only source of music in the future, and will be of a higher fidelity than Vinyl or CD.

adam_grif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By adam_grif

We're a bit of a... freedom of information household. Needless to say audio quality doesn't bother me much as long as it's listenable.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Azteck

Dude, vinyls are sweet. They don't sell them in a lot of places here but I found one place where they had a few. I thought about getting Stadium Arcadium by the Red Hot Chili Peppers or possibly No Line On The Horizon. Didn't have any cash when I went into the store though.

My dad however bought The Beatles Love album which will most likely gather some serious value.

Not to mention how awesome a vinyl record looks, just make sure to take good care of your records and don't put some weird shit on them to protect them.

AzureSupernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By AzureSupernova

The only vinyl I have is what my grandad, all The Beatles. Badass stuff and beats the shit out of the CD remasters anyday

Harknett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Harknett

@fr0sterson
said:
" Vinyl will die just like CD will die. Digital (as in on mass storage devices) will be the only source of music in the future, and will be of a higher fidelity than Vinyl or CD. "
Actually, based on industry trends and the experience of friends in the music business, Vinyl is probably going to outlast the CD by quite a few years. Most consumers these days are buying a CD, ripping it to their MP3 device, and then putting the CD on the shelf. With the inclusion of things like download codes with Vinyl you provide a product that still ends up on their MP3 player but also has a ton more "display" value. 

It could just be a trend and I'll admit that my vision on this is somewhat skewed by living in an east coast college town where everyone owns everything from Eazy-Duz-It to American Beauty on vinyl but I'm fairly certain you'll see record sales continue to rise while CD sales drop. 

Also, why would ANYONE listen to post-Pinkerton Weezer?