Just made my top ten list for 2011 and realised something

Yodasdarkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Yodasdarkside

I'm not entirely positive about any of them this year. Am I becoming turned off gaming, or just demanding more from my games?

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Maybe you just didn't play any good games this year

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By bacongames

@Yodasdarkside said:

I'm not entirely positive about any of them this year. Am I becoming turned off gaming, or just demanding more from my games?

One year where the specific games in particular don't do it for you is not a justification that you are done with gaming or that gaming is done with you. Just call it an off year and move on unless you find yourself playing a hell of a lot less and being okay with that. Personally I don't see anything that different with this year but that's just me.

rockinkemosabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By rockinkemosabe

No, it's not you. There were a lot of great games, but nothing really that made a real impact. I think it's just the state of the industry that the Bombcast has been saying, this cycle has gone on longer than it normally would and we're just seeing sequels and games that really haven't broken the mold. Hopefully we'll see some change ups in the next few years.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c69b4d231869
deactivated-5c69b4d231869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@Yodasdarkside: Just an off year, probably. Care to share the list?

Tarakun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Tarakun

Is this a list of all your favorite games that came out this year? Or your favorite games you played this year?

Because I usually run into this problem where I've played a lot of games over the course of the year, but very few of them actually came out this year. This tends to affect my ability to pick a game of the year, because I usually don't have that much to pick from. I'll often play games the next year and realize what would have been my game of the year had I played it 6 months earlier.

The games that reached you the most this year might not be eligible for Game of the Year, which is why I like the idea of your personal game of the year, the most important game you played versus the most important game released.

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By CptChiken

I think i have only played about 3 games i actually enjoyed this year... though i havent yet played skyrim or batman. which will probably bring that number up to 5 

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#8  Edited By KowalskiManDown

People keep saying that this year was an off one, and quite honestly, it scares me. I honestly thought this year was incredible for games.

Skyrim, Portal 2, LA Noire, Gears of War 3, Arkham City and let's not forget Saints Row: The Third!

Sure, a lot of sequels... but I guess I'm fine with that, as long as they're good.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MideonNViscera

I was hoping the OP's realization would be that we don't need anymore top ten lists on the internet.

EDIT: Also it's funny how the phrasing of the title makes me think he had a top 10 list the past few years, and that somewhere there's a different kind of list in his house that reads something like:

-pick Martha up from pilates

-pay phone bill

-groceries

-clean gutters

-make yearly top 10 list

-call cable company

hahah

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mnzy

@MideonNViscera said:

I was hoping the OP's realization would be that we don't need anymore top ten lists on the internet.

That's on my top 10 list of things we don't need on the internet anymore.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#11  Edited By Legend

I personally think this is one of the best years we've ever had for games. I don't remember ever finishing so many games as I did this year, and most of them were great.

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#12  Edited By Draugen

Yes. You are becoming turned off gaming, and you will never, ever enjoy another game again as long as you live. Time for a new hobby...

Yodasdarkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

It is not just you. I never played a game this year that I found fantastic unlike the last few years. That is not to say I never liked any games, just not as much.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By FancySoapsMan
@Creamypies said:

People keep saying that this year was an off one, and quite honestly, it scares me. I honestly thought this year was incredible for games.

Skyrim, Portal 2, LA Noire, Gears of War 3, Arkham City and let's not forget Saints Row: The Third!

Sure, a lot of sequels... but I guess I'm fine with that, as long as they're good.

It scares me too :(

and there were plenty of great games this year that weren't sequels.
zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By zeushbien

Skyrim and The Witcher 2 were all I truly loved this year.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17  Edited By JasonR86

Maybe your expectations are too high.

astrodoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18  Edited By astrodoggy

grab a friend, play portal 2 co-op... its the only cure

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By nintendoeats

As far as I'm concerned there were 4 superb games this year (not including Skyrim and Skyward Sword which I haven't played) and everything else was kind of meh

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SSully

I thought it was an amazing year. Even if you just pick 3 or 4 games to play all year you can have a great time. Portal 2, Skyrim, Dead Space, and something like Terraria are all games that came out this year that gave me hours of enjoyment.

Avatar image for warlockengineermoredakka
WarlockEngineerMoreDakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Many of us seem to have an 'off' year in gaming at some point. :)

Mine was unquestionably last year- 2010 was pretty bad. :(

I only own 4 2010 games, as hardly anything else last year interested me in the slightest. Starcraft 2 was the only big release I was eager for. The other 3 2010 titles I have were all indie or obscure titles.

Once I get a new PS3 though... 2011 definitely shouldn't be a repeat. It might not turn out to be as grand as 2007+2008 for me, but I'm not writing 2011 off yet- Christmas is yet to come! :D

krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By krazy_kyle

Considering Skyrim is first on your top 10 list and you arent entirely positive about it, then yes, your gaming life is over i'm afraid

mac_n_nina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mac_n_nina

Judging by your list you played a bunch of shitty games. So it's probably an off year for you. I personally enjoyed this year probably way more than last year.

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By daiphyer

Dragon Age 2 is your number 3. There is your problem.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Getz

Definitely seems like across the board people are a little disappointed with this year. I'd wager it's a mix of high expectations and lower quality. There were some really good games this year, but none of them seemed to spark that intensity in gamers that they so crave.

McBEEF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By McBEEF

I wasnt that amazed by my wishlist this year either, (skyrim, batman, etc) dunno why maybe because I knew they would be great games, so there wasnt any wonder or anticipation

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Brunchies

Meh, this year was kind of off compared to last year in my mind. Last year my goty's were red dead redemption and mass effect 2. This year its mostly Saints row 3, yeah I dont think this year was that great.

Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Harkat

@RockinKemosabe said:

No, it's not you. There were a lot of great games, but nothing really that made a real impact. I think it's just the state of the industry that the Bombcast has been saying, this cycle has gone on longer than it normally would and we're just seeing sequels and games that really haven't broken the mold. Hopefully we'll see some change ups in the next few years.

Pretty much this. There have been a lot of extremely good games, but they have all been solid improvements on tried concepts. We have no fresh new hit this year.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I definitely haven't really been thrilled with anything this year, but I'd say that is just because we're approaching the end of the generation cycle and all we're seeing is constant sequels.

Deus Ex 3 and the Witcher 2 have been the only games to really wow me this year, although I'm still to play Uncharted, Arkham City and Saints Row 3.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#30  Edited By Little_Socrates

I've still gotta finish a few of this year's best games. Skyward Sword, Skyrim, and The Witcher 2 all have space to impress me.

Generally, I agree. Some of my favorite games this generation came out this year, but none of those are my favorite games of all time. Which only looks problematic when you consider that I can say one of my favorite games ever has come out since at least 2007, but that's more 'cause we're living in a great time for games.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#31  Edited By benspyda

Dead Space 2, Skyrim, Dark Souls and Saints Row I loved the hell out of this year. Everything else has been a disappointment in one way or another. I think the disconnect is a bunch of games getting super high scores from critics but I'm not enjoying them like I feel I should be (Batman mainly for me). I had similar feelings last year. So no you are not going off gaming, I feel that gaming is just beginning to stagnate. I hope a new console generation will refresh this but I'm not sure it has anything to do with technology and more game design.

Thankfully Skyrim has renewed my love for video games this year. My most engaging experience with games is when I can customize my character to my play style. I feel Dead Space 2, Skyrim, Dark Souls and Saints Row all did this really well. The more options I have the more engaged I get. But this game design philosophy has been around a long time and it hasn't stagnated. Games kinda have become more like pop music, super fun for a little while but don't last, where as more deep and fulfilling music can last you a lifetime. There are only so many explosions and set pieces you can throw at me before I get bored, like I get bored of [insert pop song here].

plaintomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By plaintomato

@Yodasdarkside said:

I feel that way most of the time too - having been a pretty consistent gamer since the original Half-Life. It's a rare game that feels new and compelling...

For me, it's between Dark Souls and Portal 2 this year - but I do completely understand Skyrim as a more than valid choice. There have been a lot of other good games this year, but not a lot of GOTY material.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Aus_azn

My 2011 top 10 doesn't have 10 games on it.

1. DiRT 3
  2. TESV: Skyrim
  3. Saints Row the Third
  4. Dragon Age II
  5. Portal 2
  6. Uncharted 3

Considering that I found Dragon Age II to be "meh" and that I hated Uncharted 3, that's saying something.

Yes, I was generally underwhelmed by Portal. I just don't think it's my cup o' tea.