Korra is the worst avatar ever.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Poll Korra is the worst avatar ever. (546 votes)

Yes 34%
No 38%
No, that other water tribe avatar was the worst. 29%

Whiny, incompetent, ungrateful, doesn't learn from her mistakes, makes really dumb mistakes consistently, ADHD, deals clumsily with emotional, physical and spiritual challenges. She's worse than the last Water tribe Avatar who lost his face to that thing. Speaking of which, do you remember how well Aang dealt with that situation despite his fear? That sort of tension and atmosphere has never been present in the Korra series. And for some reason all the bad guys are from the water tribe now; Amon, Tarrlok, Korra's uncle, that rich guy, etc. What is up with that? It makes me sad thinking of how well developed and likeable Sokka and Katara were and then looking at this sorry lot of characters. Ugh. They had their issues, but they learned from their mistakes and grew up. A lot of what Aang accomplished would have been impossible without those two. Korra seems unable and unwilling to learn.

"YOU'RE EITHER WITH ME OR AGAINST ME! NEVER DOUBT ME I'M THE AVATAR!!!!"

*gets ass handed to her*

Yes, this was a nerdy rant about a cartoon, deal with it.

• 
EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#201  Edited By EXTomar

The issue with "Amon" is that he didn't appear to have much of a plan beyond "take over the city!" but nothing indicating he had anything more than just doing that. Taking over the city and beating down benders is a threat but but the lack of an aim or goal beyond base power grab seems more like a criminal issue than something that "I'm restoring the balance damn it!" Korra should have taken so long to figure out.

That said there were some interesting themes played with bender/non-bender relationships that could have been played further with but are ignored which maybe the real problem with Book 1.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

That finale was awesome but jeez...poor Korra.

Yeah really. I skipped season 2 as advised by many, but season 1 ended with her contemplating suicide, and now this. Girl can't catch a break. Although having all the Airbenders become the Avatar Corps is a cool idea (and totally won't cause any problems at all...)

I'm really not surprised that Nick didn't air these episodes though. Off-screen exploding heads and explicit torture sequences do not a kid's show make.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So a kids show would have on screen exploding heads? :)

The issues with Nick have been manifold due to increased competition from Disney Channel where having such an action packed and violent show like Korra just compounds their confusion. Previous seasons I could get the show by itunes and amazon but who knows when they'll release this.

Avatar image for matthewthebeast
MatthewTheBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@liquidprince:

Heh. Unfortunately I am one of those who were quick to judge. Though my memory of season 1 was a tad lazy, the romance bits were the least of the season's problems. I believe the purpose of it were much in the same vein as bending games character building from teamwork and social interaction. Both of which I found lackluster, but based on from what you said in this thread I can sort of see what they were trying to do. Maybe it was just the writing that killed it for me, dunno. Much like BabyChooChoo, let's agree to disagree.

Although that being said, I will try to see the Legend Of Korra from your view in the future by marathoning seasons 1, 2 and 3. Perhaps with some director commentary if I can get the blu-rays for 1 & 2 on the cheap. Plus, it'll be interesting to see a semi-complete series with such a disjointed production history and how it tries to get things together. Fresh in the mind and etc etc.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

@liquidprince:

Heh. Unfortunately I am one of those who were quick to judge. Though my memory of season 1 was a tad lazy, the romance bits were the least of the season's problems. I believe the purpose of it were much in the same vein as bending games character building from teamwork and social interaction. Both of which I found lackluster, but based on from what you said in this thread I can sort of see what they were trying to do. Maybe it was just the writing that killed it for me, dunno. Much like BabyChooChoo, let's agree to disagree.

Although that being said, I will try to see the Legend Of Korra from your view in the future by marathoning seasons 1, 2 and 3. Perhaps with some director commentary if I can get the blu-rays for 1 & 2 on the cheap. Plus, it'll be interesting to see a semi-complete series with such a disjointed production history and how it tries to get things together. Fresh in the mind and etc etc.

Honestly, I'm rewatching the series right now. I'm enjoying season 1 for the most part, the only real problem i've personally encountered is the romance and the way it's handled.

hohosaregood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the big problem with the show is that the creators didn't know how many seasons/episodes they would have to actually tell their story. IIRC the first season was supposed to be the only one, then they added more episodes to the first season. All while having way fewer episodes in total compared to the first series. Makes for bad flow from season to season when the creators don't know if they should make a more complex overarching story or a more self-contained single season story. This is why I think season 3 is so much better since they also knew they'd have a season 4 to continue the story on to.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#208  Edited By LiquidPrince

@matthewthebeast said:

@liquidprince:

That's cool to hear. Hopefully you'll appreciate it differently if you see it again. But for the record, the history of Korra's production isn't THAT disjointed. It originally started as a single season series, but very early into Book One Nickeldoeon ordered it to be turned into a four season series, and most of Book One through to Book Four were all sketched out, planned and written back to back.

MatthewTheBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By MatthewTheBeast
@liquidprince said:

@matthewthebeast said:

@liquidprince:

That's cool to hear. Hopefully you'll appreciate it differently if you see it again. But for the record, the history of Korra's production isn't THAT disjointed. It originally started as a single season series, but very early into Book One Nickeldoeon ordered it to be turned into a four season series, and most of Book One through to Book 4 were all sketched out, planned and written back to back.

Hm.. I thought Nick only renewed Korra for second season mid-way or the end of season 1? (the announcement was made around early July of 2012). Then at around the second season they ordered another two seasons( 3 & 4). Although if I was right it means that had roughly 14 months of pre/production time for season 2. While season 1/setting/characters/animation/style/etc took roughly 2 years.

Edit: This is mainly based on memory from interviews and articles. Including wikipedia of series overview for some minor fact checking on dates.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquidprince said:

@matthewthebeast said:

@liquidprince:

That's cool to hear. Hopefully you'll appreciate it differently if you see it again. But for the record, the history of Korra's production isn't THAT disjointed. It originally started as a single season series, but very early into Book One Nickeldoeon ordered it to be turned into a four season series, and most of Book One through to Book 4 were all sketched out, planned and written back to back.

Hm.. I thought Nick only renewed Korra for second season mid-way or the end of season 1? (the announcement was made around early July of 2012). Then at around the second season they ordered another two seasons( 3 & 4). Although if I was right it means that had roughly 14 months of pre/production time for season 2. While season 1/setting/characters/animation/style/etc took roughly 2 years.

Edit: This is mainly based on memory from interviews and articles. Including wikipedia of series overview for some minor fact checking on dates.

You could be right, although like you, I remember it the way I mentioned previously. I'm pretty sure that Book's 2 to 4 were ordered at the same time, or very quickly afterwards.

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By octaslash

@walkmanboy said:

That finale was awesome but jeez...poor Korra.

Yeah really. I skipped season 2 as advised by many, but season 1 ended with her contemplating suicide, and now this.

I highly recommend watching season 2. It has two of the best episodes in the entire series that are also important to the mythology. The second half of that season is pretty great in general.

Avatar image for unstoppablebomb
UnstoppableBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me, Ang is the best

MatthewTheBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By MatthewTheBeast

Hey lads, guess what? Season 4 is coming in... 3 weeks. Whelp.

No Caption Provided

I'll be interested in hearing what they'll say about this at their NY ComicCon panel.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@matthewthebeast: Whaaaat? They said they were already in post-production on that nerdist podcast, but I didn't know it would be this soon. I'm actually kind of excited.

Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

when is this series going to end?

Jocund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@billymagnum: Book 4 is the last planned book. Even if it wasn't, with how Nick has been treating this show I doubt they'd have any luck producing a Book 5.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

October?! Daaaamn, that's really fucking soon! I picked a great time to binge watch the series.

@billymagnum Probably in either January or February of next year, assuming we get one episode every week. (In past seasons, they would occasionally bundle two episodes in one, but since it's online only now I don't think they'll do any of that.)

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey lads, guess what? Season 4 is coming in... 3 weeks. Whelp.

No Caption Provided

I'll be interested in hearing what they'll say about this at their NY ComicCon panel.

I, hum, what?

Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nickelodeon really mishandled the advertising for Korra. However, Korra was originally supposed to be a one season show, yet Nick picked it up for three more seasons (all at once). The creators never intended to go further than that. Season 4 was intended to be the final season. They've been given the chance to give the entire universe a proper ending and I'm pretty grateful, considering most shows don't get that chance. All in all, it's actually a pretty cool move from Nickelodeon to air the final season immediately instead of making us wait until they had the proper time slot so they could capitalize on ratings.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@octaslash: Pretty sure, when all is said and done they released it now because they can ride the wave of interest before it cools down I think.
I might be overestimating it.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope this isn't the end of the avatar universe. Book 4 has been set as the end for Korra for a while now, but the with Nick's apparent dissatisfaction in the show's performance (compounded by their terrible handling of it) I fear the hope for a third series is very slim.

I love The Last Airbender, and despite some of the missteps I really like The Legend of Korra as well. I don't want this amazing fictional universe to end here, but I don't see any way another series gets greenlit now. Hell, maybe the upcoming game will do well and the universe can continue in the form of a new game series, but I doubt that too.

I think the biggest problem is that these shows are so unlike anything else Nick does and they have shown they have no idea what to with a show that has an audience that is, generally speaking, much older than any of their other programming. It's a shame Nickelodeon owns the property outright, because I could really see it succeeding somewhere more fitting for its tone and audience (likely a streaming service).

smileyse19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

korra is the worst ever I don't know why people are defending her like shes a real person like they have meet her and know her personally, these are fucking characters in a cartoon people kmfuckingt and this cartoon is shit its was all good in season one but then they have killed its who gives a dam about how many times shes nearly died that's her job as avatar like im sorry im on season 4 now like wtf she still don't know how to use every element its fucking joke it actually make me angry that people could even compare korra to Aang he wasn't even a master at all elements and he use them better earth was his hardest and he even use that better than her he could put the rock all on his body like a suit and put him self in a ball like the way he used the elements was like art but korra its all messyat first I fort she was alright but then she got no better at all like I don't even wana start on avatar state, like thats another wtf Aang most of the time didn't even mean to go in avatar state he got angry and then he accidently went in to the avatar state like he only realy uses it in the end and even then it was a accident but he was bad in it we all know when we first see that our eyes was popping out of our head but korra now shes spoke to what makes her avatar and she still don't know how to use it like when shes in it its like she still struggling or don't know what shes doing she should be untouchable or whats the fucking point in having a avatar might aswell call the show team bender coz she always needs a team to save her and don't talk shit about Aang needed his friend no he never needed them to beat the fire lord u don't see them even fight the fire lord at all like he dose that shit all on his own. The most thing hate about korra is that she don't know how to fight there is not enough of avatar skills she goes on like a normal bender she is basic and in every fight ive been disappointed by something the only thing I will stand up for this show is that they connected it well with Aangs story and they didn't make a whole new avatar story other than that the cartoon is shit and I don't think it will ever beat THE LAST AIRBENDER NEVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stephhii7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't hate TLOK but I also don't love it. After ATLA finished I only hoped they would either continue it when Aang and everyone were older or come out with an even more bad ass continuation series. When I found out about Korra I got so excited just to be able to see a little more of the Bending world.
Now that I am on S04E08, I think I can honestly say that Korra sucks as an Avatar. She disappoints me at every turn.
Although the secondary characters have grown on me over the last 4 seasons, they truly do not compare to ATLA's secondary characters.
Another thing for me is I just don't feel like the humor is there in Korra. I don't find her funny at all. There are funny moments in the show but Korra really doesn't pose any humor at all.
Perhaps I have been spoiled by previous heroin type characters. What made Aang a great main character was the fact that he was honest, calm and always collected. Although some people don't like that trait in a main character, I absolutely love it.
Korra is extremely hard headed and ignorant. She is rude and disrespectful to everyone around her. Rash thinking and angry outbursts the second someone says something to guide/help her. Even in this 4th season, she lashes out at her friends during dinner.
I feel like there will be no hope for a renewal of this series after Korra is over. Due to the fact she was just so off putting. Maybe they were trying to go for a strong female lead but really Korra just comes off as a stuck up bitch to me.

Passingthrough

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TLOK is terrible flat out. Everything about it is bad. With the Wan "Beginnings" episodes being maybe the worst part. Man here's hoping this garbage just gets washed away & forgotten with time like the Star Wars prequels. On the bright side ATLA is still great, even better than you might remember actually.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

5 years later and y’all still be crazy. Korra was a great show.

Damenco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very interesting animation GIF. What is it?