Mechanical Keyboard For Office Environment

zaprowsdower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm looking for a keyboard I can use at my new job. My budget is ~$100 and I would like a mechanical keyboard that will be used exclusively for typing and not gaming. Unfortunately, most mechanical keyboards I can find have all sorts of gaming modes and Christmas tree lights, but I'm looking for something that is much more toned down and appropriate for an office environment. Subtle, white back lighting is OK, but I would rather not spend the money on lights that I don't need. I'd prefer no clicky switches so I don't drive my coworkers crazy with noise, but other than that I'm not picky about switches (even non-Cherry switches are fine if you can vouch for them). Does anyone have any suggestions?

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By musclerider

@musclerider: This keyboard is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. What do you think of the Romer-G switches? Have you used any other type of switch that you can compare them to?

I came to Romer-Gs from Cherry MX browns (and blues before that) and I think they're pretty similar in feel. I've had some people tell me they feel kind of weird because you don't have to press them as far down for them to actuate so they might not be great if you're bottoming them out all the time. I use a G810 at home which has the same switches and I bought this keyboard for work specifically because I liked them so much.

I also work in an open office settings and I've never heard anyone complain about any noise coming from that thing.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Wouldn't most mechanical keyboards be kind of clicky by default? You may want to look for something that is specifically advertised as being "quiet" as I know they make those, but most of the higher-end models are definitely going to be loud by default. I dig my DAS keyboard but I don't know if they make any quiet models.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I've been using the CM Quickfire Rapid for a few years now and it's served me pretty well. I'm fairly certain there are other, better options out there to be found in the dark corners of Massdrop but for me it does what I need it to do. It's a pretty clean design too, no lights except for the 3 locks, no unnecessary macro keys, just really comfortable to use all told. I think there's a new revision out now under the name CM Masterkeys so while I can't speak to that specifically I'll say the predecessor is pretty great and don't see why the new one wouldn't be too.

zaprowsdower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Yeah you're right, there's always some noise with mechanical switches. By "clicky" I meant Cherry MX Blues, or some other off-brand equivalent (e.g. Razer Green switch).

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@zaprowsdower: Try a Ducky. They mostly come with ridiculous backlight options but you can always turn them off, and there are versions of the Ducky One 2 with no backlights at all. If you're worried about noise just avoid tactile/clicky switches like Blues and Browns. I use a Ducky Shine 3 with linear Cherry MX Red switches at work (lighter than the linear Blacks) and I haven't received any noise complaints. It will of course still be louder than a rubber dome keyboard but maybe check with your desk neighbours before buying?

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

WASD keyboards are excellent for unassuming "office" keyboards. They are built like a tank and don't have any of the GAMER!!!! RGB stuff, however they do make the Code series as well which is backlit via white LEDs if you want/need a backlit keyboard that would fit in at an office and still look professional. As for switches WASD has everything CherryMX has ever made, even the uncommon switches. For office use, I recommend either Red or Brown switches, with or without the O-ring kits. These switches will give you a mechanical feel but without a lot of the clicky mechanical sound, especially if you use the O-rings under the keycaps like I do. WASD also does custom keycaps so if you want specific colors or letters on the caps they can do that for an up charge.

Farkas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been eyeing the Cooler Master S Masterkeys as a possible choice. It's under $100 without any lighting and it's about as nondescript as you could ask for.

hach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use a DAS 4 Ultimate with browns at work, it's not very loud at all, at least nobody has complained yet. It's a great keyboard as well but a little pricey, that said any keyboard with browns should be fine for a workplace. I use blues at home and the browns aren't quite as nice to type on imo but still a lot nicer than a regular keyboard.

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I use a Logitech K840 at my office and it's awesome. No lights and a generally conservative look but still has that great mechanical feel.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@rorie said:

Wouldn't most mechanical keyboards be kind of clicky by default? You may want to look for something that is specifically advertised as being "quiet" as I know they make those, but most of the higher-end models are definitely going to be loud by default. I dig my DAS keyboard but I don't know if they make any quiet models.

I went researching for a new keyboard for myself this week and noticed that the Cherry browns are the least clicky of the mechancis keys, thinking about getting the Ducky Shine 6 at some point.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some cherry red's are always nice they don't make a annoying clicking sound. and it's more bearable for you colleagues.

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The guy who sits next to me at work hammers his keyboard and it makes me want to cave his head in.

Refrain from being that person.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Don’t do this to your coworkers, don’t use a mechanical keyboard at work.

Avatar image for deactivated-6357e03f55494
deactivated-6357e03f55494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I Use my old Corsair K70(Cherry Reds). Can turn off the LEDs, and it's not really any louder than the ones we get at our workstations but feels better for sure.

People say Reds(arguably the most common switch) are clicky but as long as you're not hammering them, they can be almost silent. The sound you hear isn't them clicking, it's the keycap bottoming out. So the lighter you type the less noise it makes.

You can get the k65 for relatively cheap.

zaprowsdower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@musclerider: This keyboard is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. What do you think of the Romer-G switches? Have you used any other type of switch that you can compare them to?

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

IBM Model M keyboard.

Anyone in their late 30's on up will probably have fond memories of one. Instant ice breaker when someone visits your office.