Midnight Brown's Kiss One More Time cover is too damn catchy

Sor_Eddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

http://blog.jeffgerstmann.net/post/71186137453/most-midnight-brown-songs-of-this-era-were

I've had this on repeat for a few times now, I think I actually like it more than the original song. I would totally buy a whole album of Jeff singing J-pop songs, and I don't even really like J-pop.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I agree. It's far too catchy.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah. That's pretty much the worst fucking thing I have ever listened to.

Sor_Eddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Sor_Eddie

Was it really though?

Also you must have not listened to a lot of things then. Try Metal Machine Music sometime.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By alwaysbebombing

Being 100% honest. I really like the song.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Thanks, but this just ain't for me.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man. This is giving me some nostalgic flashbacks to Halo 3. I was listening to a lot of Midnight Brown those days.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

...it's so uncannily accurate in its phoneticism that "Wish you were here... Angel" sounds like "Wish you were here... in jail" in his version too!

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

@sor_eddie said:

@man_flannel said:

Was it really though?

Also you must have not listened to a lot of things then. Try Metal Machine Music sometime.

Yeah totally bro. I "must have not listened to a lot of things" if I don't like some shitty cover Jeff did of a J-pop song. Jeff is a horrible singer. So bad it's laughable. That was some William Hung "she bang she bang" level awfulness.

Sor_Eddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sor_Eddie

@sor_eddie said:

@man_flannel said:

Was it really though?

Yeah totally bro. I "must have not listened to a lot of things" if I don't like some shitty cover Jeff did of a J-pop song. Jeff is a horrible singer. So bad it's laughable. That was some William Hung "she bang she bang" level awfulness.

No, I'm saying you must not have listened to much music if this totally listenable song is "the worst fucking thing you've ever listened to". Do you even know what Metal Machine Music is? It's 3 hours of Lou Reed putting his guitar against an amp and recording the endless feedback loops.

roboculus92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By roboculus92

I approve of this.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@man_flannel said:

@sor_eddie said:

@man_flannel said:

Was it really though?

No, I'm saying you must not have listened to much music if this totally listenable song is "the worst fucking thing you've ever listened to". Do you even know what Metal Machine Music is? It's 3 hours of Lou Reed putting his guitar against an amp and recording the endless feedback loops.

Well, I'm sure somebody would consider the sound of explosive diarrhea music. But as far as something a sane human being would listen to? I haven't heard much worse. But hey, if you liked that, maybe you like this.

Loading Video...

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No thanks...

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I like it. :P

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it just me or does his voice sound a little bit like the lead singer of the Bloodhound Gang's voice in the video?

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

@sor_eddie said:

@man_flannel said:

Was it really though?

It may not be great but it's if it's the worst thing you've ever heard then you can't have seeked out anything outside your comfort zone. If you download something like the SXSW torrents each year you'll end up with close to 2000 songs by 2000 different acts from any genre. When you're looking for new music in that type of quantity 10% is gonna be great stuff you've never heard before and 5% is going to be absolute trash that is 1000 times worse than Midnight Brown. Probably another 15% will be in genres you don't like and another 2% is a bad recording. I'm OK with listening to a few seconds of some terrible music because in the end I'll have found 200 new acts worth hearing more of.

Personally I really like about half of Midnight Brown's stuff and really dislike the other half. I do like all I've heard of from Headboard and Suburban All Stars though.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

That was kind of super jarring to hear, but I kind of liked it. Jeff Gerstmann is one cool motherfucker in my book.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dream of one day being half as interesting as Jeff is.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Justin258

You just have no heart.

...OK, I'm kidding. It's not great, but the image of Jeff Gerstmann singing a girl's pop song (in fucking Japanese, no less!) is just funny enough for me to get over any problems I might have with the music.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

This is the sort of song I'd expect to hear in a really weird dream.

myniceicelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Actually had to go to youtube to hear the original versio cause for all these years I've only known Jeff's version haha

Sharpless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It's great. Jeff Gerstmann single-handedly got me into j-pop. Now I hate Jeff Gerstmann.

Sor_Eddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Sor_Eddie

It's great. Jeff Gerstmann single-handedly got me into j-pop. Now I hate Jeff Gerstmann.

Same. Ever since he posted that, I've been going down a dark path that includes listening to stuff like Charisma.com