Mindless rambling about reason

Rianor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Rianor

Humans are essentially normal animals, but we have this thing that sets us apart called reason. Reason is a tool used by the brain. The brain is a powerful being when it uses this reason. It can understand so many things. Unfortunately, the brain has this funny idea that it knows everything, which is obviously not true. When the brain sees something that it DOESN'T understand with reason, it sometimes creates an excuse for not understanding it. Some people call this excuse Faith.

The question here is, what if this thing that the brain sees really is supernatural? What if there are things in this universe that the brain cannot ever hope to comprehend? Would those things be something we can have faith in? Or should we go with the safe route and knowingly scrap faith in it's entirety?

Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Mrnitropb

Reason is the part of our brain that tells us to not hump the couch when company is over.

HitNRun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By HitNRun
Rianor said:
"Humans are essentially normal animals, but we have this thing that sets us apart called reason. Reason is a tool used by the brain. The brain is a powerful being when it uses this reason. It can understand so many things. Unfortunately, the brain has this funny idea that it knows everything, which is obviously not true. When the brain sees something that it DOESN'T understand with reason, it sometimes creates an excuse for not understanding it. Some people call this excuse Faith.
That's a pretty quick slide in one paragraph from verifiable fact to postmodern philosophy.

As to your question, I take the following point of view: are you going to live forever? If you are, it's important to figure out exactly how you're going to approach such questions. If you're not, you should probably set up some shortcuts, decide what you believe, what you don't believe, and what you want to believe, so you can make a little headway in the time that you've been given.

Shocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Shocker
Mrnitropb said:
"Reason is the part of our brain that tells us to not hump the couch when company is over.

"
hahaha
efrucht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5  Edited By efrucht

What appears to be magic or supernatural may in fact be wholly comprehensible. Look at childbirth. Once thought to be a miracle, we now understand how it works and the awesome forces that make it possible (not that that makes it any less amazing). Never have 100% faith that something is beyond your understanding, because if you search for the truth you may find it.

elbow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By elbow

I don't believe the right word to use is reason, rather the right word should be cognitive thinking. I've never taken psychology before, but I did take a religion course were this one priest tried effortlessly to convince the class that humans did not evolve from animals, and that were in fact not animals. Although I didn't agree with what he said, he did bring up the idea that it's our ability to employ cognition that seperates us from monkeys.

As for your question, you haven't made a clear definition between what we cannot understand and what simply cannot grasp, which I think are two different things. Take a look at monotheistic religion like Christianity, or a common subdenomination, Roman Catholicism. They understand what the Holy Trinity is, yet they simply cannot grasp it, they know the meaning, they understand how it works, but simply due to the divine nature of it, cannot fully come to grip with what it truly means. That is were you could, or should draw the line between rational thinking and faith.

Rianor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Rianor
elbow said:
"I don't believe the right word to use is reason, rather the right word should be cognitive thinking. I've never taken psychology before, but I did take a religion course were this one priest tried effortlessly to convince the class that humans did not evolve from animals, and that were in fact not animals. Although I didn't agree with what he said, he did bring up the idea that it's our ability to employ cognition that seperates us from monkeys.

As for your question, you haven't made a clear definition between what we cannot understand and what simply cannot grasp, which I think are two different things. Take a look at monotheistic religion like Christianity, or a common subdenomination, Roman Catholicism. They understand what the Holy Trinity is, yet they simply cannot grasp it, they know the meaning, they understand how it works, but simply due to the divine nature of it, cannot fully come to grip with what it truly means. That is were you could, or should draw the line between rational thinking and faith."
I've never thought about calling it cognitive thinking, you do have a point there, with your statement about employing cognition is part of the very small difference between monkey's and humans.

I think having faith in something and believing in something can be one in the same. For example, take an apple for example,  Everyone's heard the stories about apples having worms inside of them, well whenever you chomp into an apple, you have have faith that there is not a worm in there, based on the stories or idea's that you have learned about worms being in apples. In the same vein you also believe that there are no worms in the apple as you chomp in the apple.  So i think there is a fine line that separates having faith in something and believing in something. I think it just depends on the situation and variables at the current situation.

Clean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Clean

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By diz

Do you not think many animals can reason?

I think you have mis-interpreted faith. Faith, (to me at least) is a strong belief unsupported by any scientific proof. Having faith is akin to having knowledge. In the scientific framework, knowledge is arrived at though rational deduction and  from first principles; it uses peer review and criticism and is bound by the relativistic scientific notion of knowledge. Faith based thinking needs none of these balances, so consequently there are many faiths.

Before I chomp in to an apple picked from a tree, I inspect it for small holes. If there is one, experience tells me there is likely to be a maggot in it. If there are no holes in the apple, I can assume there is no maggot in the apple. Your beliefs can be guided by your experience, so perhaps you should start checking your apples for holes.