Moving to Australia

Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Edited By Time_Lord

So I am moving to from New Zealand to Australia in December for work which is the biggest move I have ever done. And it got me thinking what is the biggest move you have done and why did you do it?

Also if there are any giant bombers living in Queensland and would like to show me around that would be awesome I will be living with me aunt who is 60+ so that's no fun.

Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Time_Lord

So I am moving to from New Zealand to Australia in December for work which is the biggest move I have ever done. And it got me thinking what is the biggest move you have done and why did you do it?

Also if there are any giant bombers living in Queensland and would like to show me around that would be awesome I will be living with me aunt who is 60+ so that's no fun.

LD50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By LD50

My mother worked for various airlines and hotel corp. as a business analyst, so we were constantly moving from state to state. The thing that really stuck with me was music. It was always something consistent no matter where we went. Good luck on the move duder.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Contrarian

Sorry man, I am at the other end of the country, Tasmania, so I am of no use to you. Welcome to the big island when you get here. You are just a brother who is moving in, so we automatically like you, even of you do speak funny (not much different than local Queenslanders of you ask me).

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Welcome to Aus, mate.

I'm in Sydney unfortunately, but my experience is that QLD is pretty awesome and it's easy to meet people, you'll make plenty of friends.

Where abouts are you living? Brisbane? Gold Coast? Or elsewhere?

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Devil240Z

Ive never moved once in my life. not even to a different house. I'm getting my own apartment next month. it feels like I'm moving to china. But its actually down the street.

Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Time_Lord

@Tim_the_Corsair:

Alexandria hills about 45 mins from the city which is were i will be working.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By tim_the_corsair
@Time_Lord

@Tim_the_Corsair:

Alexandria hills about 45 mins from the city which is were i will be working.

Hah, one of my good mates grew up there!

He moved to Melbourne recently, but I'll ask him to suggest any good spots and I'll post them here.
Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By Humanity

Excuse my American ignorance but is Australia and New Zealand VASTLY different or is it kinda similar. I've heard people from NZ claim they have the better accent.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By mrfizzy

@Time_Lord said:

I'm currently living in the Illawarra (south of Sydney) and my biggest move was moving here from my home in Melbourne.

Also welcome to Australia!

L44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By L44

Glad to see this post bringing out some of the Australians on Giant Bomb.

@Humanity: NZ is usually a bit colder, unless you live where I do where its a nice and toasty 6 degrees.

also, Richie McCaw is a cheat.

KaptainA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KaptainA

I live in Brisbane although my working hours are a bit crazy. I can tell you some of the cool places to go at least even if I cannot physically show you around. Where in QLD are you moving to?

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By korwin

@Time_Lord said:

As QLD is you know... the size of the country your'e in now, showing you around may be difficult :D

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Genkkaku

I've moved between Queensland and Victoria a few times now.. I'm on the Gold Coast at the moment

Also: Welcome!

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Fallen189

It's possible I will be moving from the UK to South Korea in the next year or so. So that'll be exciting!

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Nick

I'm moving from Vancouver Canada to Buenos Aires Argentina on Thursday, and I'm doing it because of a girl.

Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Time_Lord

@Korwin:

@UnrelatedInfo:

Alexandria hills is where i will be living the size of Aus is a bit daunting but for my first vacation I will be doing a massive road trip

@Humanity: similar in terms culture but Australia is just so much bugger than NZ and standard of living is a lot higher due to better paying work which is why i am going

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By EVO

If the airport is anything to go by, Brisbane is full of fat bogans.

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Masha2932

@mrfizzy: Hey! Awesome! I live in the Illawarra as well.

TheFridgeGC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheFridgeGC

Welcome to Australia and as I live on the Gold Coast I might not be able to "Show you around" but I can say with confidence that there are some absolutely amazing places around Brisbane and the Gold Coast to explore. Also some dodgy ones, but hey, everyone has those.

Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Time_Lord

@TheFridge:

2 years ago the flat i lived was next door to a couple of drug dealers so i'm okay with dodgy lol

Grimace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Grimace

If you like Rugby Union you'll get on quite well with the locals. Don't drink XXXX Lager - one of the worst beers on the entire continent.

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By konig_kei

@EVO said:

Dude, Canberra. I've never seen so many obese people in one place before.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By selbie

@Humanity said:

Excuse my American ignorance but is Australia and New Zealand VASTLY different or is it kinda similar. I've heard people from NZ claim they have the better accent.

Think U.S.A vs. Canada

@Time_Lord said:

Australia is just so much bugger than NZ

Shit mate, you almost sound like a local already XD

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By EVO

@konig_kei said:

@EVO said:

Dude, Canberra. I've never seen so many obese people in one place before.

But were they bogans?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#25  Edited By Humanity

@selbie: so is he moving to Canada or US in this situation!

KaptainA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By KaptainA

Oh wow. I was born in Alexandria hills. Don't live in that part of Brisbane any more and its aaages away from where I live. Massive road trips are pretty awesome in Australia, but depending on where you want to go (If you are doing the touristy/backpacker thing for your holiday). It may be financially more feasible to use domestic airlines such as Jetstar to travel around a bit. Petrol is pretty expensive and Australia is a huge country.

I have relatives living in outback QLD and it would take $300-$400 in petrol alone to drive there... or $67-$90 to fly to a nearby town and rent a car / hitch out there (not that I would recommend doing that either). What places in Australia would you like to visit on your holiday?

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By mrfizzy

@Masha2932 said:

@mrfizzy: Hey! Awesome! I live in the Illawarra as well.

Cool, where are you? I'm going to uni in Wollongong.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By selbie

@Humanity: Based on media stereotypes I've seen about North America, he's moving to the US :P

rpgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By rpgee

Welcome to the country, good sir, many compliments to your own. I can't recommend many places in Queensland, being a Melbourne person, but I can say that you'll at least won't have Melbourne weather, which a) you can't predict, and b) is mostly shit. That's harsh, but mostly true. Queensland is pretty good, I hear.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By korolev

I live in Brisbane, but I can't show you around because I am very busy. Never been to Alexandria hills - I live about 50 mins from the city myself.

Here are somethings I know about brisbane, having lived here for 22 of my 25 years.

1) Crime rate is generally low, so you don't have to worry too much about that

2) Public Transport is far more reliable than it was, but it's also INCREDIBLY expensive. Only Oslo and London have more expensive public transport than Brisbane.

3) If you have allergies you'll be in for a tough time - it's allergy central, there's so much pollen and dust and it's awful

4) If you're buying video games, DON'T buy from EB - by from JB Hi-Fi, because they're virtually always 10 dollars cheaper and the staff are actually nice.

5) Southbank - which is the cultural and festival area next to the city, is very nice and you should visit there.

6) We've had a lot of rain for the last two or so years, and that doesn't look set to go away, so don't be surprised if it rains a lot.

7) If you go to the Gold Coast, be aware that the Cops on the Gold Coast are Corrupt and there is a lot of Organized Crime. It still should be safe, but just so you know.

8) When you get a chance, visit the Glass House Mountains.

9) The Art Gallery next to the Cultural Centre is pretty good. The regular museum, not so good

10) If you like Asian Food, go to Sunnybank, about 35 minutes from the city and 10 minutes from where I live. It's basically the real Chinatown of Queensland - the original China Town in the CBD is pretty much dead and has been taken over by regular bars. Sunnybank is pretty good.

Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Time_Lord

@RPGee: I am form wellington in NZ I swear it rains 5 out of 7 days for the few months lol