Music Industry having its own Double Fine on Kickstarter.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Akyho

Amanda Fucking Palmer (She gave her own middle name) turned to Kickstarter at the start of the month, and in a day she had already met her $100,000 target to self fund her own new record, art book and tour. Currently it is $673,000. Amanda Palmer has been signed to a record label first as one half of the band The Dresden Dolls, Secondly as herself soloing, she also plays one half of the Siamese twins Evelyn and Evelyn.She is married to the Author Neil Geiman.

When signed to a record label, she saw almost no money from CD sales and anything else. Instead had to earn money from tours and merchandise that had nothing to do with the record label meaning it had to be self funded in order to see a profit in most cases. Apparently this is common for most music artists.

When we all knew the power of Kickstarter from Double fine's pledge for an adventure game, Amanda was talking about the uses of Kickstarter for music.

And while the amount stands at $673,000 with 16 days to go. It pales vs DF's $3.3million. To more mainstream avenues and music lovers this is big news.

Here is the offical Kickstarter page with pledges still accepted.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/amandapalmer/amanda-palmer-the-new-record-art-book-and-tour

The Rewards vary from $1 to Digitally download the entire album one step away from Radioheads "Pay what you want" move. Upwards for fans and people that like physical things opting in with $25 to get a limited edition CD, further up the album on 7" Vinyl, and art book and higher you go. You can have Amanda Palmer come to your house and have a house party. Further up for $10,000 have dinner with Amanda and Neil (of which someone has opted for ) or get the entire band with Amanda invade your house.

Here is the video featured on the Kickstarter page asking for pledges.

Further coverage was on the Rachel Maddow show.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/ns/msnbc_tv-rachel_maddow_show/#47331553

I have been a fan of Amanda Palmer's work since she was in the Dresden Dolls. So I instantly pledged once I could so once this is all finished, a shiny new CD will be shipped to me. Kickstarter is gaining speed in many other areas, lets hope it dosnt crash. This just means those bands you love that don't get big coverage, might have a home on Kickstarter.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Sadly, I've never heard of her, but I could not possibly be more happy for her. Artists are practically slaves to their record labels and with so many independent artists out there gathering millions of fans on Youtube alone, it's hard for me to accept the idea you need to be signed to a label to 'make it big.' So, once again, good for her. The more people that separate themselves from labels, the better. I'd hate to end up with yet another Lupe Fiasco L.A.S.E.R.S. situation where the artist really wants to do something, but their album is in fucking limbo thanks to people in suits dictating what they should and should not make.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Akyho

@BabyChooChoo said:

Sadly, I've never heard of her, but I could not possibly be more happy for her. Artists are practically slaves to their record labels and with so many independent artists out there gathering millions of fans on Youtube alone, it's hard for me to accept the idea you need to be signed to a label to 'make it big.' So, once again, good for her. The more people that separate themselves from labels, the better. I'd hate to end up with yet another Lupe Fiasco L.A.S.E.R.S. situation where the artist really wants to do something, but their album is in fucking limbo thanks to people in suits dictating what they should and should not make.

Indeed, another female artist I listen too Tori Amos. When she was noticed a record label signed her up for 6 albums. Sounded great...except..she would need to give her songs over for appraisal and then be told "No that's not what we are looking for. Make it more like...like...well Madonna." She was stuck with a 6 album contract which when suits are dictating her own creations. It was very very slow progress to get the albums out. One the 7 were up she was out of there and tries to maintain as much independence as possible.

It's a mine field. Add in the horrors of maby ending up on the "Casting Couch" and other pitfalls. Its a wonder how it all works out.

@BraveToaster said:

A lot of artists have to make most of their money through tours and merchandise.

True, however is you are not promoted well enough then you dont get the tours or the people to buy your merchandise. With record companies not only giving little to artists they are in charge on how they feel they treat you. You may be a Z list to D list you are powerless and at their mercy. The horrors that can happen is ontop of poor promotion. The company can drop you...except your both signed into a certain amount of time or albums. Thusly they don't promote you only to waste your time and efforts for years even. Instead of letting you search for another label.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Akyho

@rebgav said:

And a lot of record labels have started taking a bite out of those revenues too, because holding the keys to the pressing plant is so completely fucking irrelevant these days. Better a kickstarter project than a 360 deal.

You know what the companies would say in their defense, "Its Piracy's fault!"

DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By DeathByWaffle

I don't know her, but she's married to Neil Gaiman, so I automatically have to like her.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Akyho

@DeathByWaffle said:

I don't know her, but she's married to Neil Gaiman, so I automatically have to like her.

Well you'd love that fact they are inseparable. Here is Neil singing! Its a realy great song.

His wife Amanda singing a song written by Neil. Called "I Google you."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5ErKq4o4sQ

Amanda and Neil being interviewed in Getting wet with Sara Benincasa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGTh1JC5sbM

Song with Neil supplying sock puppet horses!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhAFFikmdkI

neozeke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By neozeke

@BraveToaster: I wish that was still true, musicians are being completely gutted nowadays.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By zeforgotten

Come back when she's over 3 million. Then we can talk about it being some sort of "Double Fine for music". 

Nah, it's good to hear that she reached her goal so fast. 

Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Jenny Owen Youngs did a kickstarter for An Unwavering Band of Light two years ago. Is music kickstart new or something, or is it about the amount of money she made?

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NegativeCero

Never heard of her, but I'll be sure to check her out.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Never heard of her before, and those fucking eyebrows are preventing me from watching the videos.

I'm sure she's a very nice person, but... ugh.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By selbie

Oh HER! I keep seeing her on TV here in Australia, but never know her name. It was only recently I realised she was the partner of Neil Gaiman. Now that I know she was with the Dresden Dolls I think I'll remember this time :P

She's a good performer.

Edit: Found a vid

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By sungahymn

Okay.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Sambambo

Urgh, she is weird for the sake of being weird.

Want to know why she has made no money? Cause she makes shit music that no one wants to hear.

CoinMatze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By CoinMatze

How do so many of you guys not know the Dresden Dolls?! Also: pledgemusic.com.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Akrid

Amanda Palmer is definitely the Double Fine of the music scene, with her rabbid fans. I'm very happy for her!

Maybe musicians can start to make money again!

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Akyho

@ZeForgotten said:

Come back when she's over 3 million. Then we can talk about it being some sort of "Double Fine for music". Nah, it's good to hear that she reached her goal so fast.

True. However when it comes to the money, as Double fine has made it more public, $100,000 is enough for a little indie game scope with them, while $1,5mil is enough to make games like they have in the past, Stacked which was a Downloadable and relying on people to buy in on the whackyness came in that price bracket. With their $3,3mill they can take a little longer and make it bigger with more details and time. However it wont be anything mind bendingly special, this just means they can make something on par with their older games with the same attention of their modern games.

$3,3mill is small in the games world. You need to be Lady gaga and such to be considered for a million for your entire promotion and distribution. So for an indie muscian and with people tastes as they are, it just shows that fans want stuff and its the record companies that go "Nah we don't think anyone will want it, not even for $600,000, we are not doing it.".

Its very much in the hands of the Record company on exposing you to garner demand.

@MarkWahlberg said:

Never heard of her before, and those fucking eyebrows are preventing me from watching the videos.

I'm sure she's a very nice person, but... ugh.

She shaves them off and then uses Mascara to draw on what ever eye browns she wants that day. For the most part she likes Fleur lines.

@selbie said:

Oh HER! I keep seeing her on TV here in Australia, but never know her name. It was only recently I realised she was the partner of Neil Gaiman. Now that I know she was with the Dresden Dolls I think I'll remember this time :P

She's a good performer.

Edit: Found a vid

She is an American, however for the last year or so she has been enjoying staying in Australia. OH! she is on a panel show! In Britain alot of people mostly comedians enjoy skimming around panel shows. So that's nice to see her there.

A concept album she did a year ago was song she wrote while in Australia. One nice song is Map of Tasmania, Which is a comment on how women should treat their map of Tasmania.