My 2017 Film of the Year list (and Yours?)

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Edited By liquiddragon

As with every year, there are too many films to see and too many films I’ve missed. I haven’t had to chance to see many foreign films, arthouse films and there are a few domestic films coming limited around Christmas I doubt I’ll get to see until next year. I’m a big Paul Thomas Anderson fan so I imagine The Phantom Thread would be somewhere in this list if I had seen it. Critical darlings like Call Me by Your Name I’ll have to see what the fuss is about later and the list goes on and on.

Anyway, here are 25 from 2017 I liked to highlight (U.S. releases). The order is just for fun.

#25. Personal Shopper

No Caption Provided

Personal Shopper is a hard movie to pin down. It’s part ghost story, part mystery, and part drama about a personal shopper (Kristen Stewart), a girl who’s near fame and fortune by proximity through her work as a glorified deliverer. There is something about Kristen Stewart that makes me think she’ll turn in an undeniable performance down the line but for now, she’s interesting to watch but too cool for her own good as an actor. The movie itself, while decent to look at, is ugly in structure. It’s the type of movie that seems to be searching for its path like the protagonist, which gives it, on the one hand, an organic feel but on the other, a sense of aimlessly. It starts and stops, never finding a rhythm nor is it even interested in such things. So why is it in here? The simple answer: it has stuck with it. I don’t want to chalk it up to the novelty of a genre bender but the different elements do allow for things to happen in a single film you might otherwise see in 2-3 films, which at the very least paints an interesting and memorable world I want to be in longer and know more about.

#24. Coco

No Caption Provided

I didn’t know anything about Coco when I saw the movie. I haven’t been that hot on CG animation movies for a couple years and kinda let most of it pass me by so I went in to the latest Pixar flick blind and came out pleasantly surprised. it’s a timely film with Trump’s relationship with Mexicans . Not only is a political statement but a beautiful movie about traditions as immigrants in this country. All around it’s a feel good movie with a ton of catchy songs and a tearjerker of an ending that’ll keep you entertained and leave you with a slightly wet face.

#23. Raw (WARNING: MAJOR BODY HORROR)

No Caption Provided

This is the only movie on the list I feel obligated to warn people up front because of one of its themes and the depiction of it. If you can’t handle graphic images of body horror, stay away ‘cause this movie is gross. If you’re okay or even into that sort of stuff, you’ll not only get plenty of that but also discover just underneath all that flesh and blood, a sometimes funny, and surprisingly touching relationship story between siblings.

#22. City of Ghosts

No Caption Provided

I know there have been a number of documentaries on Syria recently, I haven't seen them except for this one. I do want to eventually watch more of them but for now, this is the honorary doc about Syria that'll represent of all them and highlight the situation over there. It's a revealing look at a place in the world, the lives and conditions of people there, and the extremists that took over a city. Some of the footage is as a graphic as Raw, if not more but absolutely appropriate and perhaps needed to give voice to ones who have little.

#21. The Killing of a Sacred Deer

No Caption Provided

I love Dogtooth and really like The Lobster so I was actually vaguely disappointed when I saw Yorgos Lanthimos's latest. The same stilted performances don't work as well here and doesn't provide the same kind of dark humor to The Killing of a Sacred Deer as it did the director's previous work. The premise is a lot harder to swallow this time and it feels like Yorgos is kinda on autopilot, doing his shtick. I know none of what I said is positive but at the end of the day, what a shtick it is. The movie is filled with situations and moments as a fan, I wanted, so in many ways, it delivers to expectation. It's just when it's all said it done, you wonder, to what end.

#20. Last Flag Flying

No Caption Provided

Richard Linklater is pretty much the opposite of Yorgos Lanthimos and so are their individual films this year. Where Sacred Deer provides so many powerful scenes seemingly without purpose, Last Flag Flying is all about the grounded small moments of real life that gives it meaning. Where the directors and their films align is in my expectation as a viewer. If you've watched Linklater's work, you know what you're going to get here, which is not at all a bad thing.

#19. The Salesman

No Caption Provided

Asghar Farhadi delivers another super solid film. What's great about it is that nothing feels played up, in fact, we're so trained as film goers that, some of it actually seems played down. It's a human story full of compassion and nuance that comes out of a country so often demonized in the Western world. Also, it's just nice to see a film from Iran sometimes 'cause I just have so little knowledge about the country and the culture there. I'm constantly surprised by how modern everything is which goes to show my general ignorance. lol

#18. Lady Macbeth

No Caption Provided

I didn't know Florence Pugh but I do now. Lady Macbeth is one of those movies that showcases an actor's talent and (hopefully) allows her opportunities she clearly deserves. The movie is pretty singular in its vision and by no means perfect but Pugh's performance is magnetic and hard to resist.

#17. I Don’t Feel at Home in this World Anymore

No Caption Provided

The biggest surprise of the year for me is this little movie about vigilantes and odd friendships. I didn't know anything about it and the long title kinda turned me off of it but I decided to check it out and I'm glad I did. I Don't Feel at Home is fun, funny, often touching, and good spirited but it's also surprising in other ways, ways that might be familiar if you know what other films the director helped produce. It's just an all around fun time that I wouldn't be shocked if it picks up more and more fans as people discover it.

#16. Logan Lucky

No Caption Provided

Speaking of fun time, here is another fun movie, this time from Steven Soderbergh. You've seen a lot serious movies on this list already and you're going to see a lot more but sometimes I wonder why I watch stuff that are so heavy. Logan Lucky is just good entertainment with a great cast and all kinds of great dialogue. That's not to say it doesn't have weight, it's just easy to recommend to most people. Daniel Craig especially, seems to be enjoying himself so much out of the tux, no wonder it was so hard to convince him to get back in the Aston Martin.

#15. The Big Sick

No Caption Provided

As an immigrant, The Big Sick is a big deal. Aziz kinda did it for TV with Master of None but they say movies live forever and Kumail Nanjiani is representing minorities hard by telling a story based on his own story with all the baggage of living in a world as a foreigner. Even without all that political and social mumble jumble, The Big Sick is a strong movie that nails the dramedy genre that rarely feels forced emotionally and masterfully delivers laughs and tears through honest moments.

#14. Get Out

No Caption Provided

As someone not black or white, Get Out as a social commentary doesn’t work for me. Nevertheless, the movie does work me as just a genre film for the most part and it’s generally a entertaining ride. I’m impressed Jordan Peele not only stepped out of comedy but transitioned from TV to film so successfully. The picture is of full of memorable scenes and stunning performances by black actors. There are genuine moments of brilliance, new and inspired. I didn’t connect with Get Out like some people did but it can’t be denied its day in the sun.

#13. Lady Bird

No Caption Provided

Greta Gerwig did a great job in her “directorial debut”. On the surface, there is nothing new about Lady Bird’s story but Gerwig reexamines and reimagines the coming of age tale and the result are scenes and relationships more real and realistic. At the center is Saoirse Ronan, who seems to always turn in a good performance but especially as the titular role of Lady Bird. She also has a great dancing partner in Laurie Metcalf and actually, many other actors who have smaller roles all do a fine job.

#12. Blade Runner 2049

No Caption Provided

There is a lot that I couldn’t connect with when it comes to Blade Runner 2049’s plot. I question the decision to set up a sequel(s) in a risky big budget sequel to a movie that didn’t need a sequel. K’s story of self discovery is good but other elements bogged it down in this ambitious film. Characters like Niander Wallace (Jared Leto) and Liutenant Joshl (Robin Wright) felt cookie cutter and seems like squandered potential. When I think about 2049 however, I’m reminded of the things that really worked for me. It’s a stunning film to look at and hear. It has moments like the Baseline Test, the sex scene, the club shootout, and Sylvia Hoeks, my god Luv, what a performance. Despite not connecting with the way I wanted to, the images, sounds, and specific moments have remained in my mind.

#11. The Shape of Water

No Caption Provided

I had one of the worst movie-going experiences of my life when I saw The Shape of Water. In an empty theater, people sat right in front and behind me. The people in the front talked loud and used their cell phones throughout the entire film and one of the person behind me puts their feet up next to my face. It was a fucking nightmare considering I’ve been looking forward to this movie for a better part of a year. I was constantly distracted and taken out of del Toro’s latest because of a shitty circumstance. Anyway, I want to see it again hopefully with a better audience or no audience ‘cause the movie is really beautiful in so many aspects. Not quite Pan’s Labyrinth level but perhaps the movie he was always working toward.

#10. Faces Places

No Caption Provided

A movie I didn’t know much about but went to see on a whine and had one of the happiest times in the theater. The dynamic of the two directors, JR and Agnes Varda, as artists, as filmmakers, as people of different age and era provides so much humor, warmth, and sometime tension. Their travels together across rural France is a constant source of discovery and joy, of new stories from strangers. The way their art instantly allows them to bond with others feels magical.

#09. Jane

No Caption Provided

Another movie I didn’t know about before seeing it. I enjoyed the director's previous doc about Kurt Cobain but this is on a whole different level. I’m not much of an animal lover, not that I hate them, so these sorts of subjects don’t interest me nor did I know much about Jane Goodall. That said, Jane, the movie, is so easy to get into. The primatologist is so likable in her demeanor and admirable in her dedication. Seeing her at work in so many amazing footage is, 1, unbelievable how much they had to work with, 2, gorgeous, 3, kind of surreal.

#08. The Meyerowitz Stories

No Caption Provided

It’s unfortunate that the conversation around Noah Baumbach’s latest will be mostly overshadowed by Dustin Hoffman’s sexual harassment allegations. While The Meyerowitz Stories is a Baumbach ass Baumbach film, dealing with intellectuals of the upper middle class. their family lives and artistics pursuits, it is one my favorites I’ve seen of his. The dialogue flows as you’d expect but It’s also filled with likable characters and they struggle with universal problems, something Baumbach’s films might lack sometimes. A highlight is Adam Sandler who gives a really nice performance in a good movie, something we wouldn’t mind seeing more often.

#07. Good Time

No Caption Provided

Good Time isn’t a movie for everyone. The protagonist is dumb in a way that might push people away completely, as his stupidity takes the film is unexpected directions constantly. To enjoy it, you have to accept to take the ride. If you do, what you’ll be in for is something unlike anything this year. My favorite thing about Good Time was the heart pounding soundtrack, unreal.

#06. A Ghost Story

No Caption Provided

Speaking of movies that’s not for everyone, here is another one. A Ghost Story starts off like a by-the-number indie romantic drama but with a little patience, it reveals itself to be a really ballsy ghost tale that’s pretty original and quite moving as well. I really liked Ain’t Them Bodies Saints and this one made me a fan. If you enjoy films like Spirited Away, this film takes heavy inspirations from that movie in particular.

#05. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

No Caption Provided

Martin McDonagh does what he does, taking an otherwise heavy drama and consistently finds a lighter, funnier, truer tone. You have to give it up to the three central performers, Frances McDormand, Sam Rockwell, and Woody Harrelson who all play rather flawed character in a way that always elicits sympathy.

#04. The Square

No Caption Provided

I didn’t know what to expect from Cannes big winner. I knew it was from the director of Force Majeure but other than that, i went in blind. I was surprised by how ambitious it was and unlike Force Majeure, which felt pretty tight and singular, this felt more like a stream of consciousness. It has a lot to say, a lot to show you and as long as you don’t go in expecting some how for it to all come together, as long as you’re just there to experience it, it’s a beautiful thing.

#03. A Silent Voice

No Caption Provided

Didn’t know about this gem but caught a one-time screening of it and I’m so glad I did. It’s a much slower movie than one might expect from an anime feature which is great ‘cause it’s more about the characters than the plot. It also does what a good anime should do in walking the tightrope of comedy and drama through essential “genre” themes like friendship. The audience I saw it with was also one of best I’ve come across, very respectful and clearly there to enjoy the show. That doesn’t calculate into my feelings about A Silent Voice but it did often reveal what was working with the film. It’s not overstuffed with gag bits, it seems to provide them when you most need it, and the movie knows exactly when you do. What’s most powerful however, are the characters, particularly the two main protagonists and their development throughout the journey.

#02. After the Storm

No Caption Provided

I’m still chasing the joy I felt from Kore-eda Hirokazu’s Still Walking and After the Storm hits some of the same notes and provides some of what I’ve been yearning for. From the young to the old, the regular people in the movie resonate with me like none of the others on the list. It’s a narrative film that feels like a documentary, so accurately portraying and reflecting back reality, at least for me and how I grew up.

#01. The Florida Project

No Caption Provided

It doesn’t matter how high a movie ends up in a year end list, most of them won’t stick with me 5-10 years from now, most of them will turn into dust in my memory. Very few movies have the power to stay with you throughout your life. You might remember if you liked it or not and some bits and pieces but rarely will you carry them with you on a day to day. If i had to bet which film this year has the biggest chance to do that, I’d put all my chips down on The Florida Project. Don’t look it up, just go see it. Go go go go.

Let me know which movies you liked this year!

elmorales94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I haven't seen many films this year, so here's everything I did see, ranked:

6. Atomic Blonde

5. Wonder Woman

4. Spider-Man: Homecoming

3. Lady Bird

2. Get Out

1. mother!

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By jiggajoe14

I've seen a few of these. the Florida Project is absolutely brilliant. It packs a hell of a gutpunch. Top 5 film this year for me.

revel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loose ass list but here we go. Want to see Coco and Shape of Water.

Blade Runner
Get Out
Thor
Guardians 2
Planet of Apes
Logan
Spiderman
IT
Donald Cried
Kong

I hate myself for seeing that Alien Covenant shit.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This is a good list. Not a fan of all those films but I like it.

I've had an awful year in cinema, I've been pretty sick for over seven months and have been unable to watch movies in cinema. Thankfully I got a few screeners. From the movies released this year (in Montreal) I've been lucky enough to see, my favourites would be (no order):

Personal Shopper
Toni Erdmann
A Quiet Passion
Shape of Water
Ladybird
Ava
The Post
Song to Song (I'll defend Malick forever)
Bacalauréat
Get Out

That's a top 10 I guess.

Fancyusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a really great list of films. I haven't gotten around to seeing a lot of movies that I was looking forward to this year, such as The Shape of Water, Raw, The Florida Project and Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri, to name a few, but from the stuff that I have seen, my favorites, in no particular order, would have to be:

Okja
A Ghost Story
Baby Driver
Logan Lucky
It Comes at Night
Blade Runner 2049
Logan
Good Time
The Killing of a Sacred Deer
I Don't Feel at Home in this World Anymore
Get Out
You Were Never Really Here

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

I haven't seen many films released this year (hoping to change that next year and try and see at least twelve 2018 releases) but three I enjoyed would be:

1. Blade Runner 2049
  2. Star Wars: The Last Jedi
  3. Wonder Woman
Avioto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have mostly been watching 2016 films, so here's my super short list:

1. Blade Runner 2049

2. Ghost in the Shell

3. Baby Driver

4. Dunkirk

5. Icarus

I am going to see Star Wars and I really want to check out Mother! And now I am very curious about Florida Project, so thanks for that :P

Biggest dissapointment: Wonderwoman. She was a very one-dimensional character and Gal Gadot is just a bad actress in my opinion. The reviews for that movie kinda blew my mind.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By soulcake

@liquiddragonInteresting list, glad to know i am not the only one who has seen The Square.

Slasktotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@liquiddragon: Some neat stuff on there that I will deffo check out. Dying to see The Square but the release over in the UK was limited. Ruben winning in Cannes was by far my favorite "film event" of the year. Force Majeure and Involuntary where great and have for me been definitive depictions of broken masculinity in the 21st century.
While I am falling away from film more and more, here where the things I enjoyed watching the most 2017

Revisiting a lot of Kurosawa
Especially Kagemusha and Ran! He was a great storyteller who somehow managed to create epic after epic while never losing focus on the characters. More so, his way of making films, i.e. build a castle at mt fuji and create an army means his films are among the most timeless out there and look splendid to this day.

Dunkirk
The purest cinematic experience of the year for me. Whatever else might be true, Nolan crafted a big budget film that at times feels closer to silent cinema than the modern blockbuster. For managing to tell a story, pretty much solely through images, sound and editing, big thumbs up!

Handmaiden
I reckon "the most purely entertaining" Park Chan Wook film to date. It's a rock solid thriller, got characters you care about, is stylish as hell and is fun and kinky!

Blade Runner: 2049
The original Blade Runner is one of my favorites and seeing someone live up to it was a delight and brought a tear to my eye!
It's that very rare big budget movie that is actually about it's ideas and themes. It's the best science-fiction film in I don't know how long. It's a stone cold classic that can be mentioned in the same breath as the greats of the genre.

Twin Peaks: The Return
For people arguing this is not a movie, I don't care. It's like saying PUBG is not eligable for goty "because it's in early access". For my money, distinctions that are now so thin they're irrelevant and fantastically meaningless. I'm not sure the world need more people to gush over The Return but I'll just say that if this is the last we see of Lynch, it feels like a fitting swan song. Not only is it satisfactory in it's own right but also something of a beautiful summation of his work. You can find bits of Eraserhead, Mulholland Drive, Blue Velvet etc... in there.

MeetThePyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

1 Dunkirk
2 Your Name.
3 Okja
4 the Black Coat's Daughter

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fear_the_booboo: That's awful, hope you get wiel soon (eventually?). I gotta see a bunch of those. Have Toni Erdmann on hand, looks like A Quiet Passion and Bacalauréat I can stream, and The Post I'll see when it comes out. Didn't know about Ava, will seek that out. You're still a bad person for getting me to even think about seeing Song to Song. Might as well I guess having watched To the Wonder and Knights of Cup...

@fancyusername: Need to see It Comes at Night and want to see You Were Never Really Here when it comes out.

@soulcake: I wish it was easier for more people to see it. Did you enjoy it?

@slasktotten: I liked the new Twin Peaks as well. Waited 'til it was all out and just took it all in in a week. Seemed like a difficult show if you were watching week to week.

aznan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By aznan
Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Jeez that's an impressive list man

I wish I could say I've seen stuff, but really my entertainment time can't really accommodate sports, games and movies. Just not enough hours. So I pretty much just watch sports when I watch something. I've seen maybe 30 minutes of Baby Driver, that seemed super good.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By TheHT

Tentatively:

1. Blade Runner 2049
  2. War for the Planet of the Apes
  3. Colossal
  4. Star Wars: The Last Jedi
  5. Coco
  6. Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2
  7. Baby Driver
  8. Kingsman: The Golden Circle
  9. Murder on the Orient Express
  10. Marjorie Prime
  11. Dunkirk
  12. Logan

Liable to upset this list (if I get around to seeing them):

• Good Time
  • Colossal
  • The Shape of Water
  • Three Billboards
  • Coco

e1: oh my god Logan was this year.

e2: Colossal and Coco are fantastic.

e3: The Shape of Water is lovely. Not sure where it rates, but top 3 is almost certain. Banner year for movies about non-human people lol. Next up is that deer killing movie and a ghost story.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@liquiddragon: Thank you. I’m followed by a doctor now so it can only get better.

I hope you like them, from those three (Ava, Toni Erdmann and A Quiet Passion) the later one is the most divisive. Not knowing your tastes, it’s the one I’d have a harder time recommending. Do try it though, but you might hate it as much as a Malick film!

disco_drew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't spent much time this year checking out new movies, like everyone else here, but here are my favorites from what I did see (ranked from least to greatest):

8. Justice League

7. Power Rangers

6. Guardians of the Galaxy V. 2

5. Spider-Man: Homecoming

4. Star Wars: The Last Jedi

3. Baby Driver

2. The Big Sick

1. Logan

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

Right now my top 10 goes like this:

1. Blade Runner 2049
  2. Lady Bird
  3. The Florida Project
  4. Get Out
  5. mother!
  6. Baby Driver
  7. Coco
  8. Dunkirk
  9. The Big Sick
  10. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Still waiting for Phantom Thread, The Shape of Water, and Call Me By Your Name to be available in my area.

pauljeremiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 1

My Top 20 Films Of 2017

1. Dunkirk

2. Logan

3. Blade Runner 2049

4. The Disaster Artist

5. Paddington 2

6. Blade Of The Immortal (無限の住人)

7. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

8. Detroit

9. Baby Driver

10. The Big Sick

11. War For The Planet Of The Apes

12. Wonder Woman

13. Get Out

14. Lady Macbeth

15. Raw (Grave)

16. Free Fire

17. It

18. Mother!

19. Loving Vincent

20. The Death Of Stalin

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By liquiddragon

@aznan: Nice list. Will have to check out some of those.

@slag: Haha thanks. I find it hard to juggle my entertainment so I have to commit to one at a time. Took a good break from games and focused mostly on watching movies for a bit. It's deceiving though, you can quite easily spend way more time with just one of this year's major game releases than it would take to see everything I've listed. I'd liked to watch more sports, I find it pretty easy to get into them but the amount of commercials always bums me out. Football especially is really insulting to the viewer in that regard.

@fear_the_booboo: That's cool, I always like to see where I land on stuff like that. I think there is a bit of contrarian in me that tends to like divisive things in general. I do like Malick. I've enjoyed all his work from Badlands to Tree of Life, it's just, To the Wonder and Knights of Cup were...difficult.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Haven't seen many films this year, but I'd say my top 3 are:

1. Dunkirk

2. Baby Driver

3. Wonder Woman

I'd imagine Star Wars: The Last Jedi will be up there as well, just haven't had the chance to go see it yet.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: Good points on both accounts.

Don't blame ya, I tend to laserlock on one given pursuit at a time myself.

Yeah you can certainly watch a ton of movies in the time it takes to bang out a say a Yakuza game, but you can also drain your wallet pretty fast going to the theater that often (not to mention getting there etc). If I'm at home, I frankly get too restless to watch a whole movie through netflix or something like that. I get either too aware of things I need to do or I feel too mentally disengaged. So for me, it's usually theater or nothing. Which does change the equation quite a bit I think. I realize I'm unusual in that regard. I didn't have this problem when I was younger with responsibilities.

Baseball is something I tend to absorb in the background while working, doing housework etc or commuting. So it's pretty easy to fit into my life. Football is something where I tend to go to games in person. But yeah commercials are the worst. If I'm watching something at home I'll often bust out a 3DS or my phone during those. Most times though, I'm watching sports socially in some capacity. So Sports is kind of a different role in my life, it's a complimentary pursuit not necessarily the sole pursuit.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By liquiddragon

@slag: I know exactly what you mean about being too restless to watch movies at home. That's one of the reasons why I was mostly playing games this year but it seems on and off for me. I'm not paying much for movies atm, got in on that Movie Pass and I'm getting the most out of it while it lasts.

I should get more into sports, I always like watching it passively but when I try to talk to friends that actually follow it, I feel like how they probably feel talking to me about games. There is just so much layers of depth to any hobby or interest that I end up feeling like a total fraud.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

On the Beach at Night Alone is the only 2017 I was looking forward to (picked up some more since) but I've still not gotten around to watching it.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d: I definitely want to see that. Saw Right Now, Wrong Then a few weeks ago and I Loooooooovved it. The only other one I've seen by the director is Virgin Stripped Bare by Her Bachelors which I thought was amazing too. Def gotta see more of his shit.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@liquiddragon: Right Now, Wrong Then was amazing. Waiting on subs for The Day After too. There's also Claire's Camera, which makes 3 Hong Sang-soo Kim Min-hee collaborations this year alone.

Dukenux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Dukenux

Haven't seen that much new movies, but here's my top... 8. Well, top three and the runner ups.

1. Blade Runner 2049

2. Logan

3. Dunkirk

Out of the podium:

Silence

Atomic Blonde

John Wick Chapter 2

Ghost In The Shell

The Last Jedi

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon:

Meant to reply to this a while ago, but I think I lost my comment in the holidays somewhere

Man MoviePass. That's a smart play man, I forgot they did that crazy 10 dollar deal this year.

I don't know if you *should* get more into sports, it's like any other hobby there's value and problems with it. But if that's something you are interested in and want to get more into please don't let your lack of knowledge scare you off. Everybody has to start somewhere so there's no shame in that. I'll let you in on a widely known secret in sports watching, in the sports world (at least in the US) BSing is an expected norm of the culture. A good chunk of even professional commentators will say stuff that's blatantly incorrect. So if you are honest about what you don't know, you'll be ahead of probably the vast majority of the rest of us. :) If your friends judge you for not knowing something, that's their issue. The smarter thing to on their part is to be excited to share with you what they know as their friend (you) would now potentially have another shared interest.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FrodoBaggins

Wow 25 films.... I dont think I could name more than a top 2. Impressive.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag: Yeah, MoviePass is working great, though who knows how long they'll keep it that low.

It's so true what you're saying about BSing in sports. I kinda got into MMA in the last couple years and literally everyone talks like they're experts. It's such a macho male thing to act like you know anything about fighting. I find ppl are mostly cool towards folks not as knee deep into w/e hobby, it's mostly me being self conscious. Soccer is my sport and I've always wanted to follow it more closely but the leagues to watch are in Europe so I think the schedule is a bit crazy. But I'm gonna look more into it and ease myself into it in the new year. Honestly, I need to dip my toes into hobbies that get me out a bit more hopefully. Also, commercial breaks are so reasonable with soccer!

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

1. Blade Runner 2049
  2. Logan
  3. War for the Planet of the Apes
  4. Dunkirk
  5. All the Money in the World
  6. Wonder Woman
  7. Spider-Man Homecoming
  8. Baby Driver
  9. Star Wars: The Last Jedi
  10. Get Out
Avatar image for deactivated-643821ed9b0ef
deactivated-643821ed9b0ef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting list.

I barely watch any movies nowadays. But the movie that stuck out the most for me was Dunkirk.

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By cerberus3dog

Moviepass has been working great since I got it in August. I don't think I saw a movie this year that I didn't like. Super hero movies are getting tiresome. I still want to catch The Shape of Water and Only the Brave before they leave theaters.

1. Blade Runner 2049
  2. Wind River
  3. Dunkirk
  4. War for the Planet of the Apes
  5. Coco
  6. Logan
  7. Baby Driver
  8. Your Name
  9. Spider-Man Homecoming
  10. Logan Lucky
  11. John Wick Chapter 2
  12. Darkest Hour
  13. Thor Ragnarok
  14. Wonder Woman
  15. Star Wars: The Last Jedi
  16. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2
  17. American Made
billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 6

That's a lot of films to see in one year! I really liked the Big Sick also, and I really liked All The Money in The World.

Grimace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#34  Edited By Grimace

I saw 51 films in a cinema in 2017.

Here are the Top 10:

• The Big Sick
  • Colossal
  • Moonlight
  • Dunkirk
  • A Ghost Story
  • Paterson
  • The Teacher
  • Spider Man Homecoming
  • John Wick 2
  • Thor Ragnorok

(Bear in mind, I'm Australian - some films those in the US got in 2016 we got in 2017)

Good but not Top 10

• Blade Runner 2049
  • Atomic Blonde
  • Logan
  • Una
  • Lucky
  • La La Land
picot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers