My Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows broke

thejke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By thejke

Last night it was working fine. I started up my computer today and later turned on my controller but it just kept flashing. I look at the receiver to find that the green light was not on. I put it in several usb slots but it will not turn back on. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Bollard

Didn't Vinny talk on the podcast earlier this year about his breaking? Something to do with a super tiny fuse in there blowing? It could be that. I think the options are to replace it or short circuit it entirely.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bd0bd88428e3
deactivated-5bd0bd88428e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Had this happen to my receiver as well. Happened to be a broken fuse, which should be easily mended with a soldering iron. I'll just leave this how-to here: http://replayproject.wordpress.com/2010/10/09/how-to-repair-microsoft-xbox-360™-wireless-gaming-receiver-for-windows®/

I did use another how-to, this one seems overly elaborate. Basically just pry it open, find the fuse as designated on the board and solder it.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By DoctorWelch

Where can you even buy another one of those things? The ones on Amazon are all knock offs.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Bollard

@DoctorWelch said:

Where can you even buy another one of those things? The ones on Amazon are all knock offs.

They were discontinued I believe.

Which is insane.

thejke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By thejke

Thanks I will try soldering it.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By crusader8463

@Chavtheworld said:

@DoctorWelch said:

Which is insane.

Nothing insane about it. Microsoft realized they could make more money forcing people to buy a whole new wired controller.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By geirr

@DoctorWelch said:

Knock offs often work fine and if they're super cheap - and functional - even better.

Otherwise I'd go to Ebay and look.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DoctorWelch

@crusader8463 said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@DoctorWelch said:

Which is insane.

Nothing insane about it. Microsoft realized they could make more money forcing people to buy a whole new wired controller.

The problem with this whole thing is I want one of those new controllers to use with my PC, but they don't make those things wired and they don't sell dongles. So, Microsoft basically made their controller better, but then prevent you from using it on a PC where you might actually use the D-Pad.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By louiedog

The same happened to mine. The soldering method fixed it right up. 

@crusader8463 said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@DoctorWelch said:

Which is insane.

Why would they rather you buy a new wired controller than a wireless controller + receiver combo?
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By ajamafalous
@louiedog said:

@crusader8463 said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@DoctorWelch said:

Which is insane.

Why would they rather you buy a new wired controller than a wireless controller + receiver combo?
He's implying that you already have a wireless controller, so it's more expensive for you to buy an additional wired controller than to simply buy a wireless receiver.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12  Edited By crusader8463

@ajamafalous said:

@louiedog said:

@crusader8463 said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@DoctorWelch said:

Which is insane.

He's implying that you already have a wireless controller, so it's more expensive for you to buy an additional wired controller than to simply buy a wireless receiver.

Most people looking to buy a 360 controller for their PC would already have the one that came with the 360 console. So previously you could just take that same controller, buy a $20 dongle and resync it to the pc/console as wanted. Then they realized that they can just make you buy a whole new second one by no longer making the dongle.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By louiedog
@ajamafalous said:
@louiedog said:

@crusader8463 said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@DoctorWelch said:

Which is insane.

I understand that. I'm asking why they'd rather sell you a wired controller than the $60 wireless controller and receiver package. If someone's receiver breaks and they want to replace it and that's the only way to get a new, official receiver than they'll buy that package instead of the wired one. Why would Microsoft rather have you buy the wired controller than that? 
Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bollard

@crusader8463 said:

@ajamafalous said:

@louiedog said:

@crusader8463 said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@DoctorWelch said:

Which is insane.

Most people looking to buy a 360 controller for their PC would already have the one that came with the 360 console. So previously you could just take that same controller, buy a $20 dongle and resync it to the pc/console as wanted. Then they realized that they can just make you buy a whole new second one by no longer making the dongle.

I swear (at least in the UK) those damn receivers were the same price as a controller anyway...

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By colourful_hippie

@Chavtheworld: That sucks cuz amazon is selling the MS one for $16

ChaosDent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ChaosDent

@DoctorWelch said:

@crusader8463 said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@DoctorWelch said:

Which is insane.

The problem with this while thing is I want one of those new controllers to use with my PC, but they don't make those things wired and they don't sell dongles. So, Microsoft basically made their controller better, but then prevent you from using it on a PC where you might actually use the D-Pad.

It is a bit technical, I think a Dual Shock 3 with MotionJoy is a better solution for the most part these days. You have better quality control on the analog sticks than the old Xbox 360 wired controllers (the sticks on mine are loose and have dead-zone problems in some games) and a far superior D-Pad. MotionJoy is now signed for Windows so it installs easily and emulates X-Input perfectly. You can use a standard USB cable which comes with the PS3, or with a little research dedicate most $15 Bluetooth controllers to pair wirelessly.

I would recommend trying to get the Xbox wireless working only if you already have an Xbox 360 but not a PS3. Even one of those knock-off dongles will be cheaper than a new Dual Shock 3. It seems like they probably do work, but are more of a hassle to set up than MotionJoy.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DoctorWelch

@Colourful_Hippie said:

@Chavtheworld: That sucks cuz amazon is selling the MS one for $16

Apparently that one is a knock off.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By colourful_hippie

@DoctorWelch: Weird cuz I've had it working for about a year now with no problems.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DoctorWelch

@ChaosDent: That's actually what I use right now and it works perfectly fine. I just like the 360 controller more than the PS3 controller. Especially the new 360 controller with the twisty D-Pad. That's why I think its stupid that they don't just make a wired one of those, or still sell the wireless thing.

@Colourful_Hippie: I'm not saying they don't work. I'm just saying I'm pretty sure they aren't the official ones and it just seems stupid for Microsoft to make it impossible for people to use the improved controller on PC while only using Microsoft products.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By colourful_hippie

@DoctorWelch: True but at least they work fine. It's not hard to find a driver to make them work and I didn't even have to do anything other than plugging it in when I plug the device into a windows 8 machine.

tread311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By tread311

I had to do the fuse fix on mine as well. Very easy fix with little or no soldering skills and mine has worked fine ever since.

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JCGamer

Do these things work on a mac? Anyone know?

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By alternate

The knockoffs work fine, they even use the MS drivers. If you can solder then just bridge the fuse, you don't actually have to replace it.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By GaspoweR

@geirr said:

@DoctorWelch said:

Knock offs often work fine and if they're super cheap - and functional - even better.

Otherwise I'd go to Ebay and look.

The third-party replacements on Amazon are actually fine. The most common complaint though on Win 7 would be that the drivers that come with the product don't work but the solution is to add them yourself manually since the Microsoft controller driver is pre-installed with the OS. Usually the user reviews would list down the instructions on how to do it. It doesn't involve registry changing or anything but it does involve going into menus.

Th3irdEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Th3irdEye

I know this is almost 2 months old at this point but I just wanted to pop in and say that I just fixed two of the adapters that I had by soldering the f1 fuse on the backside of the board. It was really quick and it works like a charm. Glad I didn't have to buy a third one. I didn't even know that these things could be fixed. Thanks for this post!

Optix12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Missed this thread 2 months ago, thanks @th3irdeye
for bringing it back up. Mine lights up but whatever usb slot i plug it in the PNP wouldnt register properly and would always be an unknown device. I dont know if this will work but worth a shot when i have spare time. I had a PS3 in my room and for £1.90 a bluetooth dongle so i have been fine for quite a while.