My PRK experience thus far. PRK - Days 1 through 5

Chadley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Chadley

It has now been 5 days since I had PRK on both my right and left eyes. I'd been wanting to post a small blog about my experience but have either been too lazy, or just plain unable to do so due to my vision, or lack thereof. So, a quick recap... 

Day of surgery: Laid on the operating table nervous as can be. Still wasn't sure if PRK was what I wanted but I thought "that the hell, I've come this far."  The surgery itself was a breeze, didn't hurt a bit. This fooled me, as I thought that the next few days were going to be pain free (even though I had read in countless other posts about the pain coming the day or two after surgery).  The rest of the night was fine, no real pain and about the same vision I had without my glasses prior to the surgery. 

Post PRK - Day 1: A little blurrier today, and I was starting to get a little light sensitive. No real pain again. I just continued to put in the steroid drops and anti-inflammatory eye drops in every 4 hours, and the moisturizing drops every 10 minutes (a real pain in the ass). 

Post PRK - Day 2: O...M...G. I can't open my eyes for more than a second or two because of the burning and sensitivity to the light. I spent the entire day sleeping, I couldn't do anything else. 

Post PRK - Day 3: A little better than Day 2. I still have trouble seeing without being blinded by any light, so I wear my sunglasses throughout the house all day. Another day of sleeping and drops. Pain was meh, just annoying to see blurry EVERYTHING. It was on this day I noticed my left eye was becoming slightly more clear than my right, something that worried me a bit. I tried playing some video games, no dice...back to bed.   Oh, and I can't even look at a TV or computer monitor, I just can't read it. Too bright!

Post PRK - Day 4: Ah a little better, not much, but the pain is gone and I can finally keep my eyes open! Right eye is significantly weaker than the left. Hopefully when they take the protective contacts out it'll get better. I manage playing some games and watching TV today, though I have to sit like 2 feet from my 52" TV to see anything, and it's still blurry.  Towards the end of the night I notice some improvement and it makes me feel a bit better. 

Post PRK - Day 5: So that brings us to today, day 5. I woke up this morning and was extremely happy to notice that both eyes had basically evened out with the vision. My right eye still slightly weaker, but it's nice to see it starting to level out with the left eye. Went in to the docs today and the tech said I was at 20/40, which disheartened me. I asked the doctor about it and he reassured me not to worry, that it was a normal thing for the vision to worsen before it gets better. The time had come to remove the contacts, and I was excited...until it actually happened. Someone had forgotten to tell me that your vision actually gets a bit worse after the contacts come out. BOO! So now I'm at home, still feeling a little optimistic. I've seen slight improvements everyday so there is no reason to start worrying. I can now read the computer monitor, albeit, blurry, and it's nice not having the contacts in. I look forward to what tomorrow brings. The doc says it can take a few weeks and/or months for the vision to straighten itself out...bring  it on!!!!

Chadley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Chadley

It has now been 5 days since I had PRK on both my right and left eyes. I'd been wanting to post a small blog about my experience but have either been too lazy, or just plain unable to do so due to my vision, or lack thereof. So, a quick recap... 

Day of surgery: Laid on the operating table nervous as can be. Still wasn't sure if PRK was what I wanted but I thought "that the hell, I've come this far."  The surgery itself was a breeze, didn't hurt a bit. This fooled me, as I thought that the next few days were going to be pain free (even though I had read in countless other posts about the pain coming the day or two after surgery).  The rest of the night was fine, no real pain and about the same vision I had without my glasses prior to the surgery. 

Post PRK - Day 1: A little blurrier today, and I was starting to get a little light sensitive. No real pain again. I just continued to put in the steroid drops and anti-inflammatory eye drops in every 4 hours, and the moisturizing drops every 10 minutes (a real pain in the ass). 

Post PRK - Day 2: O...M...G. I can't open my eyes for more than a second or two because of the burning and sensitivity to the light. I spent the entire day sleeping, I couldn't do anything else. 

Post PRK - Day 3: A little better than Day 2. I still have trouble seeing without being blinded by any light, so I wear my sunglasses throughout the house all day. Another day of sleeping and drops. Pain was meh, just annoying to see blurry EVERYTHING. It was on this day I noticed my left eye was becoming slightly more clear than my right, something that worried me a bit. I tried playing some video games, no dice...back to bed.   Oh, and I can't even look at a TV or computer monitor, I just can't read it. Too bright!

Post PRK - Day 4: Ah a little better, not much, but the pain is gone and I can finally keep my eyes open! Right eye is significantly weaker than the left. Hopefully when they take the protective contacts out it'll get better. I manage playing some games and watching TV today, though I have to sit like 2 feet from my 52" TV to see anything, and it's still blurry.  Towards the end of the night I notice some improvement and it makes me feel a bit better. 

Post PRK - Day 5: So that brings us to today, day 5. I woke up this morning and was extremely happy to notice that both eyes had basically evened out with the vision. My right eye still slightly weaker, but it's nice to see it starting to level out with the left eye. Went in to the docs today and the tech said I was at 20/40, which disheartened me. I asked the doctor about it and he reassured me not to worry, that it was a normal thing for the vision to worsen before it gets better. The time had come to remove the contacts, and I was excited...until it actually happened. Someone had forgotten to tell me that your vision actually gets a bit worse after the contacts come out. BOO! So now I'm at home, still feeling a little optimistic. I've seen slight improvements everyday so there is no reason to start worrying. I can now read the computer monitor, albeit, blurry, and it's nice not having the contacts in. I look forward to what tomorrow brings. The doc says it can take a few weeks and/or months for the vision to straighten itself out...bring  it on!!!!

FartyMcNarly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By FartyMcNarly

Day 6: Infection sets in, eyeballs are replaced with super bouncy balls.

Chadley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Chadley

lol no no!

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Sambambo

I cant be the only one thinking the poker sight can I?

I even thought that as I was reading the days...

EDIT: Sight? Sorry, I meant site...

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

God I should get off this computer screen before I need surgery like you 
Good luck bro

Chadley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Chadley
@addictedtopinescent said:
" God I should get off this computer screen before I need surgery like you Good luck bro "
Hehe thanks man, it'll go well, just gotta keep positive!!
Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Rhaknar
@SuperSambo said:
" I cant be the only one thinking the poker sight can I?  I even thought that as I was reading the days... "
if you mean PKR thats what i thought at first too...

...im going to be a ignorant bastard and ask, what is PRK :(
Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Capum15
@Rhaknar: You could just google it, though I could've just googled it as well. 

I'm guessing it's similar to LASEK (Laser Eye Surgery/Corrective Surgery), but, seeing as I haven't googled it, I could be wrong.

Okay, just googled it, it's like the forerunner of LASEK. So yeah, Laser Eye Surgery.

According to wikipedia, it stands for "Photorefractive Keratectomy".