My thoughts on whats wrong with the response to the AC lawsuit

macandcheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By macandcheese

So this is just kind a word dump please excuse it if some of the ideas are repeated, also misspelling just felt like I needed to say what was on my mind.

We as a group insist that we are adults, we insist that we have a hobby that is just as acceptable as any other and that we even think of as art, yet when anyone acts in any way that we don’t like we lash out like a small child on the playground. This whole thing for me was lit off by the recent reaction to Ubisoft being sued. For those under a rock the company is being sued by a write who claims that the ideas used as the games foundation (Namely accessing ancestral memory and reliving history) are from his 2003 book “Link”. He is seeking damages of 1.05 million up to 5.25 if Ubisoft willfully infringed on his copyright, as well as prevention of release of any further assassins creed products.

Personally I don’t like that last bit, I love the AC franchise but if the concept was stolen I believe that he should be entitled to compensation. The problem is that he has almost immediately been attacked by at least a small part of the community claiming he just wants money. They immediately took the internet and posted negative reviews on his book which had been largely unreviewed until this whole thing began ( I found 1 amazon review dated before 4/18/2012). This is where I have a problem, if we want to be taken seriously and have games taken seriously we need to stop with the immature behavior. Even if it is just a small part of the community we need to make it clear that this is not something we think is acceptable, bashing on someone just for starting a suit against a company or game you like is no excuse for behavior like this. For all we know this guy has a legitimate claim against the AC franchise and if not then the courts will stop it for us. Even if his lawsuit turned out to be bogus and just be a play for cash this is still no acceptable way to respond, if we want to be taken seriously we need to earn it by behaving in an adult manner.

In the end we are moving towards more mainstream acceptance as a hobby and even perhaps a form of art, things like this will only convince people that we are not ready to be seen as such and will only set us back. The further we get into mainstream acceptance (something I’m assuming everyone myself included wants) the more light will be shone on behavior like this and the more it will hurt our reputation as a community.

If you made it down here thanks for reading my rant, I hope it wasn’t too bad.

macandcheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By macandcheese

So this is just kind a word dump please excuse it if some of the ideas are repeated, also misspelling just felt like I needed to say what was on my mind.

We as a group insist that we are adults, we insist that we have a hobby that is just as acceptable as any other and that we even think of as art, yet when anyone acts in any way that we don’t like we lash out like a small child on the playground. This whole thing for me was lit off by the recent reaction to Ubisoft being sued. For those under a rock the company is being sued by a write who claims that the ideas used as the games foundation (Namely accessing ancestral memory and reliving history) are from his 2003 book “Link”. He is seeking damages of 1.05 million up to 5.25 if Ubisoft willfully infringed on his copyright, as well as prevention of release of any further assassins creed products.

Personally I don’t like that last bit, I love the AC franchise but if the concept was stolen I believe that he should be entitled to compensation. The problem is that he has almost immediately been attacked by at least a small part of the community claiming he just wants money. They immediately took the internet and posted negative reviews on his book which had been largely unreviewed until this whole thing began ( I found 1 amazon review dated before 4/18/2012). This is where I have a problem, if we want to be taken seriously and have games taken seriously we need to stop with the immature behavior. Even if it is just a small part of the community we need to make it clear that this is not something we think is acceptable, bashing on someone just for starting a suit against a company or game you like is no excuse for behavior like this. For all we know this guy has a legitimate claim against the AC franchise and if not then the courts will stop it for us. Even if his lawsuit turned out to be bogus and just be a play for cash this is still no acceptable way to respond, if we want to be taken seriously we need to earn it by behaving in an adult manner.

In the end we are moving towards more mainstream acceptance as a hobby and even perhaps a form of art, things like this will only convince people that we are not ready to be seen as such and will only set us back. The further we get into mainstream acceptance (something I’m assuming everyone myself included wants) the more light will be shone on behavior like this and the more it will hurt our reputation as a community.

If you made it down here thanks for reading my rant, I hope it wasn’t too bad.

Soulglove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Soulglove

Agreed.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Jay444111

The Authors claims are bullshit on a level higher than WTF. You know what, I claim a copywrite on dragons with glasses and true love EVER being used in any story. I get 10K for each being used and if you don't like it I will SUE YA!!!!!

This is the authors way of thinking. The man is stupid beyond belief and he would be laughed out of court instantly due to how stupid this is. That is a fact. Just shows us more on how copywrite laws should be thrown out really.