Kurt Pellegrino Vs. Fabricio Camoes Kurt Pellegrino Submission (Choke)24
Jon Fitch Vs. Ben Saunders Jon Fitch Unanimous Decision35
Jim Miller Vs. Mark Bocek Jim Miller Unanimous Decision35
Nate Diaz Vs. Rory Markham Nate Diaz Technical Knock Out12
Ricardo Almeida Vs. Matt Brown Ricardo Almeida Submission (Choke)23
Rodney Wallace Vs. Jared Hamman Jared Hamman Unanimous Decision35
Rousimar Palhares Vs. Tomasz Drwal Rousimar Palhares Submission (Leg Lock)10
Matthew Riddle Vs. Greg Soto Matthew Riddle Disqualification31

Like my prediction post, I want to talk about the two title fights. Then I will talk about some of my favorite moments from last night.

Carwin Vs. Mir for the Interim Heavyweight Belt

wow...I know that I picked Carwin to win in my fantasy, but wow. I picked Shane solely out of my hatred for Frank Mir, and I loved the fight. Shane did what Shane does, he put Frank against the cage and beat him down. Seeing Frank getting put to sleep after all the talking he did was a great feeling. But what Shane did last night is not what he is gonna do to Brock. Brock is just too big, too strong and too hungry. For those people who think Shane is just as big as Brock, I direct your attention to the following picture from last night.
No Caption Provided
Brock dwarfs Shane. Brock is also far superior to Shane in wrestling. Brock is gonna hand Shane his first loss in July, mark my words.

GSP Vs. Hardy for the Undisputed Welterweight Belt

Like I said before, Hardy does not deserve to be in the same ring as GSP. He simply got outclassed last night,badly. The only good thing I can say about Dan is that the guy has some heart. GSP had him in some very deadly submissions that could have very easily torn his arm off and Hardy did not tap. I was disappointed though that GSP did not finish the fight. Now he NEEDS to finish his next fight or he will have no fans whatsoever. 

No Caption Provided

As for his next fight, I would like to see if GSP can handle some of the guys at 185. Maybe Nate "The Great". And if he can put away a couple of middleweights, he can give Silva a good run for his money.

Other Interesting Fights

It was good to see the Jersey kids getting it done at the Rock last night. Sparta's Jim Miller put on a great fight, and Pt. Pleasant's "Batman" Pellegrino put on his best performance yet in the octagon.

In the ONLY fight were I picked the wrong winner, Rousimar Palhares nearly tore the gorilla's leg right off, earning him a 9 month suspension for not letting go of the leg lock. 

Jon Fitch put on a wrestling clinic similar to GSP and destroyed "Killa B" Saunders

Summary

UFC 111 was one of the best cards UFC has had in a while. Their last couple of fights have been pretty "blah". But with this great card and a couple of very nice looking events coming up, the UFC is looking to rock the house down in 2010.

Also just to let you know, I was ranked in the top 100 on my fantasy picking the correct winner on every fight but one,  Rousimar Palhares vs. Tomasz Drwal, and gaining bonus points in two of the fights.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By iam3green

nice, thanks for results. i was surprised when i read that mire lost. i was expecting him to break his bones. shane is a huge duder. his like 12-0 now? yeah, awesome.

JWawin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JWawin

UFC 111 was a solid night of fights. The heel hook Palhares had on Drwal was a thing of beauty! 

Avatar image for fakeplastictree
FakePlasticTree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FakePlasticTree

Was there ever any question GSP would win? That man is an amazing fighter. Love them Canadian combatants!  GSP baby!!!

it was a great night for UFC. The last one was a bit stale but UFC 111 was an excellent rebound. 

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hot_Karl

Eh, I liked UFC 110 better, but 111 was pretty damn fun to watch IMO. 

I also thought Mir was going to win, but fuck I have a TON of respect for Carwin now after seeing how he straight up massacred Mir last night.  Pellegrino's fight was also excellent as well, but the other matches dragged on a bit. I saw the pay-per-view in a movie theater & there was an audible sigh of boredom during the first few fights.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RsistncE

I just wish Fedor and Lesnar would fight so that we could see Lesnar get stomped and then inevitably whine like a 6 year old in a toy store.

choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By choffy21

Carwin is a beast. I think he's fought in the Octagon for a total of like 16 minutes now, and that's a span of 12 fights. Wow. Excited to see his fight with Lesnar, and it should happen soon; Carwin took no damage in that fight. And it may be my love of Mir, but McCarthy could have easily stopped that fight 10 seconds earlier. There was a point when Mir was no longer in the fetal position, but just lying flat on the mat and Carwin was still beating the shit out of him, and McCarthy was standing there watching. Oh well, Mir's next fight is destined for Ultimate Fight Night 23 on Spike. 

And even though Hardy stood no chance, I love his swagger, his attitude and I LOVE his heart. The man is made of fucking rubber. Every other fighter in the UFC would have tapped during the armbar, let alone that kimura; GSP was cranking it as hard as he could and Hardy took it. You could tell he was in a lot of pain, but he was not going to quit and lose his shot at a title and I respect that. You could tell he got in GSP's head a bit after Round 4, and if Hardy can work on his takedown defense and ground game, I could see a rematch with GSP being a very good fight. 

A great night of fights, and I'm pumped for UFC 112. A great card yet again. 

Oh, and while that heel hook was absolutely beautiful that Palhares pulled, he held on for 5 seconds after Drawl tapped and seriously hurt the guy. Losing is tough enough, but the guy was literally screaming in pain. Palhares is an asshole. 

Edit: Oh, and that Pellegrino fight was one of the most entertaining fights I've ever seen in MMA. Ever. And his dance at the end was hilarious.

fresh2deafbill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By fresh2deafbill
@choffy21 said:
" McCarthy was standing there watching
Big John hasn't called a UFC fight in years. I'm pretty sure Dan Mirgliotta called the co-main event.
sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By sixghost
@fresh2deafbill said:
" @choffy21 said:
Big John hasn't called a UFC fight in years. I'm pretty sure Dan Mirgliotta called the co-main event. "
Shhhh, every UFC ref is Big John, it's like the matrix. And OP, what the fuck are you talking about, people love GSP.
Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Rhaknar

i just watched it this morning, and how the FUCK did Hardy not tap on both occasions I'll never know. GSP has no real competition as a walterweight i'm afraid, and whoever fights him next will just be dominated again... I mean, who do you put him up against? Fitch again? Nothing would change...Koscheck? BJ for the third time? Its common to say I know (especially since people say the same about anderson) but he should just have the dream match with Anderson Silva at middleweight, if not move to to middleweight all together.

Carwin vs Lesnar should be good, although Lesnar looked fucking huge next to Carwin.

jahkua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By jahkua

GSP disappointed many of his fans in this fight.  Hardy lasted 5 rounds with the champ and proved to everyone that he deserved his title shot.  If Hardy can develop takedown defense he'll definitely become a top WW contender.

Also GSP is staying at WW.  Everyone wants to see a GSP/Silva fight but it probably won't happen.  GSP's next fight needs to be Fitch or Koscheck and it's more likely going to be Koscheck.

And Lesnar vs. Carwin is happening at UFC 116 on July 3.

lancer75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lancer75

I was really disappointed with the results from the Bocek fight, I thought he clearly won and I don't think that 5 seconds of back control at the end of the fight won it for Miller.  Bocek clearly won the second round and he controlled the pace for the third round.  Some even argue that he won the first (I don't).  It just appeared throughout the fight that Bocek was the more polished fighter, he completed his takedowns, controlled the action on the ground (excluding round 1), and he was even with Miller standing.  You can argue for a 10-10 third round, but seeing as American judges are completely terrified of giving out a 10-10 round, I think that Bocek should have won it.

Oh, and Hardy not tapping from the Kimura was purely because of the sort of poor technique that GSP was using.  He didn't pin down Hardy's body (if you rewatch the fight, you'll see that Hardy's able to move his hips to alleviate the pressure), and GSP didn't lock Hardy's humures to his chest in order to get the best angle with his Kimura.  Some people are flexible, and in order to finish someone like Hardy with a shoulder lock you have to have perfect technique.  GSP said after the fight that he was disappointed with his technique and that he wanted to finish Hardy.  It's scary to think how good GSP would be if he developed better back control and he tightened up his submissions on the ground.

choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By choffy21
@sixghost said:
" @fresh2deafbill said:
" @choffy21 said:
Big John hasn't called a UFC fight in years. I'm pretty sure Dan Mirgliotta called the co-main event. "
Shhhh, every UFC ref is Big John, it's like the matrix. And OP, what the fuck are you talking about, people love GSP. "
Ahh soot. It was Dan Miragliotta... 

But Herb Dean is by far the best ref in the business.
fresh2deafbill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By fresh2deafbill
@sixghost said:
"And OP, what the fuck are you talking about, people love GSP. "
I'm just saying that a lot of his fans are not happy with his last two fights, but neither is GSP himself. I really want to see GSP finish his next fight, taking three straight title fights the distance in a row is not a good thing.

I did enjoy the fight though, but that's only because I don't like Hardy
Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Rhaknar

and next month, at least title wise, both matches will probably end up being 1-sided just like the GSP-Hardy match. Both Anderson and Penn will eat their opponents up easily. The only weight class with actual competition is the light heavyweight, and to some extent the heavyweight (lets see what carwin does with lesnar). I'm not dissing the UFC, but their champions are just too dominant in their weight classes (hell, if Machida gets a proper win on Shogun, i still dont see who can take the title from him at light heavyweight)

fresh2deafbill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By fresh2deafbill
@Rhaknar said:
" i still dont see who can take the title from him at light heavyweight "
Kimbo? haha jk jk
Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Rhaknar
@fresh2deafbill said:
" @Rhaknar said:
" i still dont see who can take the title from him at light heavyweight "
Kimbo? haha jk jk "
isnt Kimbo fighting at the same event as MAchida v Shogun 2? :D
Laharl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Laharl

After the first 30 seconds of mir/carwin i said to myself "Mir is looking way too overconfident." And sure enough.....maybe he was trying to psych out carwin? either way his strategy seemed to be let carwin uppercut the piss outta him. Lesnar is still gonna destroy Carwin though, his wrestling is just too good and its gonna look like the second mir fight all over again. I still cant wait though, gonna be crazy!

GSP and fitch are boring, go ahead and shit on me all you want but (fitch especially) they need to start finishing fights, they are both impressive fighters with a great all around skill but this is a sport where excitement reigns just as much as wins. Look at wanderlei silva, hes been a losing streak(minus bisping which he still shoulda finished) but he still is one of ufcs top guys cause damn if he doesnt make when hell of an exciting fight. Oh also gsp needs to work on his RNCs he had a few opportunities and he probably would of finished hardy with it.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By sixghost
@fresh2deafbill said:
" @sixghost said:
"And OP, what the fuck are you talking about, people love GSP. "
I'm just saying that a lot of his fans are not happy with his last two fights, but neither is GSP himself. I really want to see GSP finish his next fight, taking three straight title fights the distance in a row is not a good thing.  I did enjoy the fight though, but that's only because I don't like Hardy "

Did you hear any booing during his interview? This isn't some King of the Cage show, he's defending the UFC title, as long as the fights aren't boring he has nothing to worry about. 
BassmanPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BassmanPaul

TBH I was massively gutted by the GSP-Hardy fight. For starters, I really wanted Hardy to take the belt, a long shot of course but it would definitely be so sweet, especially for us Brits. Secondly, I felt that GSP defended his title poorly. He essentially neutralised Hardy, kept on top on the ground and wasted time. His submission attempts were too poorly executed for a man with the heart and toughness of Hardy to tap from. Really, I would've wanted to see some skill from GSP beyond knowing how to lay on his opponent long enough to win on points.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Baillie
@RsistncE said:
" I just wish Fedor and Lesnar would fight so that we could see Lesnar get stomped and then inevitably whine like a 6 year old in a toy store. "
Wake up, Brock would destroy Fedor. Even he knows this, and that's why he's too scared to join the UFC. 

@BassmanPaul said:
" TBH I was massively gutted by the GSP-Hardy fight. For starters, I really wanted Hardy to take the belt, a long shot of course but it would definitely be so sweet, especially for us Brits. Secondly, I felt that GSP defended his title poorly. He essentially neutralised Hardy, kept on top on the ground and wasted time. His submission attempts were too poorly executed for a man with the heart and toughness of Hardy to tap from. Really, I would've wanted to see some skill from GSP beyond knowing how to lay on his opponent long enough to win on points. "
Fuck Dan Hardy, he is a cocky cunt and needed to be put in his place. Sticking his tongue out at GSP like the one-two didn't hurt. I must give my respect to him for not tapping though, but he was completely stupid not to. His arms were getting tore apart, know your limits. GSP would have tore them off, I just think he got a bit confused as to why he wasn't tapping and loosened the hold... Rookie mistake I guess, but man he completely outclassed Hardy in every single way.
Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Baillie

Oh one more thing, I forget who it was, but one of the earlier fights some dude got the other in a leg lock and didn't let go for roughly 5 seconds after he tapped. What kind of bullshit is that? Instead of letting him win, he should have been disqualified and suspended.

fresh2deafbill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By fresh2deafbill
@Baillie said:
" Oh one more thing, I forget who it was, but one of the earlier fights some dude got the other in a leg lock and didn't let go for roughly 5 seconds after he tapped. What kind of bullshit is that? Instead of letting him win, he should have been disqualified and suspended. "
I mention it in my OP. it was rousimar palhares and he did get suspended
Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Baillie
@fresh2deafbill: oops sorry.
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RsistncE
@Baillie: Oh wow, are you serious? I don't even need to argue this one, just have a look at who Fedor has beaten over his career.

Although Lesnar nuthuggers are always funny people, so please...continue the nuthugging.
Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Baillie
@RsistncE: I'm in no way nuthugging Brock. Don't try to act the big shot, I have watched Fedor destroy, and I too would love to see this fight happen. Fedor is a great fighter, but Brock is fucking huge, naturally gifted and I just can't see how Fedor, or anyone get the better of him. 

You'll see. Brock is going to destroy the division, and it's sad that he is. I want Fedor to come and beat him, but it's not going to happen, Fedor is scared. I would be too, the guy is an animal.
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By RsistncE
@Baillie: All Lesnar has is size. Fedor has already beaten people who are bigger and stronger than Lesnar so I can't see how he would be an issue.

Additionally the reason Fedor has not fought with Lesnar is largely due to his managers asking for co-promotion with the UFC, something that Dana White refuses to do. Fedor has already made it clear before that he will fight anyone that wants to. Lesnar is nothing but an oversized sore loser, he has the talent of a whale in that he just sits his weight on top of people and hammerfists them into a TKO. The problem is there have not been any expert BJJ fighters who have taken him on yet. In fact Mir, whom is far from an expert in grappling, submitted him in his first fight. If Lesnar attempted any of his whale tactics Fedor would put him in an armbar and he would tap like a bitch.
Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Baillie
@RsistncE: Well, we can only dream. Thing is, Brock is improving and it shows. When he first fought Mir it was laughable how easily he fucked up and took the leg lock. Now though, he's a lot smarter and doesn't just go in and ground and pound, even though it may look like it... He's just doing it, better. 

Anyway, predictions on the Carwin fight? 12-1? :P Who do you think in UFC will be first to take the title away from him?
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By RsistncE
@Baillie: Yeah I suppose all we can do is wait and hope that they will fight. I just hope it's soon since Fedor isn't going to stop aging...

I don't think Carwin will be able to do it. I think Lesnar will bum rush him and keep him on the ground and finish with a TKO. Personally I think Cain Valesquez will be able to beat Lesnar. There is something about that guy which is just plain fucking scary.