New Year's Resolutions

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

It's that time of year again where we decide on how we better ourselves. I don't take resolutions too seriously and think anytime is a good time to improve yourself, but there's something about a new year that inspires me to try a little extra harder to do the things I know I should be doing.

My main resolution is to write more. I've admired and secretly wanted to be a writer for most of my life, and this is the year where I get more serious about it - well actually like two months ago was the start of me taking it more seriously, but this next year I'm going to be extra serious. Hopefully you see me around here soon writing some blogs for games I've played.

Any of you have a resolution or two in mind?

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By BrunoTheThird

Writing is a good one... I hope to finish some chapters of my novels, and my comic, and my Sherlock Holmes story... Urgh. Scrivener has been a godsend in collating my research and structuring outlines; really helps me be productive and reduces the internal clutter in my head.

My main goal is to give more money to people in need, and spend less on myself. My health is declining and I'm not long for this planet, so I think it's really important for me to give as much back to it as I possibly can. I turned 27 in February, which was when I started to give back to others, but I would like to increase my output twofold at least.

Last, but not least: I need to get out more. I've never drank booze, never been to an art gallery, never seen an aurora, never been in a hot air balloon. Gotta do something at some point!

BonelessSpirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stop with the drinking completely. I'm already two months sober so I feel good about it.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spend even more time with my wife and kids and make even more memories.

nateandrews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 12

I’m gonna read at least one book a month and write more for sure. I also want to put 2,000 miles on my bicycle. Did close to 1,000 this year but I bought it in April so I missed quite a few months.

IEEE_GB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Finish all three volumes of Capital by Marx. Fuck anyone who claims to know anything about Marx if they havent read all 10 million pages of these books FML

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bet that could cause a concussion.

BonelessSpirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ieee_gb: Next step is to reread them about 50 times to understand half the shit Marx was talking about.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I would recommend giving Atomic Habits a read in order to effectively set goals.

I am going to continue with the healthy lifestyle habits I established in 2018

I am going to be able to translate writing and have basic conversations in Italian by October

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Read more.

Keep building muscle.

Burn some remaining fat.

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 6

I plan to play videogames more often

tjdmhem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

getting me a girlfriend.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By militantfreudian

I make new resolutions throughout the year, but the start of a new year is as good a time as any to make new ones. So here goes.

I fell short of my goal this year to read 10 books (currently in the final pages of my eighth). My goal next year is to read at least 12. I'm also trying to figure out how to commit myself to writing more – at least to the point where I can justify my Squarespace subscription.

Aside from that, I'd like to continue trying to lead a healthier lifestyle. Starting this week, I've been trying to reduce my screen time, sleep more, quit drinking coffee past morning, reduce my sodium intake, and maybe be less stringent about my diet in general.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get the house clean and keep it clean. Also, I need to get out more and do more 'stuff'.

Hawkerace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Stop eating burgers and drinking soda. Finish the book I've been working on for ten years. I'd add beat a rogue like too but I just managed to do that a couple of days ago for the first time (sword of the stars the pit). Finish that grand theft auto retrospective ive had in my head for a few years. Buy a house. Good luck to everyone else out there. Fuck I love soda.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@brunothethird:been messing around with the trial version of Scrivener and think I'm going to get it, it's just a little overwhelming at first.

@bonelessspirit: Congrats, I've been sober since September but am not doing it for good. Always impressed by people who have that kind of will power.

For those of you wanting to loose weight and don't know much about fitness I would look into intermittent fasting and high intensity interval training.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sloppydetective: When you start a project in Scriv, you pick a template, and there is a template in the 'fiction' tab called 'novel with parts' which I highly recommend. I edited it to be even simpler, so mine is arranged like this:

No Caption Provided

You can try to arrange it like I have if you want, then save it as your own template (file>save as template). Each template has a tab called 'novel format' that tells you how to use it pretty succinctly, too. Happy writing!

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Sort my stupid life out. I'll be turning 31 in 2020, and I still only earn £11k a year.

I've got an interview to teach in Japan though, and if that fails, I'm confident I can do the same programme with Korea. Whatever happens, I'm getting out of the hellscape that is the Torie's Britain

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Start reading more books again (going through The Hobbit now), get a new job, decide whether I want to stay with my girlfriend and build a more stable circle of friends

jppt1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Working out as I do but still looking for ways to improve

2. Being with my family despite being single

3. Going to church every single chance I get despite not being a morning person

4. Just being kind and forgiving

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

In addition to the weight loss and reading resolutions I always have and then never follow through on, this year I really want to get my spending under control. I moved to a more expensive city in July and I've been having some difficulty adjusting, but I've also developed some bad habits. Lots of eating out/in (grubhub and the like) that add up to a big bite out of my budget.

cool_swords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are some resolutions I need to remind myself of every year (every couple of weeks really): get enough sleep, exercise, cook more, read more, and keep up with friends and family. But for 2020 there are two specific things I'd like to stick to. The first is to keep my games backlog to a minimum. As I get older I feel I am less bother by the fomo and don't have that urge to buy and play every game that is released and talked about. I'd like to buy less games but finish more of them, if that makes sense. Another one is to leave a like, a rating or a couple sentences just to let creators know I enjoyed a thing they've made, be it videos, music or games.