Obscure Sci-Fi

PlipO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By PlipO

I am looking for obscure Sci-Fi films/shows that are serious about the subjects they tackle.  I am not looking for something with the unintentional comedy value of the original Star Trek series.

Chipset_Seven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Chipset_Seven

The old Outer Limits TV shows were great.  I don't know how you'd get a copy of the shows - Perhaps DVD? VHS? I don't know. 

EDIT - Just realized something.  You might consider the special effects rather funny, but the shows still are good.
Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Pie

Do you mean like a documentary or something like the X-files?

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kmdrkul
Moon came out earlier this year and I have heard nothing but good things about it.  It meets your requirements; it is supposedly very much an intellectual's sci-fi and pretty damn obscure considering it was never played in theatres and I'm pretty sure a DVD doesn't exist for it yet. 
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By ArchScabby
@kmdrkul said:
" Moon came out earlier this year and I have heard nothing but good things about it.  It meets your requirements; it is supposedly very much an intellectual's sci-fi and pretty damn obscure considering it was never played in theatres and I'm pretty sure a DVD doesn't exist for it yet.  "
well that should be easy to watch then.
kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kmdrkul
@ArchScabby said:
" @kmdrkul said:
" Moon came out earlier this year and I have heard nothing but good things about it.  It meets your requirements; it is supposedly very much an intellectual's sci-fi and pretty damn obscure considering it was never played in theatres and I'm pretty sure a DVD doesn't exist for it yet.  "
well that should be easy to watch then. "
He asked for obscure, I gave him obscure :P

I guess I'll also go ahead and recommend Solaris and Stalker, both by the same guy.  The remake of the former has George Clooney and it sucks pretty bad.
Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hitchenson

It's not obscure, but you know what's awesome? Firefly. Ah, Nathan Fillion...

cjmhockey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cjmhockey
@Hitchenson said:
" It's not obscure, but you know what's awesome? Firefly. Ah, Nathan Fillion... "
Hellz yes, love me some Firefly.
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By teh_destroyer

Blade Runner is a fantastic science fiction movie that takes its subject very seriously, and is easily one of Harrison Ford's best performances. Also give Aliens a shot, one of the biggest oscar winning sci-fi movies of all time.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By penguindust

For TV, check out Space: 1999, U.F.O., The Prisoner (original), Babylon 5, Project U.F.O., Max Headroom, Space: Above & Beyond, Earth 2, Farscape and Amazing Stories.

For TV hokum that is laughable but fun or so bad it's fun there is Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, Dr. Who (good stories - horrible FX), Salvage 1, The Man from Atlantis, 6 Million Dollar Man/Bionic Woman, Mann & Machine, Galactica 1980, Cleopatra 2525, Seaquest DSV, Sliders, Logan's Run and Ark II.

For movies you may have missed, Gattaca, Brazil, Solyaris, The Omega Man, A Boy and His Dog (weird, sometimes unintentionally funny but good), Sleeper, GunHed (Japanese giant robots!), Capricorn One, The Man Who Fell to Earth, The Andromeda Strain, Them!, Logan's Run, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Outland, The War of the Worlds (1953),  The Cell, Brainstorm, Enemy Mine, The Blob (1958), The Birds, Pitch Black, Damnation Alley, Dark City, Day of the Triffids, The Time Machine (1960), Demolition Man, The Final Countdown, Frequency, The Iron Giant ('toon), Lifeforce, Mimic, On the Beach, Powder, Screamers, Silent Running, Soylent Green, Slaughterhouse 5, and Things to Come.

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By teh_destroyer
@PenguinDust said:
" For TV, check out Space: 1999, U.F.O., The Prisoner (original), Babylon 5, Project U.F.O., Max Headroom, Space: Above & Beyond, Earth 2, Farscape and Amazing Stories.  For TV hokum that is laughable but fun or so bad it's fun there is Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, Dr. Who (good stories - horrible FX), Salvage 1, The Man from Atlantis, 6 Million Dollar Man/Bionic Woman, Mann & Machine, Galactica 1980, Cleopatra 2525, Seaquest DSV, Sliders, Logan's Run and Ark II.  For movies you may have missed, Gattaca, Brazil, Solyaris, The Omega Man, A Boy and His Dog (weird, sometimes unintentionally funny but good), Sleeper, GunHed (Japanese giant robots!), Capricorn One, The Man Who Fell to Earth, The Andromeda Strain, Them!, Logan's Run, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Outland, The War of the Worlds (1953),  The Cell, Brainstorm, Enemy Mine, The Blob (1958), The Birds, Pitch Black, Damnation Alley, Dark City, Day of the Triffids, The Time Machine (1960), Demolition Man, The Final Countdown, Frequency, The Iron Giant ('toon), Lifeforce, Mimic, On the Beach, Powder, Screamers, Silent Running, Soylent Green, Slaughterhouse 5, and Things to Come. "
You know a thing or 2 about good science fiction movies.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HandsomeDead
@kmdrkul said:
" @ArchScabby said:
" @kmdrkul said:
well that should be easy to watch then. "
He asked for obscure, I gave him obscure :P

I guess I'll also go ahead and recommend Solaris and Stalker, both by the same guy.  The remake of the former has George Clooney and it sucks pretty bad. "
No, it doesn't. The Soderbergh Solaris is slow but well worth a punt.
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Snipzor

So all the movies from MST3K are out of the picture?

Smarter_Martyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Smarter_Martyr
@Snipzor: They are NEVER out of the picture.
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Snipzor
@Smarter_Martyr: Good.

Now strap in tight 
Let's get set for action 
To hoist the ship, out of the sand 
HE TRIED TO KILL ME WITH A FORKLIFT! 
HUZZAH

Sorry, can't help it. Gets me every time.
kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kmdrkul
@HandsomeDead: They made it into a pure romance film.  I hated that.
Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Giantsquirrel

Not obscure, but still excellent is Battlestar Galactica (new series). Blade Runner is also great.