Photobombers (Giant Bomb Photographers)

skittles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By skittles

Hey duders! I noticed there's been a couple of photography posts in the past, but they're a bit old so I thought I'd start a new one.

I've recently gotten into photography and it's quickly becoming an obsession. Hopefully it's the kind of obsession that is actually a passion, and I stick with it for years to come.

For those interested, I'm shooting with a Canon 1100D, and two main lenses. My primary lens is a Canon 17-40mm f4.0L USM wide angle lens, and the second is the plastic fantastic 50mm f1.8.

I'm excited to try all sorts of types of photography, and my next investment will be in a 100mm f2.8L macro lens, in about a month. I'd also like to get a full frame body, and will most likely pick up a Canon 6D at some point down the road, probably in a few months.

Below you'll find a few shots I've taken in the last week or so. Most are taken with the new wide angle L lens I bought, but a couple are with the 50mm. Please go ahead and post some of your work for myself and others to admire :)

Oh, I almost forgot. If you've got tumblr or would like to check out any of my other photos, head to my blog - http://carpenachos.tumblr.com

tonyp2121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By tonyp2121

I use a Rebel T3 Camera with the standard kit lens, plan on buying more lenses soon though. While I'm not too into photography it is a fun thing to do to pass the time.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Nezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By Nezza
No Caption Provided

I'll hold off from uploading shots here except for one example, but I will link to my Flickr account.

I've been shooting around 10 years and most of my stuff is travel related, which is used in my travelogue

skittles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use a Rebel T3 Camera with the standard kit lens, plan on buying more lenses soon though. While I'm not too into photography it is a fun thing to do to pass the time.

Nice shots. That's actually the same camera I'm using, but the naming is different overseas.

I have been little busy with work and school lately and as result have not been taking lots of photos. I am hoping that during the summer, I can correct that.

Various cameras, mainly 100mm 2.8L and Sigma 50mm 1.4 lenses. More at my flickr, which consists mainly of off camera flash photos and landscapes - I think...

I love the misty forest shot. I'm hoping I'll be able to plan a trip somewhere similar when there's some fog rolling into my town. We have a fairly predictable fog that rolls in down the river and often settles around the mountain above my town, so hopefully I'll have a few chances this winter.

You're using two lenses I'd be keen on buying! I'm already convinced I want the 100mm f2.8L, but how are you finding the Sigma 50mm f1.4? I don't want to exclusively buy Canon lenses, so I was looking at a Sigma 50mm or possibly a Carl Zeiss 50mm, just to expand my experiences with different lenses.

@nezza said:

I'll hold off from uploading shots here except for one example, but I will link to my Flickr account.

I've been shooting around 10 years and most of my stuff is travel related, which is used in my travelogue

Fantastic shots duder. I'm totally envious of your travels. I'm planing to travel to Europe later this year, and your work (both with photography and managing to find the time to chronicle your travels) is inspiring. It really sucks to read about your misfortune, but I hope you find the will to keep going. Try not to think of it as starting over. You might have to buy new gear and build up a new collection, but the skill you've developed over 10 years can't be lost in a camera bag or on a dodgy hard drive.

Nezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By Nezza

@skittles said:
@nezza said:

Fantastic shots duder. I'm totally envious of your travels. I'm planing to travel to Europe later this year, and your work (both with photography and managing to find the time to chronicle your travels) is inspiring. It really sucks to read about your misfortune, but I hope you find the will to keep going. Try not to think of it as starting over. You might have to buy new gear and build up a new collection, but the skill you've developed over 10 years can't be lost in a camera bag or on a dodgy hard drive.

Thanks.

It was the experience of a lifetime, and like most great experiences that come to an end its conclusion has left me feeling a little hollow. Mind you taking a year out and then having to reintegrate tends to do that to a person. The additional shock of losing my gear and work just came as a kick in the teeth, but once I'm back working and have the money I almost certainly will replace my gear. Photography has pretty much been the one constant I've had over the years, so I'd be unlikely to walk away for too long.

Whereabouts are you travelling to? You'll like Europe, it's an easy region to move around in and something interesting around every corner. Even if you don't write in detail on your travels, I'd encourage you to keep some kind of notes. I tend to think I can remember everything about the trips I've taken and then I'll read a note from 10 years ago and I realise just how much I'd forgotten. Trust me when I say that the feeling you get upon having those kind of recollections makes any time spent making the notes worthwhile.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@skittles said:

You're using two lenses I'd be keen on buying! I'm already convinced I want the 100mm f2.8L, but how are you finding the Sigma 50mm f1.4? I don't want to exclusively buy Canon lenses, so I was looking at a Sigma 50mm or possibly a Carl Zeiss 50mm, just to expand my experiences with different lenses.

I can really recommend the Sigma 50mm 1.4. It is the lens that I use 85% of the time. It might not be the sharpest and sometimes (1 in every 100 shots) it might miss the focus. That said the way it captures light is unlike with any other lens. It works really well in low light (because it is optimized for this) but is nothing special when it is bright outside (sunny 16-ish). I live in Finland and here that is not a problem since dark, cold seasons are long and indoor areas are more dimly lit than in other places. Works great with flashes, specially if you are using color gels. So if you want shoot mainly below 2.8 and you are not taking photos in bright outdoors, get it.

100mm 2.8L USM IS is nice lens and there is a reason why it is one of the best selling Canon lenses. Word of warning though, for me, 100mm was surprisingly hard to get used to after using only lenses in 50 -17mm category. It took quite a while before I could make good enough compositions with it regularly.

toastface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've been taking photos for a some years, but only ever as a weekend / hobby activity. I started on digital, and when I had to sell my DSLR (Canon 350D at the time) it took me some time before I realised there was heaps of film cameras going super cheap I could be using. I used film for some time, and continue to now, but I've just recently picked up n Olympus OMD with the 12-50mm kit lens, and the amazing 45mm 1.8 prime. I temd to use my flickr account as a dumping ground, feel free to look around there: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasmus/

OMD

Film (Self developed black and whitefrom a Holga and a Minolta X700 35mm SLR, Kodak Slide film from the same Minolta)

TrashMustache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

photography is so pretentious, i hate it so much

PS: nice pictures guys!

ElixirBronze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm no photographer, I took this pretty much by accident last winter and ended up liking it.
I'm no photographer, I took this pretty much by accident last winter and ended up liking it.

McTangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By McTangle

I took some photos on a trip to Croatia, but my camera is dated. Ahoy!

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

skittles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been doing a fair bit of photography lately, so I thought I'd post a few of the shots I've taken recently. Since my last post I purchased a Canon 6D, and I've been shooting mostly with the 17-40mm f4.0L, but a little bit with the 50mm f1.8

I'm finding myself more interested in taking shots of people lately, so I've got plans to purchase a 85mm prime lens. I'm in saving mode since I plan to go overseas soon, so it'll probably end up being the f1.8 version, rather than the seriously expensive f1.2

As usual you can find more of my shots over at http://carpenachos.tumblr.com/ I'd really appreciate the followers if anyone else uses tumblr :)

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been mainly uploading the odd picture to my 500px account. Feel free to check them out!

Current tools of the trade;

• Canon EOS 600D
  • Canon EF 50mm 1.8 II
  • Canon EF-S 55-250mm
  • Canon EF-S 18-55mm

Been really liking limiting myself to the fixed 50mm as of late though.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

VeggiesBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Photography for me, is more a hobby than anything else. I have know I have more to learn, and that will likely be the case for some time. I LOVE landscape photography and as my job involves working outdoors in remote locations during the warmer months, I've been fortunate enough to see some great scenery.

My kit currently consists of a Nikon D600 w/kit 24-85mm and the following lenses:

• Nikkor 16-35mm
  • Tokina 100mm Macro
  • Samyang 14mm

I'll do my best to post a few example photos later today. Having never posted any to the net (excluding Facebook), i'm hesitant to do so, as it's the internet afterall and just don't want to deal with any trolls. Anyways, hopefully you all enjoy them!