Pre-Owned vs New Games

zungerman090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By zungerman090

For some reason, I prefer to buy my games new. Sometimes, it means spending much more money. Some games can really keep their price for a while (I am talking about Vita titles specifically) A copy of Gravity Rush costs 25 quid, but a pre-owned copy is just 12. This is only the case with some games though. Most of the time, savings seem to be negligible. Buying used copies just feels weird. It really shouldn't though. I buy a new copy, the shrink wrap comes off and I never really look at it again. What do you think guys? Is this normal? How do you feel about buying pre-owned?

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By SomeDeliCook

I buy use games for really old games. I never liked ordering stuff online and I prefer to buy it in a store, and 90% of the time they won't have a new version of older stuff. 
There's a local small chain of stores here called Dimple that sell used versions of everything: Vynil, Cassette, 8-track, CD's, VHS's, DVD's, Blurays and HD-DVD's, Snes games, Genesis games, etc etc.  
When I want an old game, even if its from this generation, I'll always go to Dimple first before Gamestop because they don't open brand new copies of stuff and sell it to you nor do they harass you about pre ordering stuff. 

Also, I don't buy brand new games that often. I don't want to spend 60 bucks on something that will be 40 bucks two months later.

Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Mighty

If the games are old... I'm all about used games. That being said, I try and buy new games when I have the money to do so, especially if it's a developer who I really support.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Vextroid

I used to buy used games all the time, mainly for games you couldn't find used or the price of the used games was significantly cheaper because at the end of the day I'm trying to save a few bucks were I can. I don't buy used games so much anymore, primarily being a PC gamer.

The last used game I bought was a few months ago. Spotted a copy of Theatrhythm for the 3DS and it made me realize I hadn't seen any new copies for sale, though to be fair I hadn't been actively looking for the game.

zungerman090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By zungerman090

@Vextroid: Same here actually. I play new releases on my laptop, so it is Steam for me. Just got a Vita and I am quite frankly shocked by the prices. Some of them are obscene. I am making it my goal not to buy anything that costs more than £15. Also, there is a mark up on the prices anyways compared to USA, so that certainly exacerbates things

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By JCGamer

I try and buy everything new if possible. The only time it becomes an issue is when it's pretty old.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Terramagi

They still print disc copies of games?

How... quaint. Next you'll be telling me pennies are still around.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By awesomeusername

Fuck yo used games! New all day!

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Sooty

I rarely buy console games so I'm usually buying new because PC. Sometimes I buy used PS3 games.

I don't buy used games if they are really old and I can just download them, because the money isn't going to the developers so what's the point.

Most the games I buy on PS3 are quite niche (most recently Yakuza 4 and Yakuza Kenzan) so they were already cheap brand new. Kenzan was £17 to import from Japan which was pretty reasonable I thought...need to get 5 imported soon.

bishna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By bishna

Ya I buy new whenever I can. I only buy used if the game is more than like 3 years old or something.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By billyhoush

I always end up finding an online coupon code or deal to get brand new games for $40. The Internet rules.

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

@Terramagi said:

They still print disc copies of games?

How... quaint. Next you'll be telling me pennies are still around.

PENNIES ARE STILL AROUND!!!!

SuperCycle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SuperCycle

I'll play pretty much every big blockbuster game throughout the year, but I just play then a couple of months after they are released and I'll always buy used. I just honestly don't see the point of buying a brand new product for $60 when in two or three months I can get it sometimes for half that. It's not my fault that no money from used game sales go to publishers. I wish it did, and they should try to work out a system with used game sellers that gives them some of that profit, cause I'm not going to voluntarily spend more money on something I don't have to.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By morningstar

I buy games new, but I usually wait until the price drops a wee bit. Still buying the odd Ps2 game on ebay though.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I really try to buy new when possible. But it's neither pragmatic nor savvy to buy a game for near-full price when I can snag a pre-owned copy for a substantial discount.

Philosophically, I don't like taking money from developers. But at some point budgetary constraints become more important than idealism.

Trainer_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Trainer_Red

I only buy new games when they are made from developers that I support or if the game is really great and/or memorable.

Most of the time the games I buy are used and the great thing is I personally know the Gamestop guy so he always gives me discounts and the online codes if they are needed.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hitchenson

Steam. Always Steam.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FourWude

Would you steal a car? Would you steal a defribrilator machine from an ambulance? Would you steal a baby?

No. Then don't buy used games. Morally it's just as bad.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By No0b0rAmA

I play PC games :(.

SuperCycle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SuperCycle

@FourWude said:

Would you steal a car? Would you steal a defribrilator machine from an ambulance? Would you steal a baby?

I'm sorry, you think that buying a game legally from a licensed reseller is morally as bad as stealing a baby? This is a thought process that goes through your head? You actually sat down thought about buying used games, and thought... "Well, if I'm gonna buy a used game I might as well kidnap the Anderson's kid."

Rainbowkisses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Rainbowkisses

@SuperCycle said:

@FourWude said:

I'm sorry, you think that buying a game legally from a licensed reseller is morally as bad as stealing a baby? This is a thought process that goes through your head? You actually sat down thought about buying used games, and thought... "Well, if I'm gonna buy a used game I might as well kidnap the Anderson's kid."

Hey, I steal babies all the time. There's nothing wrong with it. Also the defibrillator thing, I don't think stealing a game is going to directly result in someone's death.

Edit: Unless you were joking.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mandude

@FourWude said:

If they're just like physical goods, then why can't they be resold as such?

Rainbowkisses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Rainbowkisses

@FourWude: Your comment reminded me of this.