Protecting yourself when working in someone else's home?

Lotan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Lotan

I just started a job where I will be entering other people's homes and repairing their computers. I am concerned about protecting my-self and would like some advice from people who do this already or have done in the past. Physically I'm a pretty imposing guy, 6'2" 220, mostly muscle with 2 black belts in different fighting styles so it's really not the fear of physical confrontation. I'm mostly concerned about ladies accusing me of touching them or worse because I won't lower their price or something. Any help will be appreciated.    

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@Lotan said:
"  I just started a job where I will be entering other people's homes and repairing their computers. I am concerned about protecting my-self and would like some advice from people who do this already or have done in the past. Physically I'm a pretty imposing guy, 6'2" 220, mostly muscle with 2 black belts in different fighting styles so it's really not the fear of physical confrontation. I'm mostly concerned about ladies accusing me of touching them or worse because I won't lower their price or something. Any help will be appreciated.     "
Have a third party there. Never do this stuff alone. Even if its a friend just hanging around. 
Lassegp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Lassegp

...dude...really?

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Brians
@Lotan:  Don't accept premade drinks. Insist they make the Kool aid in front of you.
Lotan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Lotan
@The_Laughing_Man: I's love to have an independent thired party there but seeing as how I'm going to be doing this everyday it's not feasible.
Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By Meltac

Oh god.. I don't think that you should worry about it..

Lotan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Lotan
@Briguile: Now, that's good tip sir.
NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NickL

choke a bitch until she stops accusing you

realistically though, i don't know... the obviously choice is to have someone else there, but that would just be another paycheck that ultimately isnt necessary....

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Brians

As I said safe and sound if you watch them make the beverages in front of you.

Lotan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Lotan
@Meltac: I have had similar situation happen at a client's place of  business that almost got me fired before, I worry becase it has happened.
Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By Sambambo

Have a third paty, however you seem to be overthinking it...

You could always wear a secret camera (which may inflict a new wave of legal problems on you) but it would solve your original problem.

BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BrickRoad

You could always use a surrogate. That way you stay in the safety of your room, and they go to the house. They do what you say and have a camera and microphones attached to their heads so you can hear and see. Just make sure you don't say what you're thinking. Wink.

Colin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Colin

If you worry like this over everything you wouldn't even leave the house, just don't be a dick and you'll be fine .:P
Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Meltac
@Lotan: Oh, well then it's a completely different situation. Just try to solely do your job, without no small talk or something like that.
Lotan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Lotan

Yeah, I was thinking about one of those recording pens, but recording someone with-out their knowledge is illegal in FL and in their own home might be considered even worse.

Lotan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Lotan
@BrickRoad: Ahh if only I was rich like George Bluth.
Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Brians

Also buy one of the belts used during the Victorian era to discourage masturbation. That should set you straight.

papuccino1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By papuccino1
@Lotan said:
"  I just started a job where I will be entering other people's homes and repairing their computers. I am concerned about protecting my-self and would like some advice from people who do this already or have done in the past. Physically I'm a pretty imposing guy, 6'2" 220, mostly muscle with 2 black belts in different fighting styles so it's really not the fear of physical confrontation. I'm mostly concerned about ladies accusing me of touching them or worse because I won't lower their price or something. Any help will be appreciated.     "
Great thread. Made me spit some coffee out because of the sheer absurdity.

I'm assuming you are in the US? Well, sucks for you because it seems that there you are guilty until proven innocent when it comes to rape. Here in latin america you are innocent until proven guilty in that area.

They are calling you to fix their computer. Simply state your price before going there and leave no question about it: You won't accept haggling.
BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BrickRoad

There's always money in the Banana stand.

I actually used to do a little bit of going to people homes to repair computers. I always hated it, always. Luckily I'd left by the time the company moved entirely in that direction, as originaly it was a high street shop.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Tennmuerti

Bring condoms.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ArchScabby

Always wear a helmet cam.  Tell them it's to record your work to improve you skill.  Don't tell them it's actually because they are lying dirty whores who can't be trusted.  Also working on computers is dangerous, and you need a helmet to protect your pink squishy brain.

Shinri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Shinri

To be honest, with that description, the people you'll be doing jobs for should be the ones asking for tips for protection. Seriously, they're letting a powerful looking guy into their house. I don't think you need to worry.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By BraveToaster

I think you should record everything. Before you enter someone's home just inform the him/her (I'm sure there are weird men who scream rape *shudders*) that it's a safety precaution and throw in some BS about an increase in violence. If the customer needs their computer fixed and have nothing to hide, chances are they would comply.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24  Edited By KaosAngel
@Tennmuerti said:

" Bring condoms. "

Wrap that dick before you tap that bitch.
Avatar image for organicalistic_
Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Organicalistic_
@Tennmuerti said:
" Bring condoms. "
this
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ajamafalous

Lol'd at this thread.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Kyreo
@Lotan: I say.... pay someone part of what you make to be your aide.  This would also solve the "Third Party" solution.