Provincial Batman VS Batman of the World - Your Preference?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Seppli

In light of the the third Dark Knight movie being released these days. Do you really prefer smalltown Batman over JLA Batman? I mean seriously! Everything about JLA Batman is like 100x grander, even his love interest. No lesser man than JLA Batman's gonna bump uglies with Wonder Woman. That alone should seal the deal really.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

HAY GUISE DO YOU AGREE WITH ME

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Ravenlight

I prefer the Batman that mostly ignores the rest of the world's problems and obsessively focuses on the one shitty city is mansion is in.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SeanFoster

I like "early career" Batman. Year One, The Man Who Laughs, The Long Halloween, The Christopher Nolan films etc. He has Alfred backing him up, he's building an alliance with Jim Gordon, but other than that, he's on his own. I don't mind Dick Grayson being in the mix, but when you get to the point where there's Batman, Robin, Nightwing, Red Robin, Batgirl, Batwoman and The Red Hood all running around things get weird.

gumdealer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By gumdealer

This is actually something I've been thinking about recently, and I prefer the loner Batman style. I pretty much consider Batman in the JLA a different character. His character works better as an outsider, and being seen with the JLA would probably hurt his image of being a dark, brooding guardian. I may have thought about this a little too much.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

Most of the time I prefer "self-contained" superheroes. I think it allows for more focus on the character him/herself, especially with Batman. I think you should either have a superhero team or just an individual hero.

Zenogiasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Zenogiasu

SWEAR TO ME

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By FLStyle

Provincial Batman - I very much prefer this Batman because of the psychology that goes into him and his villains.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By veektarius

The biggest problem I have with your position in favor of JLA Batman is that you think it's cooler to have sex with Wonder Woman than Catwoman. Put that poll up - I bet Wonder Woman gets crushed.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Gotham City-focused Batman. Less chance of some other superhero's shitty villains leaking into the story. Batman's villains are great for the most part and Gotham City obviously suits Batman better. Oh yeah, and Catwoman is so much better than Wonder Woman. No contest. Batman's love interest shouldn't be a goody-two-shoes Amazonian.

EDIT: I do want to point out that Justice League: Doom was great, however. Really makes it a point to say "Hey, Batman is in a league of his own compared to all these other guys. Even Superman." No pun intended, I just don't know how else to phrase it.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Seppli

@Veektarius:

Amazonian Kegels on your dick. 'Nuff said.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Seppli

@MariachiMacabre said:

..."Hey, Batman is in a league of his own compared to all these other guys. Even Superman." No pun intended, I just don't know how else to phrase it.

That's exactly what I love about JLA Batman. Putting Batman into perspective with Superman and Lantern and Martian Manhunter makes him bigger and much more badass than regular-ass Batman. JLA Batman is The Man.

Gotham is such a dingy place and its denizens downright puny compared to the galactic JLA universe and its almost all-powerful inhabitants. Small fries for small fries Batman. JLA Batman on the other hand...

Dexter_Morgan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dexter_Morgan_

JLA Batman is annoying. Theres no reason for him to be there... Thanks to him O.M.A.C almost destroyed every superhero in the DCU. He did sacrifice himself in Final Crisis though, so I guess it evens it out.

Creepy street Batman is where it's at.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ShaggE

Gotham Batman all the way. I like Batman because he's (usually) NOT fighting superaliens and gods and whatnot.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Provincial Batman for sure. A large portion of what makes Batman great are the villains he fights, and specifically the ones lurking around Gotham.

Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Arbie

@Veektarius said:

The biggest problem I have with your position in favor of JLA Batman is that you think it's cooler to have sex with Wonder Woman than Catwoman. Put that poll up - I bet Wonder Woman gets crushed.

Abso-friggin-lutely!

And I'll take option B, please!

Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really dislike most of the DC universe. To me Batman, when well written, exists in a world closer to our own than the same world where a man can run around the world in three seconds and a boy from space has ice breath.

CptPanda29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CptPanda29

JLA and Gotham based Batman are pretty much different people. The people that write the detective stories with the Bat-villains write very differently to how JLA writers work Batman into any given scenario.

I prefer smalltown Batman.

ahgunsillyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By ahgunsillyo

I like both. And luckily, I can have both.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By Oldirtybearon

I dislike JLA Batman for one specific reason - the JLA is why he's considered an omnipotent god in human form.

Due to his lack of powers and (in regular-ass Batman comics) his great intellect, writers have to essentially turn him into a supernatural being with a brain that makes Stephen Hawking look like a bumbling retard so that he can just keep pace with the gods in the JLA. What these writers don't understand is that part of what makes Batman so compelling is that he is human, and is prone to the same flaws and vulnerabilities as any other human being. If he's damn near omniscient and such a master strategist, all of the tension is gone when he is battling someone like Two-Face, or The Penguin, or Scarecrow, or any of the dozens of compelling, fascinating villains in his rogues gallery. In the end he always wins because "Hey Batman's super smart and can out-think any being in the universe." No tension, same as Superman.

This is in part why I'm in love with Scott Snyder's run on Batman. Yes, Batman is formidable, strong, and very smart, but he can be caught off guard. He can make mistakes. He can be vulnerable. You can't have that Batman in the JLA because everything is on a Dragon Ball Z level of scale. It's ridiculous and just plain not fun. Batman in the JLA sucks. And the entirety of the JLA sucks, for that matter.

But that's an entirely different post for an entirely different discussion.