Should I move to Reno/Sparks, NV?

shoshiaj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Should I move to Reno/Sparks, NV? (81 votes)

yes 60%
no 40%

I currently live in the Mid West and have a nice job opportunity in Reno/Sparks, NV

• 
ricobanderas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People tend to regret the things they don't do, not what they do. Life's an adventure, go for it

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed8c7c6e043f
deactivated-5ed8c7c6e043f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, but its a mistake I think everyone should make once in their life.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Make life an adventure

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

It's not the worst decision you'll ever make.

Avatar image for deactivated-6204297b0c601
deactivated-6204297b0c601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

It seems like the other people here are maybe focusing on the "moving/life is an adventure!" aspect, and not the "Reno/Sparks" part. Are you able to visit there first? Or have you been already? Having passed through Sparks and spent a night there, I have a real hard time picturing living there. But you have to decide that for yourself; I don't what the place you're currently living is like.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

Have you been to the area before? I've been to Nevada a couple of times, but never Reno. I'm not sure what it would be like living there, besides how awfully hot and dry that area gets.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Without any context I'm going to say 'no', but depending how midwest your current situation is I guess it could be a modest upgrade? I dunno, if you go for it use it as a stepping stone to ultimately end up somewhere better.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

Reno is a shithole, but it may be far less of a shithole than where you currently live. It's all relative.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Do you like meth? 'Cause there's a lot of meth out there.

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I think you might already have a pretty good idea if you are asking strangers on an internet forum for major life advice.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I have no idea what your employment situation is now or how this job opportunity will change your life. I'm guessing it's not too huge of a boost or you wouldn't be making a poll on a gaming website forum.

I voted no because living in the desert sounds horrible.

hnke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got a six shooter?

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

It's like anywhere else. It has its problems but it also has some really nice things. There's the Truckee River, Lake Tahoe, gambling (if that's your thing), Hot August Nights, UNR Sports, and a whole lot of other stuff. California is not too far away. If you have a stable job and can live in a decent area I would go for it. Just avoid the Valleys if you can.

(Lived in Reno for 15 years)

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By frytup

I've never lived in Reno but I have good friends who've lived both there and in Tahoe, so I'm very familiar with the general area.

Do you like outdoorsy stuff and skiing and/or do you like to gamble? You'll be fine.

Do you like high culture and diversity? Probably go somewhere else.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People tend to regret the things they don't do, not what they do. Life's an adventure, go for it

Spoken like someone who doesn't know anyone who attended law school.

It totally depends what you do whether or not you regret it.

That being said, moving to Reno isn't permanent and if you're thinking of moving you're probably not happy where you are. Plus if the job opportunity is great you will probably be able to move somewhere else in a few years and maintain the opportunity gains, assuming it's not a very Reno-specific job (like an undertaker who specializes in hookers found in trunks of '89 Buicks.)

ricobanderas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ricobanderas said:

Spoken like someone who doesn't know anyone who attended law school.

It totally depends what you do whether or not you regret it.

That being said, moving to Reno isn't permanent and if you're thinking of moving you're probably not happy where you are. Plus if the job opportunity is great you will probably be able to move somewhere else in a few years and maintain the opportunity gains, assuming it's not a very Reno-specific job (like an undertaker who specializes in hookers found in trunks of '89 Buicks.)

Yes by all means, take a flippant response to a flippant question and make an uninformed judgment. My sister went to law school....she became a successful lawyer. Go figure!

Bedouin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You live in the mid west, so you could say you want to move about anywhere but there and I would say yes.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ricobanderas: You took that very literally. Nonethelss, my point is backed up by objective data.

But the larger point is that plenty of people regret things they do, it really depends on how it works out. Saying "you only regret the things you don't do" provides a skewed perspective. Lots of (though not all) divorced people regret their decisions to get married. "Just do it" is a better slogan for a shoe company than it is a life philosophy.

seemah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I made a big move to Australia a couple years back. After 25 years in Oregon I decided a little change might be nice. The opportunity was raised through a job promotion and I decided to take it.

I won't sugar coat it, it was fucking hard. I really didn't like being away from friends and family and after my contract was up I moved back home.

Would I do it again? No. Am I glad I did it? Hell yes I am.

We only get one go round this beautiful blue ball! Take risks and try something new, even if it freaks you out.

I didn't have a good time living outside of my comfort zone but I'm a better person today for doing so. Take the risk and see how it goes.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#20  Edited By monkeyking1969

Context is crucial for a good answer. Why move? A job? A spouse? A lark?

I would find a job you want to do/can do, THEN find the BEST small or medium sized city that has those jobs. If you have the means to move across the country, or just move, you might as well find the BEST place to be.

smallbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nyet. Move to Camden NJ.