So I edited together 22 hours of Giant Bomb/Iron Galaxy's Extra Life stream into a 1 hour video

Avatar image for renegadedoppelganger
RenegadeDoppelganger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Hey, it's me again. I'm the guy who did that other video.

So this time I downloaded all 12 parts (22 hrs, or 18GB) of Giant Bomb / Iron Galaxy's 22 hour Extra Life live stream and decided "why not try to make another dumb internet video with this. That won't be too much harder, right?"

Why I decided to jump from a 3 hour video featuring one game to 22 hour livestream featuring like, every game, is beyond even me. I actually tuned in for parts of the stream when it happened live, but couldn't stick around for everything. I really liked what I saw so I figured taking on this project would give me a good excuse to watch it all plus I'd have something to show for it at the end.

It was a real test of my patience, As I watched Patrick, Dave, Steve and co. fight to stay awake, I found myself sharing in their ordeal a little. There were definitely times where I'd reach what I thought was a good stopping point for the session only to zoom out and discover I'd maybe only got 1/18th of the way through.

Shit.

Large parts of the stream weren't usable mainly due to it being footage of dudes passively playing games without much commentary. Any content will do on a 24 hour livestream (as long as it's not horror games) but that isn't the case when you're trying to edit together something engaging. However, Dave could almost always be counted on to drop some hot sound bites and whenever Spelunky or Velvet Sundown was booted up, you knew some shit was about to go down.

What have I gotten myself into this time / A rainbow of sadness
What have I gotten myself into this time / A rainbow of sadness

In the end I ended up cutting out more than 75% of the footage in a first pass just to get it to a 'reasonable' length and then doing another pass to make sure I got all the moments I wanted. The final version is still over an hour long, but the nice thing about taking an hour out of 22 is that there is pretty much zero filler. It's all the hot moments with none of the 3am blank stares.

The part I'm most proud of is by far the Spelunky segments. Damn that game makes for good video. Especially when you involve 3 other knuckleheads and a shitload of bombs. There is so much goddamn spelunky happening that I had to resort to doing a supercut of every explosion just to try and fit most of it in.

Anyways, I decided to start an actual Youtube Channel now that I'm sure I'll continue to do at least one or two of these types of video a month. It's called Beautiful Axe, it's got a hot logo and everything. Future videos from me will be uploaded there instead of my personal channel. I had said that I was going to try an do all the Extra Life streams but considering how much effort this one took, I may do some shorter videos in between to try to change things up a bit.

IF YOU DON'T HAVE AN HOUR TO KILL

Watch it on Youtube, expand the description for the video, there you will find a full index of every segment I edited together along with a handy timestamp so you can skip straight the part you want to see. Here are some choice moments: Dave Lang's Giant Bomb Tier Chart / #AllAboutTheMoms, "Danny O'Boyle", Samurai Gunn Flawless Victory, Spelunky 99 Bombs Supercut

IF YOU DO HAVE AN HOUR TO KILL

Duder, you're the best. Seriously you won't be disappointed. It's all hot content.

CByrne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm 43 minutes in and I approve. I caught most of this live and it captures the important stuff. Also did you do some audio leveling? I remember the stream being terrible in that regard.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By cornbredx

I'm mostly surprised you figured out lightworks so quickly. I tried it before and found it really daunting and couldn't figure out how to do even basic cuts with it. I ended up using Videopad Video editor.

The best thing about the Iron Galaxy x Giant Bomb stream was when Dave fell asleep. So funny.

Mario showing how he practices against himself on two different controllers was really cool too.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm definitely watching this. I didn't watch annnnnnnny of it live.

Phili151

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Top work duder!

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Awesome! I couldn't bring myself to go back into the archive to look up everything I missed so I'll definetly check this out later.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks duder, I didn't really want to watch all of this to get to the good bits. I appreciate your day long sacrifice to share this with us.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

I haven't watched this yet but I will. That must've been a monster-sized lightworks project. Good job.

RenegadeDoppelganger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cornbredx: I definitely had to look up a few tutorials to get familiar with the LW. For my first video I just dragged and dropped all the videos directly onto the timeline, set a bunch in/out points and then deleted the marked sections. For this video I used cue points to label everything before I did any deleting, came in very handy when I needed timestamps for Youtube later, really glad I did that.

Learning keyboard shortcuts was the key to success for me, it sped things up quite a bit, there's no way I could have finished something like this without them.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Good stuff! :D

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Great job, I'll give it a watch over the weekend!

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

That was great! Please do the other extra-life segments (is that what they would be called?). Even if it kills you. =P

aznan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Never would have watched any of the extra life stuff otherwise, but will definitely give this a go. Thanks a bunch!

ToniMcKernt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

great job man!

RenegadeDoppelganger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbyrne: Yes, I had to do a little tinkering with the audio because for large chunks of that stream the audio was clipped to all hell (though the Steve Lin donation was too good not to use). Also apparently there were parts where people just sat down and didn't get mic'ed up so I avoided using those parts as well (except for the bit where noah mumbles something about gamergate and Dave loses it)

@james_hayward: Size wasn't too bad actually. 18GB in 'High' quality video files. Luckily I had the foresight to not download the 'HD' versions which were roughly double the file size.