So is Sonic CD worth playing, can you go back to it? I never have played it.

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ALavaPenguin

Well, it is on steam for basically 1 dollar now, and I have always had trouble going back to old sonic games, and I always feel I hear on the podcasts and stuff people talking most fondly of sonic CD [or maybe I remember wrong?]. Is this the one I should go back and try? Or should I not bother.. I have never played this one, but somehow in my memory it is stuck as the one people talk the best about?

I guess I am looking to go back to the best one of those old style sonic games to try.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The 16-bit Sonic games are all still fun and they hold up just fine. For a buck, what have you got to lose? People pay that much to recharge an imaginary stamina bar in puzzle games these days.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

Sonic CD is my favorite classic Sonic game. I played for the first time when the re-release came out on PS3. For a dollar? Go for it! (And pick the Japanese soundtrack)

Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I don't like Sonic CD, but a lot of people seem to think of it fondly. I really didn't like the level design in it. However, for only $1 it's pretty much impossible to argue against giving it a shot.

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks all, I guess I am saying, is this the one I should try and go back to or a different one? They are mostly one dollar on steam I think each with some sonic sale.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

If you don't like old Sonic games I don't see why you'd like it. It's like those but just a well done one. I really liked that game.

Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Thanks all, I guess I am saying, is this the one I should try and go back to or a different one? They are mostly one dollar on steam I think each with some sonic sale.

Oh, OK. I think it's actually Sonic 2 that people tend to put on a pedestal as the best game in the series. I personally think Sonic 3 is just as good, but it doesn't get as universally praised as 2.

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ALavaPenguin

@artisanbreads: Oh I used to like them, just when I had tried going back I hadn't really much been as into it.... I probably didn't have my heart in it though and I want to give it one more shot.

Update: Ah heck for Sonic 1, 2, 3, and CD it is less than 5 dollars, may as well get them all then :P What about sonic spinball? I love video pinball, but does that one still hold up? :P

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

@alavapenguin: Spinball doesn't hold up very well. It's not really a platformer, not really a Pinball game, but kind of both? Just my opinion.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

@alavapenguin: Spinball is really weird, great music, but it's not a great pinball game by any means.

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

K thanks!

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By flameboy84

Never been a fan personally, I don't like the level design one bit.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

With Sonic CD the levels are huge, but because you can time travel so many times in the same level you'll either find that makes it re-playable or kinda frustrating.

None of the music is memorable imo, and I find the colours used for the level design as being really garish.

For one buck though...I'd pay that.

metricchip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rebel_scum: So what you're saying is that you'd buy that for a dollar!?

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is any Sonic game worth going back to?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Sonic CD kicks ass. The levels are creative and the time travel stuff gives it a bunch of depth. I dunno why some people dissed the music, I still got some of that stuff in my head.

petethepanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By petethepanda

It's... it's interesting. Definitely a departure for the series (though I guess it was only the second one in development). I used to call it the best Sonic game, but in retrospect I think that was largely because it was so different than the rest.

tariqari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I play through the classic 2d sonic games every year. I have no nostalgic connection since I only ever had Sonic CD, I never owned a sega console, and I only played through it once in the old days. I play through them again becaus I think they are fun, quick games you can beat in a couple hours each and they are great stress releievers. I can start a classic 2d sonic game with a headache and be pain free ten minutes later.

I highly recommend grabbing Sonic CD and Sonic, Sonic 2, Sonic 3 and trying them!

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$1 is a fair price for one of the best Sonic games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61
deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Pull the trigger. I'm far from a Sonic fan but I'm digging it, especially the music.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Sonic CD holds up fine, but the level design is a bit convoluted if you ask me. Still a fun game though.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Sonic CD is incredibly overrated. It's one of the worst 2D Sonic games, by far the worst 16 bit Sonic game, and worse than many of the later handheld games (The first two Sonic Advance games are actually really good, and IMO worthy of being considered Sonic 4 and 5).

Sonic CD has some of the worst level design in the entire series. It feels like a jumbled mess of platforms and paths with no rhyme or reason. The time travel doesn't really add anything meaningful to the gameplay, the special stage is lame mode 7 wannabe, and the bosses are uninspired.

CharlesDA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CharlesDA

It's by far my favorite of the old Sonic games. The levels are far less linear and encourage you to explore for time posts and the robot generators in the past versions. I prefer the American soundtrack but both are great and have their own distinct sound. I would say ignore the special stages though.