Star Trek has been rescued from 9/11 trutherism

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

http://badassdigest.com/2014/12/05/star-trek-3-may-be-saved-as-orci-exits/

Roberto Orci, the shitty writer behind Star Trek Into Loose Change has left the project, with Edgar Wright now in the running to replace him. Orci sucks and is probably legit insane, I can't see anybody being disappointed by this news.

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I know what Star Trek is (and I like some it!) and I think I've heard of Edgar Wright, but other than that I don't know what you are talking about or why.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Dallas_Raines

@uitdetoekomst:

Roberto Orci is a hardcore conspiracy theorist, and also one half of an extremely profitable writing team. He's best known for co-writing some of the crappiest blockbusters of the last decade, most recently Amazing Spider-Man 2. He co-wrote the last two Star Trek flicks and was signed on to direct Star Trek 3, but apparently the studio despised his script and he refused to alter it.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

There's much worse things out there than Into Darkness dude. Maybe you are being harsh.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Dallas_Raines

@gamefreak9:

Into Darkness was just partially Orci, and it was still crammed with 9/11 nonsense. Imagine the Space Benghazi flick we would have got with him in full control. Perhaps the magic Khan blood would have made Kirk autistic, as part of the film's anti-vacc message.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Edgar Wright is one of the greatest film makers to have ever lived. This is great.

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bargainben

Edgar Wright seems like he could have a genuine appreciation for the franchise and not feel the need for embarrassing homages and knuckle dragging plot twists. So its an upgrade for sure, anything to keep that clown Abrams away from this and over working on Star Wars which has always been easy nonsense.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Blackout62

If Edgar Wright's writing what will that mean for Simon Pegg as Montgomery Scott.

Tiamatsword22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Tiamatsword22

@blackout62: He gets a buddy that looks like Nick Frost?

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

@gamefreak9:

Into Darkness was just partially Orci, and it was still crammed with 9/11 nonsense. Imagine the Space Benghazi flick we would have got with him in full control. Perhaps the magic Khan blood would have made Kirk autistic, as part of the film's anti-vacc message.

You're making me want to see this theoretical, terrible movie.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Edgar Wright is the best, so I'm glad he's being given a shot at a tentpole movie after Antman fell through. I'm still not convinced this has a chance at being any good, though, no matter who's behind the camera. I think the casting is fine, but tonally and visually the new Star Trek movies are all over the place, and that's unlikely to change any time soon.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

OH MY GOD LET EDGAR WRIGHT DIRECT

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Brendan

Looking at Orci's credits and then remembered Wright's work lead me to believe this is good news! I like J.J. Abrams work however so my opinion is probably meaningless.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The reboots are complete trash. I rather it just go away.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I liked the last two movies. Edgar Wright can do no wrong so I'm happy for that.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Edgar Wright!? Suddenly I'm interested in Star Trek.

As for Roberto Orci, he sounds like a loon but he's not uncommon. About, what, 10~15% of the US population think the government was involved in the 9-11 attacks? Which is pretty standard - about 10~15% of any population believes in outlandish conspiracy theories. There's some Australians who think that our Government was behind the Port Arthur Massacre as an excuse to "take away the guns". The US has a sizeable amount of crack-pots who think that school shootings are "government orchestrated". Quite a few people believe the moon landings were faked as well. Conspiracy theories are popular because they make the believer feel as if they are smarter than the "sheeple" around them. Most conspiracy theorist believers are poor, downtrodden and powerless. Believing you have "insight" into the secret machinations of power allows one to feel grand and important and oh-so-very-clever. Hence, the attraction of said theories. Also, conspiracy theories are often cooler and more exciting than the relatively humdrum truth.

To quote SMBC: a Conspiracy theorist is someone who "believes anything that sounds cool enough".

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'll be very happy if Edgar Wright ends up being in charge of this.

Napstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Praise the sun there is hope for another great Star Trek movie. They should make sure all of Orci's stink is removed from the film

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

His resume is full of boring action flicks.

Oh gross, there's going to be a sequel to Now You See Me?

Kazzenn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they want me to care about a modern Star Trek film, having Edgar Wright at the helm definitely helps.

krampasYulog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this excites me, because I had pretty much written off Star Trek 3 after the last one. I had an uncharacteristically negative reaction to Into Darkness that still confounds me to this day. I don't know if I've ever disliked a movie more, and I halfway enjoyed the 2009 reboot.

Edgar Wright is pretty amazing though. I've managed to enjoy just about everything I've seen of his. Hope this works out better for him than Ant Man did.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Huh?

I don't understand what this topic is about.

I liked the reboot of Star Trek. I was never a fan of the original Star Trek stuff, though, so I guess I don't matter or whatever. I think it's a legitimately fun movie, though. Into Darkness starts off really slow, but I like where it goes (although it's not as good as Wrath of Khan which is the only Star Trek movie I've ever liked before the reboot- but that's not a big deal to me).

You seem to have a lot of bias just because the guy is eccentric. I say so what? Stop giving the guy shit for believing stuff you don't. Let his work and the impact it makes speak for itself.

Also, Edgar Wright is awesome. Just unequivocally. I'm glad Scott Pilgrim didn't ruin his career (even though that movie should have done much better than it did). He needs to make movies until the end of time, even if at some point he runs out of steam and just makes odd movies like what Kevin Smith started doing.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I don't care for the new Star Trek movies but I'm glad to hear someone crazy aren't making them, I think..!

Sometimes "crazy people" make the best art though.

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Orci is still writing and producing, he has only stepped down as director

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bargainben

Huh?

I don't understand what this topic is about.

I liked the reboot of Star Trek. I was never a fan of the original Star Trek stuff, though, so I guess I don't matter or whatever. I think it's a legitimately fun movie, though. Into Darkness starts off really slow, but I like where it goes (although it's not as good as Wrath of Khan which is the only Star Trek movie I've ever liked before the reboot- but that's not a big deal to me).

You seem to have a lot of bias just because the guy is eccentric. I say so what? Stop giving the guy shit for believing stuff you don't. Let his work and the impact it makes speak for itself.

Also, Edgar Wright is awesome. Just unequivocally. I'm glad Scott Pilgrim didn't ruin his career (even though that movie should have done much better than it did). He needs to make movies until the end of time, even if at some point he runs out of steam and just makes odd movies like what Kevin Smith started doing.

Oh it does. That's why its such a relief to have him off this project.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is excellent news. The new films looked cool, but were really poorly written and were dumb in all the worst ways. When Star Trek is bad, it should be bad in a fun way, like Star Trek V.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's good news! He's a real lazy hack and I'm sick of his schlock dominating Hollywood. I definitely be ok with an Edgar Wright helmed Star Trek.

EternalVigil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By EternalVigil

I really hated Into Darkness, and once I learnt more about Orci and how is twitter was full of 9/11 conspiracy bullshit I liked the guy even less. I like Edgar Wright a lot, so the third film might have some hope now.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rigas:

He'll recieve credits for the work he did(which is pretty standard), but he is no longer involved with the film. His whole script could be dumped and he'll still be credited.

Anyway, for the record, I enjoy the breakneck pace and enthusiasm of 2009 Trek.

Discoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like either of the new Trek movies just because they seem to be an affront to the basics of Star Trek. I like Edgar Wright but I think we'd get more of the same style over substance, but at least the story would be presentable. Conspiracy bunk aside, Orci is just a terrible writer.

Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 18

#31  Edited By Chocobodude3

Please let Edgar Wright do this movie.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

[Insert extreme no-wiggle-room opinion here]

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Star Trek is not even Star Trek anymore but I am glad if they don't make it into some conspiricy bullshit. I just want another TV show. But then maybe I don't. Doubt they can make something as good as TNG or DS9 again.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Into Darkness wasn't great, but it was still better than Nemesis. The 2009 movie was good enough that I hold out hope still for the third one

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I liked JJ's first two Star Trek movies and Edgar Wright running the third is the best thing that could happen. It's nothing new for Star Trek's big screen efforts to strive for exciting action and attempt to appeal to broader audiences. Abrams was just the most successful at it.

What I'd like to see is Star Trek make a return to the small screen. On TV they can tell intimate stories that hold up a mirror to contemporary social issues and ponder the nature of humanity in fantastical settings. The last movie seemed like the perfect set up for a new series. I love this cast and would love to see them in a TV series, even if it's just a limited mini-series. I know they are all big shot movie stars and it's probably not realistic. Even if it's without this cast I'd like to see what Star Trek on TV would be like in a post JJ Abrams world. Especially now that TV is a much more respectable medium then it was when the last Trek show aired.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Shortbreadtom

I actually liked all of the satire Into Darkness did about post 9/11 America. I guess not being American might have something to do with it, but I liked the alternative view it offered instead of the "What a tragedy, rally together America fuck the terrorists" angle that most games, books, TV shows and movies have.