Starcraft II Multiplay - Man do I suck

MDomier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By MDomier

Ok GB community, help me out on this one.  I have been playing SC II since it came out.  I love it.  I've been playing with buddies since I got it.  We did the whole 2 or 3 vs AI on Medium...then moved to Hard.  Hell, I've even done it on very hard with buddies and we squeak by with a win.  So now comes the part where I tell how bad I get worked online against other people.  

I either play as the Terran or the Protoss.  I can defend against rushes, but man everything else I do ends in me getting slaughtered about 15 min into the game.  Do you guys have any advice on how I can improve.  I definitely know I need to work on my hot keys because right now I'm a point and click kind of guy and that really inefficient.  I still find it hard to believe that I'm so bad that I can't beat anyone.  What advice do you guys have for a man who love SC II, but is sucking at it.  Any advice for build or anything is greatly appreciated.  I play roughly 10 - 15 hours a week. (which is about to come to a crashing halt with a new baby here any day!!!!) 

Thanks, 

MD.

MDomier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By MDomier

Ok GB community, help me out on this one.  I have been playing SC II since it came out.  I love it.  I've been playing with buddies since I got it.  We did the whole 2 or 3 vs AI on Medium...then moved to Hard.  Hell, I've even done it on very hard with buddies and we squeak by with a win.  So now comes the part where I tell how bad I get worked online against other people.  

I either play as the Terran or the Protoss.  I can defend against rushes, but man everything else I do ends in me getting slaughtered about 15 min into the game.  Do you guys have any advice on how I can improve.  I definitely know I need to work on my hot keys because right now I'm a point and click kind of guy and that really inefficient.  I still find it hard to believe that I'm so bad that I can't beat anyone.  What advice do you guys have for a man who love SC II, but is sucking at it.  Any advice for build or anything is greatly appreciated.  I play roughly 10 - 15 hours a week. (which is about to come to a crashing halt with a new baby here any day!!!!) 

Thanks, 

MD.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Aus_azn

Don't worry, buddy. Me and my friend, as a 2vAI team got spanked by the AI on medium, random (which usually amounts to Zerg and Terran). We've reduced ourselves to playing Custom Games against each other and our friends due to comparable skill. What's sort of sad, is that he used to be *decent* at competitive BW; SC2 is just not his game. We can't be assed to start laddering when we know that we'll end up in bronze league anyway.

EDIT: I play Zerg, he plays Protoss. And yes, I know that Zerg sucks horribly right now. It's just the system that I'm used to, and explains why playing Terran annoys the crap out of me in campaign. But I only know Terran hotkeys now and not Zerg ones...

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Binman88

My problem is not knowing what to do once I've got a ton of resources coming in - if the game lasts longer than 20 minutes for example. I'm fairly quick (though mostly still using the mouse) in the early stages, but when I have a ton of things to start doing I just get a bit confused.  

So far, for longer games as Terran, I've been winning by accruing tonnes of resources through 5 or 6 refineries and a dozen mules from 3 or 4 command centers whenever I get the chance to drop them. If my initial waves of reapers and ghosts didn't put an end to my opponent early on, I quicklly build a couple of starports with the reactor add on, and an armory. Immediately I start researching aircraft weaponry at the armory and start pumping out vikings to a quiet area of the map. When my opponent starts his major attack on one of my bases, I gather up my vikings and drop them in behind his main, destroying as much of his base as possible, and potentially drawing his army back home, giving me a chance to create even more vikings as my workers keep building up my resources and my starports remain unscathed. 

I say just keep at it, and place yourself in 1v1 as soon as possible (skip the practice matches). I've done fairly well, considering I'm completely new to the game (didn't play in the Beta), and I'm currently at 11th place, with 54 wins to 43 losses in 1v1 bronze league. Like anything else, all it takes is practice - eventually you'll figure out routines and build orders that work best for you, and you'll naturally just get better at doing everything you need to do.

codejunkie83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By codejunkie83

I'm right there with you guy. I love the game, I just hate getting pummeled continuously. I think that once I finish my placement matches it will be more fun, but for now I just get rolled over no matter if I tech or rush. Of course, like everyone says, practice will help. Watch some YouTube videos/replays if you want to and you can see other players' tactics. Those alone have helped me a ton. Anyway, good luck, and have fun with it above all else - it is, after all, just a game.

Thisguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Thisguy

Well eventually if you keeping losing in  theory you should get matched with other people around your level. One thing i would recommend is you may want to try playing as Zerg if you don't mind. It's what i use to use in SC1, when i played and rushing seemed a good way to compensate until I became more familiar with hot keys.