The Curious Case of Benjamin Button in Review!

Avatar image for thelawnwrangler
TheLawnWrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

Edited By TheLawnWrangler

"Hey man this is like Forrest Gump minus the entire retardization situation"

The hick behind me in line for tickets was mostly right.

In general this movie reminded me ALOT of Forrest Gump. The narration thats occasionally cut off, the humor, the emotional factor and the timing of him meeting different characters are all very similar. It's not a bad thing, but while it's a good movie, some things felt rushed and like it could've been so much better. Basically, Benjamin is born the day the first World War ended. Benjamin was born... old. He proceeds to try and live his life backward. It's an interesting idea (seeing him try and endure things with his condition was... i'll say well written. The character Daisy (Benjamin's love interest) is very unlikable (at all ages) and it makes it kind of rough to watch. The secondary characters we only know for a short while are excellent. Captain Mike (portrayed by Jared Harris) is my favorite character throughout the entire time he was on screen. His rowdyness and the fact that he's basically drunk the entire time make him lovable for some reason (the other characters' traits do the same justice). Brad Pitt did a great job the entire movie. The only flaws were that he barely showed emotion. The only time he ever had to choose or decide about his life is like... well I dont wanna give spoilers, but its only once or twice. I'm just ragging on the movie now. The film is great and very memorable. Emotional, humorous, and inspirational; The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is a one of a kind movie. Also if you liked Forrest gump as much as I did, watch it.

4.5 out of 5.0

Notes:
-Alot of sex... like Benjamin and Daisy have ALOT of sex (not that it's a bad thing lulz)
-Timing of certain events throughout the movie were horrible. If they were placed earlier or later, they could've had a better emotional effect (maybe even some tears)
-One of the characters (an old man I forgot his name) has a running gag in which he was struck by lightning SEVEN TIMES. It's hilarious b/c of the extra ragtime clip of him doing something... then getting struck by lightning. While it's not necessary, it is in a what important and great comic relief.
-The movie ends in 2003 during the Katrina Hurricane (it took me a while to figure it out lol)
-When the main characters die (of age), you'll feel robbed. The ending could've been MUCH better
-When they (Daisy and Benjamin) meet in the middle (50 yrs. old), it really isn't... heartfelt
-Great Movie, there are just little flaws, please watch it. lol
TheLawnWrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By TheLawnWrangler

"Hey man this is like Forrest Gump minus the entire retardization situation"

The hick behind me in line for tickets was mostly right.

In general this movie reminded me ALOT of Forrest Gump. The narration thats occasionally cut off, the humor, the emotional factor and the timing of him meeting different characters are all very similar. It's not a bad thing, but while it's a good movie, some things felt rushed and like it could've been so much better. Basically, Benjamin is born the day the first World War ended. Benjamin was born... old. He proceeds to try and live his life backward. It's an interesting idea (seeing him try and endure things with his condition was... i'll say well written. The character Daisy (Benjamin's love interest) is very unlikable (at all ages) and it makes it kind of rough to watch. The secondary characters we only know for a short while are excellent. Captain Mike (portrayed by Jared Harris) is my favorite character throughout the entire time he was on screen. His rowdyness and the fact that he's basically drunk the entire time make him lovable for some reason (the other characters' traits do the same justice). Brad Pitt did a great job the entire movie. The only flaws were that he barely showed emotion. The only time he ever had to choose or decide about his life is like... well I dont wanna give spoilers, but its only once or twice. I'm just ragging on the movie now. The film is great and very memorable. Emotional, humorous, and inspirational; The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is a one of a kind movie. Also if you liked Forrest gump as much as I did, watch it.

4.5 out of 5.0

Notes:
-Alot of sex... like Benjamin and Daisy have ALOT of sex (not that it's a bad thing lulz)
-Timing of certain events throughout the movie were horrible. If they were placed earlier or later, they could've had a better emotional effect (maybe even some tears)
-One of the characters (an old man I forgot his name) has a running gag in which he was struck by lightning SEVEN TIMES. It's hilarious b/c of the extra ragtime clip of him doing something... then getting struck by lightning. While it's not necessary, it is in a what important and great comic relief.
-The movie ends in 2003 during the Katrina Hurricane (it took me a while to figure it out lol)
-When the main characters die (of age), you'll feel robbed. The ending could've been MUCH better
-When they (Daisy and Benjamin) meet in the middle (50 yrs. old), it really isn't... heartfelt
-Great Movie, there are just little flaws, please watch it. lol
Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Gunner

I agree mostly, it was a pretty decent movie.. I thought it could use a bit more funny moments in it though.

mcrproductions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By mcrproductions

Good movie. I agree with your score but for different reasons. I didn't think it was rushed at all. It had a steady pace but lacked soul for certain charcters. Totally agree with the Captain Mike thing though!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By jakob187

1.  A LOT of sex?  Like, nude sex or just "making love" sex?  Because if you say there's sex, I'm expecting Cate Blanchett tits, sir.

2.  Your overall breakdown at the end of your review...doesn't match up well with your 4.5 out of 5 rating.  The general review, however, does.  Therefore, I'm trying to figure out whether you actually liked this movie or not.

3.  Did you like Zodiac?

4.  When you say that it's like Forrest Gump...like...how MUCH like Forrest Gump?  I'm not interested in seeing that shit fest all over again.

Answers would be appreciated, thanks a ton.  Nice review also...but check bullet #2 ^^^ up there.
Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Optiow

I might atually see this.

Voldy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Voldy

I might consider trying to watch it again. I put it on before christmas and never watched it long enough for Benjamin to get out of that elderley home, the movie spent way too long in there...

mcrproductions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mcrproductions

I didn't think it was that much like Forest Gump, but it has its similarities.

TheLawnWrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheLawnWrangler

thanks for constructive criticism jakob i actually need that (if i want to be a writer, it's totally necessary)

mcprodctions:  i agree with the soul thing, and I just saw it like Forrest Gump (because I watched it before I left for the theater)

Jakob187: making love... sorry. yeah i do spend alot of time ragging on the movie and might've given it too high of a score (i didn't want to give it too low of a score because it's a really good movie, but there are just small things). Nope, never saw it but Jake Gyllenhall is alright (dont know if i spelled the last name right though lol). I saw like forrest gump because of the narration (and when it gets cut off), the light but great humor, the war (small small portion), his condition (different from other people), and the progression of decades. That's how i viewed it, but that's just opinion so yeah... just watch it (again a good movie). I'll also work on my reviews (i hope to get better over time XD)

Voldy and Optiow: yup yup, watch it!!! (or watch it again!)
BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

I'm not going to see this movie because the premise makes no sense at all, fucking lame. Why not just have him be born a bowling pin that turns into Brad Pitt later in life? Would make about as much sense. I'll never see it, 2/5 stars. 

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RetroIce4
BiffMcBlumpkin said:
"I'm not going to see this movie because the premise makes no sense at all, fucking lame. Why not just have him be born a bowling pin that turns into Brad Pitt later in life? Would make about as much sense. I'll never see it, 2/5 stars. "
LMAO! I love you. Isn't that messed up though? Isn't he 15 doing it with a 15 year old girl, but looks like he is 70? Eww...
BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
RetroIce4 said:
"BiffMcBlumpkin said:
"I'm not going to see this movie because the premise makes no sense at all, fucking lame. Why not just have him be born a bowling pin that turns into Brad Pitt later in life? Would make about as much sense. I'll never see it, 2/5 stars. "
LMAO! I love you. Isn't that messed up though? Isn't he 15 doing it with a 15 year old girl, but looks like he is 70? Eww..."
Seriously? On second thought this movie sounds awesome.
clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By clubsandwich
RetroIce4 said:
"BiffMcBlumpkin said:
LMAO! I love you. Isn't that messed up though? Isn't he 15 doing it with a 15 year old girl, but looks like he is 70? Eww..."
dude, that's fucking sexy, I have to watch this.