The Red Ring Strikes Back!

darro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Edited By darro

15 months since I got my 360 back after getting it repaired, it has once again succumbed to the infamous Red Ring of Death.  To tell you the truth, I was waiting for it to happen since my 360 tended to not shut off properly whenever I used the controller to turn it off.  The lights will be off but you can still hear it still on and it has been like this for quite a while. 

Was playing RE5 co-op with my friend Denis aka D-Boy and all of a sudden it froze.  Turned it off and turned it back on only to see them lovely red lights flashing on my console.  One thing I can be happy about is that I haven't had as many problems getting 360s repaired and that as someone like Eric (Devean) who has gone through 6 of them.  This is only my 2nd 360 but has been repaired before. 

To tell you the truth, I honestly don't know what I should do.  One part of me is thinking get it repaired again but whats the point if its going to end up happening again down the road since it was already repaired once before.  Plus I might have to pay for it since that whole 3 year warranty for me is up now (although maybe not since this one I have is a replacement one I got in May 06 from one I got in March that year because it had AV problems).  Another part is saying just get an Elite when I have the money, which I do at the moment but I just spent money on a DSi and would rather save some.  Besides, its not like there is anything coming out over the next few months I am dying to play although I want to play them nonetheless (Chronicles of Riddick, Tales of Vesperia, GH Metallica etc). 

Also, haven't really been updating at all to tell you the truth but I am in a bit of a gaming slump and have not really played a whole lot over the past week.  With this happening now, that is probably going to get a bit worse.  What I have been mainly doing over the last several days is surfing the net and watching Royal Rumbles as part of the RR anthology I got last week.  Ordered the Summerslam one, which will probably be here this week.  WM will have to wait until I can find it at a reasonable price.

I might do a video blog this week but it depends on how I feel.  My 24th birthday is coming up at the end of this month and I have booked the week off work for that because I would rather have the day off work on my birthday than going in. 

That is pretty much all I have to say on this situation.  Let me know what you guys think I should do.  Until then, take care, keep on gaming and toodles!

darro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By darro

15 months since I got my 360 back after getting it repaired, it has once again succumbed to the infamous Red Ring of Death.  To tell you the truth, I was waiting for it to happen since my 360 tended to not shut off properly whenever I used the controller to turn it off.  The lights will be off but you can still hear it still on and it has been like this for quite a while. 

Was playing RE5 co-op with my friend Denis aka D-Boy and all of a sudden it froze.  Turned it off and turned it back on only to see them lovely red lights flashing on my console.  One thing I can be happy about is that I haven't had as many problems getting 360s repaired and that as someone like Eric (Devean) who has gone through 6 of them.  This is only my 2nd 360 but has been repaired before. 

To tell you the truth, I honestly don't know what I should do.  One part of me is thinking get it repaired again but whats the point if its going to end up happening again down the road since it was already repaired once before.  Plus I might have to pay for it since that whole 3 year warranty for me is up now (although maybe not since this one I have is a replacement one I got in May 06 from one I got in March that year because it had AV problems).  Another part is saying just get an Elite when I have the money, which I do at the moment but I just spent money on a DSi and would rather save some.  Besides, its not like there is anything coming out over the next few months I am dying to play although I want to play them nonetheless (Chronicles of Riddick, Tales of Vesperia, GH Metallica etc). 

Also, haven't really been updating at all to tell you the truth but I am in a bit of a gaming slump and have not really played a whole lot over the past week.  With this happening now, that is probably going to get a bit worse.  What I have been mainly doing over the last several days is surfing the net and watching Royal Rumbles as part of the RR anthology I got last week.  Ordered the Summerslam one, which will probably be here this week.  WM will have to wait until I can find it at a reasonable price.

I might do a video blog this week but it depends on how I feel.  My 24th birthday is coming up at the end of this month and I have booked the week off work for that because I would rather have the day off work on my birthday than going in. 

That is pretty much all I have to say on this situation.  Let me know what you guys think I should do.  Until then, take care, keep on gaming and toodles!

DeVeAn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By DeVeAn

From what I am hearing, the new arcade units are more reliable. You could buy one of those and swap the HDD on and your good to go. I will probably get RROD again because the elites are being discontinued and i got a refurb back.

DBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By DBoy

Eric is right.  You should get an Arcade unit and just transfer your HDD in there.  Send out your other one to get repaired too, then you'll have 2 of them in case the Arcade breaks.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By LiquidPrince

I'm always sad to hear people getting red ringed.

ElectricHaggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By ElectricHaggis

15 months is a good run for a 360.  Although it's quite depressing that you just have to accept that it will break at some point.

RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By RenegadeSaint

Hopefully MS will pick up the tab.  If not, you could always settle for an Arcade and throw your HDD on top of that.  Definitely more cost effective.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
ElectricHaggis said:
"15 months is a good run for a 360.  Although it's quite depressing that you just have to accept that it will break at some point."
Totally agree. I've gone through 4 in a span of two years, and I hate that it's simply a fact of life that my current 360 will die just like those others before it.
darro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By darro

Thanks for the feedback guys.  I am going to get an Arcade one since it will be the best idea as I have the 120gb HDD anyway and no point getting the most expensive version of the 360.  I will probably wait until the end of the month when my birthday comes around since I haven't really been playing much on the 360 and honestly, it hasn't got to me as much as it did last time (a week before Mass Effect, a game I was dying to play came out). 

Let you know what happens.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By subject2change

Ya for 200 bucks get an arcade, see if MS will repair your console for free and then just sell it on eBay/Craigslist to make your money back. It'd be silly to hold onto another unit in case the arcade breaks just re-sell and you are back at your current financial state and able to buy a couple of upcoming games with that money.

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By teh_destroyer

Lucky for me I am on my 3rd 360 and have had no problem for almost 3 years.Yes that is from sending it in to get it repaired.