The Wise Man's Fear (coming March 1, 2011)

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By EvilTwin

"There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in a storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man."

I wish I could add more to the title, but I cannot.  And what I posted seemed to be the most pertinent information to me.   

No Caption Provided
The Wise Man's Fear is the sequel to Patrick Rothfuss' highly successful first novel The Name of the Wind which came out in 2007.  I've been greatly anticipating this and now we are less than a week away.  I have no idea what kind of interest there is for this on Giant Bomb, but I figured since I couldn't find a topic on it a few days ago (and since the search seems to be broken today), that I would make one for like minded individuals to post in to share their excitement.  If this topic does gain any kind of traction and continues to be relevant after the book comes out, I would ask that everyone be respectful and mark spoilers based on chapter when posting.  

For The Uninitiated

The Name of the Wind is the first of a fantasy trilogy (yes, go ahead and get the groans out now), The Kingkiller Chronicle, by Patrick Rothfuss.  It is Pat's first book, and was highly regarded by many when it came out in 2007.  Instead of inserting a bunch of author quotes and snippets from reviews, I'll just let his website do that.  The trilogy is unique in that each book takes place over the course of a single day in the present where the main character (Kvothe) is telling the story of his life so far.  He's much better at that than I am, though, so I'll post this beautiful passage wherein he tells you a bit about himself. 

My name is Kvothe (pronounced nearly the same as "quothe").  I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings.  I burned down the town of Trebon.  I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life.  I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in.  I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day.  I have talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep.  You may have heard of me.

The Man in Question

For those of you who are already fans of Mr. Rothfuss, but have never visited his blog, I would highly recommend it.  For starters, he updates regularly which is more than most bloggers can say.  And he is also just about the coolest nerd you will ever meet.  He plays D&D and video games, loves Joss Whedon, is incredibly involved in his charity of choice, and has an amazing beard.   

2 of those 5 things could be inferred from this photo.
2 of those 5 things could be inferred from this photo.

And with that, I leave this topic in your capable hands Giant Bomb. 
EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By EvilTwin

reserved (which is just a polite way of saying "first")

DallyDoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By DallyDoll

Oh god, I've been waiting for this book to come out since Spring 2008. I can't believe it's actually (finally) happening!
EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By EvilTwin
@DallyDoll said:
" Oh god, I've been waiting for this book to come out since Spring 2008. I can't believe it's actually (finally) happening! "
I think I read it in 2009, so I haven't been waiting for quite as long as you, but I'm glad someone here shares my excitement. :)
MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By MarkWahlberg

I don't usually read fantasy stuff nowadays, but I checked out the first one, and it was kind of a nice throwback to the what I read as a kid. Very strong influences from the Earthsea, and even a bit of the Lost Years of Merlin books.  It's not great, and it's not all that original, but it was amusing for what it was. Curious to see where he goes with the next one. 

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By EvilTwin

Bumping because I just picked up my copy.  Am I alone here?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By AhmadMetallic

i think you are!

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EvilTwin
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" i think you are! "
At least I have you.
Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Enigma777

My copy shipped yesterday! 

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Think I'll get a copy for spring break. The first one saved my ass on a long plane ride, so I might as well be consistent.

DallyDoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By DallyDoll

I got my copy Tuesday but I'm waiting to start reading this weekend :)
Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#12  Edited By Jazz

Got my copy on Tuesday but I'm enjoying a reread of the first novel. 
One of the best written novel I have read in a very very long time, and the new one is a wonderful doorstop regardless of quality,

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By veektarius

I put the first book down after a couple chapters because I found the main character unlikable.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#14  Edited By SMTDante89

A friend of mine got his copy.  He's basically swearing off all human contact during his spring break until he has read it.