This, I believe college told me to.

DanteTheRoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By DanteTheRoman

Many eons ago, a length of two months, a junior in college walked into his first journalism class. "Different!" The professor said. This class was going to be entirely different than any other class he had taken before. Journalism 101 was going to revolutionize the way he believed the world to be.

That was cool since he didn't believe the world to be anything than stressful and entertaining at times. He was excited to learn how to write articles and to improve his writing skills past a dinky creative writing high school diploma. All of this came before the student had laid his eyes upon the syllabus. The student's dreams came crashing down around him like a glass ceiling had caved in. Never in all of his life was he forced to produce a YouTube video for a grade. Never in all his life was he assigned to publish an article. Never in all of his life had he even fathomed the idea of starting a blog.

Yet here I am. Dante has finally given in. My grade depends on it. That same professor has asked me to start a blog, explaining my dreams and aspirations, and what they mean to me. I feel as if he's not going to like my views by the end of this segment, but here goes. If you can't tell by now, whether or not it's any good, I love to write. I've wanted to write things since I learned that you can get paid for writing things. Being a hardcore GiantBomber, I've seen lots of their stuff. I've been a regular reader and view of the site for over two years. I've seen most of their Quick Looks, I've sat through every episode of their endurance runs and have read every article I mouse across. Though I grew up following the amazing Adam Sessler, these gentlemen are what made me decide to become a video game journalist of my own someday.

It seems as if the part where the professor won't like me has reached us finally. That's all about my belief on what journalism is, and what it means to me. Journalism is writing a story, it just happens that the story is about real things, people and is completely true. You don't have to make a profit for it. Though profit is nice, we can't all be the elitist anchor for 60 minutes who is able to cover all the brand new, hard hitting news. You have to just write an article you enjoy writing, and just put it out there. You shouldn't skip any steps though. You should edit it, and make it amazing to the best of your ability, but you should just do an article you enjoy and throw it out there. If you can find someone who wants it, great! Otherwise, just make sure people can read it. You need to make whatever skills you do have known as you have a good time practicing them.

All those eons ago, my professor also assigned me to use this blog to keep people up to date with my efforts as I look for an internship or apply for a job of some sort. So I'm going over to gamejournalismjobs.com and try to find someone to write for sometime this weekend. Until then, I'm going to post a few sort reviews here on games I've been playing recently, starting with Dishonored. News on my efforts will be posted after that review tomorrow, and any critical, positive advice and help would be appreciated, but I'm certainly not going to ask for it. For now, I'm busy revolutionizing this professor's revolution.

DanteTheRoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By DanteTheRoman

Many eons ago, a length of two months, a junior in college walked into his first journalism class. "Different!" The professor said. This class was going to be entirely different than any other class he had taken before. Journalism 101 was going to revolutionize the way he believed the world to be.

That was cool since he didn't believe the world to be anything than stressful and entertaining at times. He was excited to learn how to write articles and to improve his writing skills past a dinky creative writing high school diploma. All of this came before the student had laid his eyes upon the syllabus. The student's dreams came crashing down around him like a glass ceiling had caved in. Never in all of his life was he forced to produce a YouTube video for a grade. Never in all his life was he assigned to publish an article. Never in all of his life had he even fathomed the idea of starting a blog.

Yet here I am. Dante has finally given in. My grade depends on it. That same professor has asked me to start a blog, explaining my dreams and aspirations, and what they mean to me. I feel as if he's not going to like my views by the end of this segment, but here goes. If you can't tell by now, whether or not it's any good, I love to write. I've wanted to write things since I learned that you can get paid for writing things. Being a hardcore GiantBomber, I've seen lots of their stuff. I've been a regular reader and view of the site for over two years. I've seen most of their Quick Looks, I've sat through every episode of their endurance runs and have read every article I mouse across. Though I grew up following the amazing Adam Sessler, these gentlemen are what made me decide to become a video game journalist of my own someday.

It seems as if the part where the professor won't like me has reached us finally. That's all about my belief on what journalism is, and what it means to me. Journalism is writing a story, it just happens that the story is about real things, people and is completely true. You don't have to make a profit for it. Though profit is nice, we can't all be the elitist anchor for 60 minutes who is able to cover all the brand new, hard hitting news. You have to just write an article you enjoy writing, and just put it out there. You shouldn't skip any steps though. You should edit it, and make it amazing to the best of your ability, but you should just do an article you enjoy and throw it out there. If you can find someone who wants it, great! Otherwise, just make sure people can read it. You need to make whatever skills you do have known as you have a good time practicing them.

All those eons ago, my professor also assigned me to use this blog to keep people up to date with my efforts as I look for an internship or apply for a job of some sort. So I'm going over to gamejournalismjobs.com and try to find someone to write for sometime this weekend. Until then, I'm going to post a few sort reviews here on games I've been playing recently, starting with Dishonored. News on my efforts will be posted after that review tomorrow, and any critical, positive advice and help would be appreciated, but I'm certainly not going to ask for it. For now, I'm busy revolutionizing this professor's revolution.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Azteck

My English teacher had the idea (and I quite liked it) that instead of presenting an essay or a research in front of a room full of kids who wouldn't give two shits what you were talking about, you were to film yourself as if you held that same presentation in front of people. Meaning you still had to do the same amount of work, but without the stress of performing in front of an audience. Some people posted it on YouTube. I just chickened out and gave her a flash drive.

Also this course you're taking sounds kind of.. unorthodox? I guess that's as good a word as any for it. I'm guessing the part where you have to search for a job isn't necessarily mandatory for the journalism 101 class?

DanteTheRoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DanteTheRoman

It's okay. I probably would have 'chickened out' myself. I put my YouTube post up, but I'm not going to link it or anything, since even with many recordings and editing I still hate how nervous I was through the whole thing. For me, it wasn't the fact that people were watching, but that I my professor was going to grade it.

It's a very unorthodox class. He has made us purchase a textbooks he has written himself, and we don't have to necessarily apply for a job, as I said up top, it could be an internship or something, but he does want us to apply for something towards our 'dream job'.

Sploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Sploder

Yeah I aspire to be a journalist myself some day, gonna go to university next year for it. I have a blog where I post game review and sometimes news articles just so I can practice that sort of thing. Haven't written anything in a month though due to a lack of games to play and college starting :/

Getting new Pokemanz tomorrow though and a new walking dead is next week so I should have something to write about at least soon.

edit: Can't fucking wait until next year when I get a new laptop though, I can make Youtube videos and everything.

stonepawfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By stonepawfox

i think your writing will be great after you stop trying to be clever