Time to get Kindle-ing!

Sheetlebug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sheetlebug

I have been pondering whether I should get myself a Kindle for some time now, and I've been looking around for opinions on the thing.

So, I pose the question to you, forum goers of Giant Bomb: Do you have a kindle or some kind of e-reader? What do you like about them? What don't you like?

Thanks~ :}

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Sanity

I have a Kindle 3 and i love it, honestly i always recommended if all you want out of a kindle is to read get the e-ink version instead of the Kindle Fire, I think they call it the paperwhite or something. Its easier on the eyes and the battery life is insane. Never used a fire so i cant comment on them.

What one are you looking at anyways, the fire or the paperwhite?

TheGoatMan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By TheGoatMan1

I like mine. I've got the Kindle touch. The new paper white version sounds cool. I like having all of my books on one device. Also new books are cheaper. In addition, prices are set to come down for e-books in early 2013 due to a settlement by the major publishers due to price fixing. Only downside to e-books is you can't trade/buy used. EMBRACE THE DIGITAL FUTURE!

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Meowshi

I have the Kindle 3. The non-touch screen, e-ink version. It's a very convenient and nice e-reader. It is not a tablet. It has a keyboard and internet access, but it seriously only designed for reading books.

Reading regular books is for chumps. (especially since you can't just pirate them :x)

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SlashDance

I have a Kindle 4 and I can't think of anything I don't like about it. It's light, it's inexpensive, it has amazing battery life, I love it. Dude, buy a Kindle !

Also I had no idea there was a new one ! I kinda want to buy that thing. Higher resolution and backlight sound awesome !

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bell_End

ask yourself 'do i need one with a built in light'

if the answer is yes then a new kindle is a great idea.

if the answer is no then a new kindle would be a not so great idea.

dwgill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By dwgill

Ever since I got a kindle it has become my preferred medium for reading, although poetry tends to be a hit or miss experience with it (hard to dynamically format verse compared to prose, understandably). In a lot of ways, it got me reading again after a long stint of reading hardly anything outside of class assignments.

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By Shaunage

@Sheetlebug:

I've had a Kindle 3 since they launched and it's probably my favourite thing I have ever bought. Best value for money easily, and since then they've gotten even cheaper. Just make sure you get an e-ink one and not that Fire bullshit.

TheGoatMan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheGoatMan1

What's wrong with the fire? Was thinking of getting my daughter the new HD base model for X-mas

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sanity

@TheGoatMan1 said:

What's wrong with the fire? Was thinking of getting my daughter the new HD base model for X-mas

The fire is ok as a tablet, but its not the best option for reading, the Fire is just a tablet, not really a dedicated e-reader. E-ink is superior because its easier on the eyes, consumes very little battery life, and it looks like real paper.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Bollard

Thoughts on the Kobo Mini? I have £60 of WHSmith vouchers I need to burn so I might as well get one of these things.