Tired

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By BiggerBomb

I'm tired and the tryptophan is keeping me in a state of reduced brain function, while being too awake to fall asleep. If that made sense, at all, whatever. Silly, turkeys. How was your Thanksgiving? Mine was dece-this is not why I made this topic! Grrr....

I'm tired of not being excited by a game. I'm tired of not having a game that draws me in, that makes me want to play when I'm not playing.

Where is my new Mass Effect?

Dude, where's my new engrossing video game?

Where is my new GTA IV?

Seriously. I can't find you, new all-encompassing awesome video game.

Err...let's try, "Where is my new Oblivion?" for $500.

Fallout 3, are you the one I'm looking for?

KOTOR?

Alright, I know it would be hard to top this, but could I at least have a game that I enjoy as much as this?
Alright, I know it would be hard to top this, but could I at least have a game that I enjoy as much as this?

Why don't I have a game that makes me proud to be a gamer? Yeah, I bought Far Cry 2 for my first Holiday Season '08 gift. And it's a given, I'm disappointed. So obviously, there's no surprise for me staring at a half empty glass. But, at the same time, I feel like I'm not going to see one of those rare gems of a game come out for a very long time.

Am I wrong? Is Fallout 3 going to sweep me off my feet? Will that be Gears of War 2? Let's come from way out of left field, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts or MK vs. DCU? I'm serious, is my horizon so spectacular? These games, are they "good" in context of the year itself or are they "great" in the context of gaming? Hopefully that makes sense to you, because it sounded pretty Confucian in my head.

Christmas isn't too far off, in fact it's rapidly approaching. I've got a few games on my mind; e.g. Gears of War 2, Left 4 Dead, MK vs DCU, Fallout 3, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts (from this list of five I'll only choose three.) Is this something to really look forward to, something that can make me too excited to sleep on Christmas Eve? Or are these games that might give me a few smiles and achievement points?

What is the state of gaming? Is the gloss of technical prowess, of graphical superiority a race that is blinding the industry to what matters, gameplay? Or am I tired from Thanksgiving, typing doom & gloom at 1:00 AM EST, and suffering from momentary pessimism as a result of a disappointing game experience?

What's the verdict? I'm tired and I don't want to be tired, anymore....
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BiggerBomb

I'm tired and the tryptophan is keeping me in a state of reduced brain function, while being too awake to fall asleep. If that made sense, at all, whatever. Silly, turkeys. How was your Thanksgiving? Mine was dece-this is not why I made this topic! Grrr....

I'm tired of not being excited by a game. I'm tired of not having a game that draws me in, that makes me want to play when I'm not playing.

Where is my new Mass Effect?

Where is my new GTA IV?

Err...let's try, "Where is my new Oblivion?" for $500.

KOTOR?

Why don't I have a game that makes me proud to be a gamer? Yeah, I bought Far Cry 2 for my first Holiday Season '08 gift. And it's a given, I'm disappointed. So obviously, there's no surprise for me staring at a half empty glass. But, at the same time, I feel like I'm not going to see one of those rare gems of a game come out for a very long time.

Am I wrong? Is Fallout 3 going to sweep me off my feet? Will that be Gears of War 2? Let's come from way out of left field, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts or MK vs. DCU? I'm serious, is my horizon so spectacular? These games, are they "good" in context of the year itself or are they "great" in the context of gaming? Hopefully that makes sense to you, because it sounded pretty Confucian in my head.

Christmas isn't too far off, in fact it's rapidly approaching. I've got a few games on my mind; e.g. Gears of War 2, Left 4 Dead, MK vs DCU, Fallout 3, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts (from this list of five I'll only choose three.) Is this something to really look forward to, something that can make me too excited to sleep on Christmas Eve? Or are these games that might give me a few smiles and achievement points?

What is the state of gaming? Is the gloss of technical prowess, of graphical superiority a race that is blinding the industry to what matters, gameplay? Or am I tired from Thanksgiving, typing doom & gloom at 1:00 AM EST, and suffering from momentary pessimism as a result of a disappointing game experience?

What's the verdict? I'm tired and I don't want to be tired, anymore....
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Snail

6 am here... And I'm also tired, therefore I won't read all that. I'm sure you'll comprehend. ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By daniel_beck_90

I have the same feeling .

Dude you are severely into RPG are not you ?

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Snail
daniel_beck_90 said:
"I have the same feeling .

Dude you are severely into RPG are not you ?"
I suggest you do NOT mess with his dear Elder Scroll's IV!
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BiggerBomb

Yeah, I don't reccomend anyone messing with Elder Scrolls IV in my vicinity. The results would be catastrophic.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By daniel_beck_90
BiggerBomb said:
"Yeah, I don't reccomend anyone messing with Elder Scrolls IV in my vicinity. The results would be catastrophic."
alright , alright  chill out lol
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By atejas

What the hell is tryptophan and how does it feel?
Also, I found all four of the games you listed to be decent, if a bit disappointing.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BiggerBomb

Tryptophan is a drug (chemical, I don't know what the right term is) that's found in turkey. It makes you sleepy.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By HandsomeDead

I've bought 5 games in 6 weeks and the only ones worth a shit have been Gears of War 2 and Fallout 3. Dead Space, BK: N&B and GH:WT all seem to miss their mark and really, were it not for achievements, I wouldn't care less about them. Since GTA IV where I spent all day pacing up and down waiting for my delivery, I can't say i've been particularly excited about any game and it's sad really seeing as it's my main hobby.

Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Gameboi

I'm still wishing my life away, waiting for the next KOTOR that's in the vein of the original. Sadly, all I have to look forward to is an MMO. Don't I have enough monthly fees?

Luckily, the games you mentioned above are enough to keep me going for quite a while.  I think the state of gaming is on the up and up -- other than the tremendous costs involved in feeding our hobby.  Now that? Not so much.

Turkey day was great, by the way.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By atejas
BiggerBomb said:
"Tryptophan is a drug (chemical, I don't know what the right term is) that's found in turkey. It makes you sleepy."
Oh. For a second I thought you were engaging in activities most foul.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BiggerBomb

lulz @ atejas. Nope, the only recreational drugs I take are caffine and occasionally alcohol. Anyway, I'm glad you had a nice Thanksgiving Gamboi. It's a great holidy.

That aside, what I'm really trying to say is that I don't want a "good game" that will "tide me over." There are too many of those games. I want a game that I don't want to stop playing. A game I can play for days on end, for weeks, for months, maybe years. I want a great game that in years to come, will give me nostalgia.

Games seem to be falling short of that goal and I think developers are losing sight of what can make a game fun. I'm also a tad disappointed (more than a tad) that KOTOR III will not be a true sequel, but I do enjoy MMO's if they can be successfully executed. And if anyone can do that, it's Bioware. I trust their ability, what I do not trust is their publisher. Hopefully EA doesn't fuck this one up.

/sigh

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13  Edited By danielkempster

Great blog, BiggerBomb. Some great points in there. I agree, it's been far too long since a game actually hooked me to that extent. I think the last game that did was Half-Life 2, which I experienced earlier this year, but the game that's done that the most for me is the almighty Final Fantasy VII. Clichéd, I know, but it really did change the way I looked at games and brought me into my current mindset - that games are just as viable a medium of entertainment as music and movies. If another game could make me feel the way that FFVII did on my first playthrough, I'd consider myself genuinely enlightened.

Hold out, man. I'm still waiting for the next game that'll make me look at my hobby in a new, exciting way. Which reminds me, I should really check out Oblivion sometime...

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By Gizmo

Hey, want a engrossing RPG game?

World Of Warcraft.

Emphasis on the engrossing.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BiggerBomb

@dankempster: I'm holding on with one pinky, right now. I have an odd thing going on with Oblivion, that I'm too tired (once again) to elaborate upon with any degree of eloquence. Basically, I love the game to death, possibly more than anyother (even KOTOR.) But I always find myself in the position, having played it for various periods of time, where real life circumstances require me to stop playing or I'm an idiot and let my OCD go wild, causing me to ruin enjoyment and ultimately delte my save game. Don't try to think about that, it doesn't make sense. I know it, too. This has happened so many times, that it's hard to get back into the game.

Hopefully Fallout 3 will be my saving grace, if I ever get around to playing it...

@Gizmo:

World of Warcraft died when they decided to increase the leveling speed, add dualspecs, and lower mounts to level 30. That cheapens the experience, imo.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Gunner

Dude, all you need is World of Warcraft. I swear its not addicting!

Stealthoneill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By Stealthoneill

Im right with you on the KOTOR front, I would have loved to see an up to date RPG game that blew me away and tied me down much like the first one. I played that thing to death.

Oblivion and I have a fragile history, I <i>want</i> to play it yet I always find myself drawn in other directions. I currently have a save with alot of side quests and guilds complete, all except the mages guild. Now it will sit there until one day I look on to my shelf and thing about playing it, maybe one day ill get around to starting the story, who knows.

Never been an MMO fan myself, but I can see the attraction. With a lot of high class MMO's coming out who knows, I may fins myself drawn in to that.

On a whole I will agree with you, while games seem to be better nowadays they seem to be more focused on a 'quick fix' entertainment rather than letting gamers go in for the long haul. Most games lack in quite big areas so it leaves you with a feeling that you have picked a game up midway through development.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DualReaver

Dude, go get Indigo Prophecy off of XBL.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BiggerBomb

I tried it on my last Xbox 360, it was a mistake. I ended up deleting it right after finishing the first level. I wasn't a fan.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DualReaver

ih8uiluvthtgme:'(

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BiggerBomb

no u lye

darthzew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By darthzew

I actually had that feeling with Gears of War 2. I'm still really enjoying it, but NOTHING compares to KOTOR.