Too Poor For Skyrim

tpundsack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By tpundsack

So everyone is playing Skyrim and raving! The problem is that I haven't even finished Fallout 3 or Oblivion (both of which I bought on a Steam Holiday Sale almost a year ago....). I don't know if I can justify throwing down 60 bucks for another huge ass game... To try to take the edge off I started playing Fallout 3 again. The game still amazes me (which only makes me want to play Skyrim more). I have spent 20 hours playing and I still haven't moved the main story ahead at all. The magnitude of these types of games is overwhelming to think about.

I remember the first time I was playing Fallout 3 I headed west from Megaton to start out because it seemed as good of a direction as any. I knew nothing about the game. I played for about 10 hours and finally got a quest to head East. I remember going up over a hill and seeing what turned out to be the Washington Monument slowly rising in the background. As I crested the hill I saw the ruins of DC with all the monuments along The National Mall. I didn't even know the game was set in DC! I was blown away! I do feel I will miss the real world setting when I (eventually) move onto Skyrim, but the grittiness of post-nuclear-war DC also is wearing me down. So far, and I don't expect any difference as I continue, there are no 'nice' places in the game. This probably wouldn't bring me down as much as it is if I wasn't playing 5-6 hours at a time. I guess the fantasy world of Skyrim is calling to me... I'm sure I will answer sooner than I expect.

tpundsack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By tpundsack

So everyone is playing Skyrim and raving! The problem is that I haven't even finished Fallout 3 or Oblivion (both of which I bought on a Steam Holiday Sale almost a year ago....). I don't know if I can justify throwing down 60 bucks for another huge ass game... To try to take the edge off I started playing Fallout 3 again. The game still amazes me (which only makes me want to play Skyrim more). I have spent 20 hours playing and I still haven't moved the main story ahead at all. The magnitude of these types of games is overwhelming to think about.

I remember the first time I was playing Fallout 3 I headed west from Megaton to start out because it seemed as good of a direction as any. I knew nothing about the game. I played for about 10 hours and finally got a quest to head East. I remember going up over a hill and seeing what turned out to be the Washington Monument slowly rising in the background. As I crested the hill I saw the ruins of DC with all the monuments along The National Mall. I didn't even know the game was set in DC! I was blown away! I do feel I will miss the real world setting when I (eventually) move onto Skyrim, but the grittiness of post-nuclear-war DC also is wearing me down. So far, and I don't expect any difference as I continue, there are no 'nice' places in the game. This probably wouldn't bring me down as much as it is if I wasn't playing 5-6 hours at a time. I guess the fantasy world of Skyrim is calling to me... I'm sure I will answer sooner than I expect.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Karl_Boss

You have no reason to get Skyrim anyways if you haven't even beaten Fallout 3 or Oblivion.

Eudoxia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Eudoxia

Honestly, if you haven't finished the other 2 games especially Oblivion you should probably hold off on Skyrim. I would even wait till it went on sale. I am a penny pincher though, what do I know... or maybe suggest someone buy it for you for xmas since it is right around the corner. :)

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Vexxan

Never touched Fallout 3 and Oblivion I only played for a few hours but I'm totally hooked on Skyrim. The game's great, yo. 

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MikkaQ

I'd skip oblivion and just go straight to Skyrim after Fallout. Don't burn yourself out on the Elder Scrolls universe, cause trust me Skyrim is the one you want to be playing.

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Masha2932

Just wait a year for the game of the year edition or wait for a steam sale.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@XII_Sniper said:

I'd skip oblivion and just go straight to Skyrim after Fallout. Don't burn yourself out on the Elder Scrolls universe, cause trust me Skyrim is the one you want to be playing.

Yeah, I would go so far as to say skip both and hit up some Skyrim, this is one of my favorite games in YEARS.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Hizang

What you do is go on a few quests, clear out a few dungeons then bring back all the items with good value, sell them and then you will have enough money to buy Skyrim.

BlinkyTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BlinkyTM

I would definitely get skyrim. Trade in some games or something and buy a disc if you have to! DO. IT. NOW!

dirtyharry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dirtyharry

You don't have to 'beat' these games to enjoy them. You've played 20 hours of Fallout 3? Are you happy with that time spent? Do you want to move on? Then do it and buy Skyrim. If you want to keep playing Fallout 3 or Oblivion then do it. If you want Skyrim, why deprive yourself?

I've made my comments with no regard to your financial concerns.

No Caption Provided
Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By Still_I_Cry

This post depresses me :(

Shabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Shabs

@tpundsack: I'm with you. I spent 35 hours in Fallout 3 dicking around and barely getting anywhere in the main quest. I have a lot more exploring to do in that world. No need to jump in to another one.

I'll get Skyrim as a Game of the Year edition somewhere down the line if/when I have time.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By themangalist

Skyrim is more true to the ES universe (of Morrowind) than Oblivion. It won't hurt erasing Oblivion from your mind.

But take note, once you get into skyrim, it's going to be really hard to get back into the gamebryo engine. And i think Fallout is very very worth putting up with the shit of the engine.

thefjk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By thefjk

I see, I never beat or like both Oblivion or Fallout. Yes I know, but for whatever reason Skyrim's got my attention... RDR with swords!

tpundsack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By tpundsack

Wow, a lot of responses. I definitely think I'll skip Oblivion, probably start going through the main quest line in fallout 3 and see where that takes me. Well, after I finish the Wasteland Survival Guide (this kind of thinking is why I haven't started on the main quest at all...).

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Still_I_Cry

@thefjk said:

I see, I never beat or like both Oblivion or Fallout. Yes I know, but for whatever reason Skyrim's got my attention... RDR with swords!

Wait what?

BlinkyTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BlinkyTM

@tpundsack said:

Wow, a lot of responses. I definitely think I'll skip Oblivion, probably start going through the main quest line in fallout 3 and see where that takes me. Well, after I finish the Wasteland Survival Guide (this kind of thinking is why I haven't started on the main quest at all...).

No no. You've got it all wrong. Now turn around, go back to your computer, and buy Skyrim. RIGHT NOW!

thefjk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By thefjk

@Still_I_Cry: @Still_I_Cry said:

@thefjk said:

Wait what?

... ... ... .. Skyrim is EPIC?

tpundsack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tpundsack

Well it's one thing to be perusing Giant Bomb at work.. but it's probably another to load up steam and buy skyrim.

We'll see how I feel this weekend after another few hours of Fallout.

*loads up Steam*

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Still_I_Cry

@thefjk said:

@Still_I_Cry: @Still_I_Cry said:

@thefjk said:

Wait what?

... ... ... .. Skyrim is EPIC?

Oh, well saying it that way is much clearer.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By TheHBK

@tpundsack: Considering you have not finished those games, I would not feel so bad. I have a friend in the same position and thing is that while the instinct is to play the newest, you should play those because they are great experiences. I would actually ditch Fallout 3, and go for Oblivion, The lore and quests are pretty great and similar to skyrim. Actually, Oblivion to me is very similar. Some people are going off about how much better Skyrim is but the thing is that they are close. Improvements have been made yes but it is not like Oblivion didn't have similar quests and stuff. The graphics style is different. I kinda miss the lush green forests of Oblivion but Skryim has a good style too. But the quests are similar enough and like I said, the lore, you get it there too and it is a big part of that world that immerses you. And while you enjoy Oblivion and I am guessing you have the expansions, the Knights of the Nine is great, you can catch up and get the game of the year edition of Skyrim next year.

Raineko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Raineko

I would beat Fallout 3 first, imo that game has many aspects that make it better than Skyrim. I am not as addicted to Skyrim as I was to Fallout 3 even though it's a great game without question.

thefjk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By thefjk

@tpundsack@Still_I_Cry: Playing it on PS3 atm tho (Trophy ho) but can't help regret not buying it on Steam (Steam ho)... am I missing out? (Truth hurts)

Mageman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mageman

@Unknown_Pleasures said:

You have no reason to get Skyrim anyways if you haven't even beaten Fallout 3 or Oblivion.

It's a much better game than those two, it is pretty much the only real Bethesda game after Morrowind.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Azteck
@Unknown_Pleasures said:

Never played either of them but I still got it.
BlinkyTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BlinkyTM

@thefjk said:

@tpundsack@Still_I_Cry: Playing it on PS3 atm tho (Trophy ho) but can't help regret not buying it on Steam (Steam ho)... am I missing out? (Truth hurts)

You're missing out on mods and stuff like that. Nothing else though. Some may say PC has better graphics, looks the same to me (Some texturing is done better though).

thefjk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By thefjk

@BlinkyTM: will keep an eye out for ridiculous mods then, just incase :)

BlinkyTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BlinkyTM

@thefjk said:

@BlinkyTM: will keep an eye out for ridiculous mods then, just incase :)

Yeah, kind of wish I had a computer that could run it :P

Eudoxia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Eudoxia

@dirtyharry said:

You don't have to 'beat' these games to enjoy them. You've played 20 hours of Fallout 3? Are you happy with that time spent? Do you want to move on? Then do it and buy Skyrim. If you want to keep playing Fallout 3 or Oblivion then do it. If you want Skyrim, why deprive yourself?

I've made my comments with no regard to your financial concerns.

No Caption Provided

you must hate sex with females?