Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

Edited By DBoy

Remixed Trailer

Saints Row 2 Likes & Dislikes

What I liked about the game

• Immature fun: This game does not take itself seriously, and that makes for some great and funny moments.
  • Co-op story: The entire story, including the Activities, are playable in co-op.  Marvelous.
  • Deep character customization: The main character can be a man or a woman... or both.
  • Terrific licensed soundtrack: No B-sides to be heard here.

What I didn't like about the game

• Trimmed down multiplayer: Where's Blinged-Out Ride?  Big Ass Chains?  Do we have co-op to blame for their disappearance?
  • Cakewalk: I don't mind easy games, but this was just too easy.
  • Uneven and incoherent story: Sometimes funny, sometimes sad, flat out dumb.
  • Redundancy: The Activities are quite fun, but most of them get old after a while.

The Lowdown

In 2006, I had chosen the original Saints Row as my all-around Game of the Year.  When the sequel was announced, I already started salivating.  The salivating quickly became all-out drooling when I saw the first gameplay videos.  In a year that saw the first next-generation release of the renowned and fabled Grand Theft Auto franchise hit store shelves, Saints Row 2 had to come out swinging for the fences, hoping to hit a home run.  Thankfully, it did.  It also became quite clear that both franchises are heading into completely opposite directions.  Rockstar's franchise produced a very serious and engaging entry into it's series.  Volition Inc.'s game, on the other hand, was just balls to the wall, over-the-top craziness.  What I really enjoyed about SR 2 was just that, the silliness of it all.  Even though they trimmed down the online multiplayer component to almost nothing, the co-op was still satisfying.  Although GTA IV's story is leaps and bounds ahead, and that the Activities became redundant, the robust character creation and a superb licensed soundtrack add up to the package and are enough to place Saints Row 2 at #6 on the countdown.

The Countdown So Far

10. Fable II
9. SmackDown vs. Raw 2009
8. Gears of War 2
7. Civilization Revolution
6. Saints Row 2
DBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By DBoy

Remixed Trailer

Saints Row 2 Likes & Dislikes

What I liked about the game

• Immature fun: This game does not take itself seriously, and that makes for some great and funny moments.
  • Co-op story: The entire story, including the Activities, are playable in co-op.  Marvelous.
  • Deep character customization: The main character can be a man or a woman... or both.
  • Terrific licensed soundtrack: No B-sides to be heard here.

What I didn't like about the game

• Trimmed down multiplayer: Where's Blinged-Out Ride?  Big Ass Chains?  Do we have co-op to blame for their disappearance?
  • Cakewalk: I don't mind easy games, but this was just too easy.
  • Uneven and incoherent story: Sometimes funny, sometimes sad, flat out dumb.
  • Redundancy: The Activities are quite fun, but most of them get old after a while.

The Lowdown

In 2006, I had chosen the original Saints Row as my all-around Game of the Year.  When the sequel was announced, I already started salivating.  The salivating quickly became all-out drooling when I saw the first gameplay videos.  In a year that saw the first next-generation release of the renowned and fabled Grand Theft Auto franchise hit store shelves, Saints Row 2 had to come out swinging for the fences, hoping to hit a home run.  Thankfully, it did.  It also became quite clear that both franchises are heading into completely opposite directions.  Rockstar's franchise produced a very serious and engaging entry into it's series.  Volition Inc.'s game, on the other hand, was just balls to the wall, over-the-top craziness.  What I really enjoyed about SR 2 was just that, the silliness of it all.  Even though they trimmed down the online multiplayer component to almost nothing, the co-op was still satisfying.  Although GTA IV's story is leaps and bounds ahead, and that the Activities became redundant, the robust character creation and a superb licensed soundtrack add up to the package and are enough to place Saints Row 2 at #6 on the countdown.

The Countdown So Far

10. Fable II
9. SmackDown vs. Raw 2009
8. Gears of War 2
7. Civilization Revolution
6. Saints Row 2
BraindeadRacr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By BraindeadRacr

Hmm, I died quite often... But then again, I played the game(mostly) on Hardcore.

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By AthleticShark

The game was pretty hard for me. Maybe step it up to Hardcore?

frankthelizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By frankthelizard

I should be buying that one soon. Whenever Christmas money gets to me. What was the name of the song you used in the video?

JamesF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5  Edited By JamesF

I wasn't the biggest fan of SR2, but I did have fun for a while.

Artie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By Artie

Yeah I believe there are actual difficulty levels in Saints Row 2, I glanced over them at first, and realized they were there in the second playthrough. Normal is pretty easy, try hard.

SR2 was awesome.

DBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DBoy

I actually had forgotten there was a difficulty setting on this game... wow.  Thanks for setting me straight guys.  Guess I'm too used to the GTA games having none.

Connor: The song is Come with Me by Puff Daddy... or Diddy.... or Puffy... err... anyway, yeah, and it features Jimmy Page on guitar.  The original song is Kashmir by Led Zeppelin.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
DBoy said:
"Connor: The song is Come with Me by Puff Daddy... or Diddy.... or Puffy... err... anyway, yeah, and it features Jimmy Page on guitar.  The original song is Kashmir by Led Zeppelin."
Yes...The song was off the soundtrack for that awful Godzilla movie. I only remember it because of the music video which is probably better than the actual Godzilla movie, and it features Jimmy Page which is just awesome.

darro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By darro

Yeah the game was pretty damn easy.  There were a few missions that were slightly annoying but other than that, it was a cakewalk.  It might be harder on Hardcore but I doubt I will go through the game again unless I am getting the co-op achievements with someone.  Its a great game and enjoyed it a lot more than the 1st one for the reasons explained in my video.

MsCortana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By MsCortana

I have yet to play this one. :D

temperedvortex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By temperedvortex

this is a game i should have played when it came out. well maybe I will get this with money i get from christmas

Avatar image for lightwarrior179
lightwarrior179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12  Edited By lightwarrior179

Sorry I was a little late in joining this. SRII was one of the better games of 2008 but as far as my opinion on it is concerned it stands out unfavorably against GTA IV. 

One of the things I liked about SRII was that without mixing up the formula too much it distanced itself more from the "GTA-clone".

I am a little surprised that Gears 2 ranked on 8th but then it's your list sir. :)
Gen_Warbuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Gen_Warbuff

I never played it, therefore, I have no opinion to offer!

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bruce